KTM 200 sprung a leak!?

My 200 hasn't ever leaked anything, until this week.  I noticed a drop on the floor of my barn, and when I investigated I found this.

image.jpg

Initially, it was a small seeping leak from the WP drain, I tightend it and no more coolant, but now I am getting what appears to be oil seepage?  It seems like it is coming from between the bolt head and the inner clutch cover?  Any ideas on what, or why this would appear out of nowhere?  I snugged the bolt down, it wasn't that tight, didn't make a difference.  No cracks in anything that I can see.  Engine has about 60 hours since a full bottom end rebuild.  It takes about a day to leak that much.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by poldies4

Has the thread for that screw broken thru the inside of the cover ?

Didn't see it, Does that bolt require copper washer, if so is it new?

Its not a leak.

manlyman.jpg

It is simply external indication of internal lubrication.

Degrease and monitor, its not spooge?

12 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Has the thread for that screw broken thru the inside of the cover ?

That bolt goes through the cover, always has as far as I know?

12 hours ago, M1Garand said:

Didn't see it, Does that bolt require copper washer, if so is it new?

Nope, that one doesn't require a copper washer.

10 hours ago, BushPig said:

Degrease and monitor, its not spooge?

That's the plan, not spooge for sure.

I had a little time after work to clean it up and lay there while it started seeping, it appears that my WP cover gasket has failed?  I pulled the bolt in question out, no oil on the threads, or shank, and the hole was clean and dry.  What I can't figure out is how it so quickly turns that color?  My engine is clean-ish, coolant isn't dirty, any ideas?

image.jpg

Edited by poldies4

I had similiar issues when I did my bottom end. you just need one thing not to seat just right to cause a leak with aluminium cases 

If it were me I would take the whole side cover off again. get new gaskets and water pump seal. get one or two of those trackside bolts kits and just replace everything or as many bolts as you can.

Also its a very good idea to freshen up the side cover's and case's contact edge using an emery cloth and a straight edge (like a ruler). This will take off any gasket debris and uneven spots. 

Edited by 2strokezuke
2 hours ago, poldies4 said:

That bolt goes through the cover, always has as far as I know?

Nope, that one doesn't require a copper washer.

That's the plan, not spooge for sure.

I had a little time after work to clean it up and lay there while it started seeping, it appears that my WP cover gasket has failed?  I pulled the bolt in question out, no oil on the threads, or shank, and the hole was clean and dry.  What I can't figure out is how it so quickly turns that color?  My engine is clean-ish, coolant isn't dirty, any ideas?

image.jpg

When you do an oil change - you never get 100% of it out anyway - probably just left-over oil sitting in that crevice behind the cover

8 hours ago, 2strokezuke said:

I had similiar issues when I did my bottom end. you just need one thing not to seat just right to cause a leak with aluminium cases 

If it were me I would take the whole side cover off again. get new gaskets and water pump seal. get one or two of those trackside bolts kits and just replace everything or as many bolts as you can.

Also its a very good idea to freshen up the side cover's and case's contact edge using an emery cloth and a straight edge (like a ruler). This will take off any gasket debris and uneven spots. 

Last rebuild was last summer, I had JBone do it.  Haven't had any leaks or drips until now.  I raced it a few weekends ago, took about 5 hours to complete and the clutch was HOT.  Rode at my practice track last weekend, wondering if the race burned up the gasket?

I have another gasket, and an extra inner clutch cover, hopefully a WP gasket.  Hoping to ride tomorrow, planning on pulling it apart tonight. 

40 minutes ago, poldies4 said:

Last rebuild was last summer, I had JBone do it.  Haven't had any leaks or drips until now.  I raced it a few weekends ago, took about 5 hours to complete and the clutch was HOT.  Rode at my practice track last weekend, wondering if the race burned up the gasket?

I have another gasket, and an extra inner clutch cover, hopefully a WP gasket.  Hoping to ride tomorrow, planning on pulling it apart tonight. 

Maybe re torque it all.

It was the oring behind the WP cover.  2 dollar, and ten minute fix, love working on KTM's.

Clean, dry, and ready to go, thanks for the help fellas....