2017 300 Starter Motor Removal?

3 hours ago, 2strokenut said:

Yeah, don't do it.

Thanks for the advice TT Badass! But I'm looking for the method.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2strokes_rule said:

I'd start with removing the bolts.

Ok, then what?

I found the method. It isn't an easy fix. Apparently, they are prone to water damage. If you do stream crossings and ride in a wet environment, you should try to seal the seams.

Here is the method that was offered (untested):

To remove the starter you’ll need to remove the engine from the bike or raise it slightly from the frame:

From the right
Remove the starter cover
Loosen, but not remove the starter mounting bolts

From the left, remove
The ignition cover
The flywheel
The Bendix
The retaining screw for the starter sleeve (bearing bush)
The starter sleeve
Using a right angle pic, pry gently and patiently against the lip on the sleeve, working your way around while wiggling the starter until the sleeve comes out
Friction from the O-ring on the starter, and clearance in the case half are that’s holding it place at this point
From the right
Remove the starter mounting bolts, rotate the starter slightly CCW while tipping it down and remove the starter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gelston said:

I found the method. It isn't an easy fix. Apparently, they are prone to water damage. If you do stream crossings and ride in a wet environment, you should try to seal the seams.

Here is the method that was offered (untested):

To remove the starter you’ll need to remove the engine from the bike or raise it slightly from the frame:

From the right
Remove the starter cover
Loosen, but not remove the starter mounting bolts

From the left, remove
The ignition cover
The flywheel
The Bendix
The retaining screw for the starter sleeve (bearing bush)
The starter sleeve
Using a right angle pic, pry gently and patiently against the lip on the sleeve, working your way around while wiggling the starter until the sleeve comes out
Friction from the O-ring on the starter, and clearance in the case half are that’s holding it place at this point
From the right
Remove the starter mounting bolts, rotate the starter slightly CCW while tipping it down and remove the starter.

Sorry...was just being a smart-ass.

That really does sound crazy! Thanks for the info.

You are already having trouble with the electric start on your 2017??

2 hours ago, 2strokes_rule said:

Sorry...was just being a smart-ass.

That really does sound crazy! Thanks for the info.

You are already having trouble with the electric start on your 2017??

Yes, after just 8 months... it's dead. Likely from water damage. We have quite a bit of stream crossings in Hawaii. It's a really complicated procedure to remove the starter. I hope KTM either makes the starter water proof or makes them easier to change in future models.

• Like 2

Yes, after just 8 months... it's dead. Likely from water damage. We have quite a bit of stream crossings in Hawaii. It's a really complicated procedure to remove the starter. I hope KTM either makes the starter water proof or makes them easier to change in future models.

How many hours do you have? I've got a 17 300 and ride wet conditions all the time. Just raced an enduro in Pa and there was a river crossing that was a lot deeper then I thought. I almost dumped it...

1 hour ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

How many hours do you have? I've got a 17 300 and ride wet conditions all the time. Just raced an enduro in Pa and there was a river crossing that was a lot deeper then I thought. I almost dumped it...

I have 70.8 hours on it. I cross streams almost every ride.

• Like 2

Ok, I completed the starter removal and install. It's crazy how many things need to come off the bike to replace a simple starter motor. I would have rather changed all my linkage bearings, wheel bearings, and steering stem bearings. Changing the starter is a major job. However, I was able to do the job without draining my coolant and completely removing the engine. The engine had to be disconnected from the frame and everything else (except the cooling system). I inspected the old starter and it was wet (water damage). One brush was worn down and the spring was sticking due to the wet grit inside the starter motor. The good news is the brushes are much easier to replace than the old starter models. However, I haven't been able to find any replacement brushes for sale. I guess these motors don't like river crossings. If you live in a dry area, you'll probably get much more starts from these leaky starter motors.

That's depressing. It's always wet and muddy here in Ohio.....somehow even when it's hot and dry out!

The starter has been an issue for so long and this is the "fix" KTM gave us! BOOOOOOO!

I started a starter thread ( pun intended) over on ktm talk for the '17 bikes a while ago and so far very few issues other than people running down their batteries. 

Joe

are these the same as the 2013 generation bikes?  I just picked up a 13 450 sxf with e start only thats used as a snow bike... that thing spends 100% of its life essentially in a wet/high moisture enviornment.  should I be concerned?  40 hours on the bike so far.

13 hours ago, cdf450 said:

are these the same as the 2013 generation bikes?  I just picked up a 13 450 sxf with e start only thats used as a snow bike... that thing spends 100% of its life essentially in a wet/high moisture enviornment.  should I be concerned?  40 hours on the bike so far.

The starters on the 2013 models are placed on the side of the engine. Water damage isn't much of an issue for those. They have their own set of problems, I'm not sure what year they upgraded the starter motor and gear ratio, I think it was 2014.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gelston said:

The starters on the 2013 models are placed on the side of the engine. Water damage isn't much of an issue for those. They have their own set of problems, I'm not sure what year they upgraded the starter motor and gear ratio, I think it was 2014.

2016 has the updated gear ratio.  I have a 2013 250xc where the bendix failed.  Bought a bendix, new crown wheel, and the little teflon nubs that are pressed into both sides of the ignition case from Slavens. Great customer service btw. 

Bought a new battery and E start is great for our technical single track here in CO.

Edited by billtro11
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Pretty sure that the four stroke starters are vastly different than what KTM had on their two strokes in 2013. 

• Like 2

I bought a brand new 300 xcw six days just 2 and a half months ago, only 6 hours right now and last weekend i tried to start it and it didn't, it just make a clic on the starter relay but nothing else. Trying to figure out if it is the starter or another thing.