Riding 2 strokes with kids

Well my daughter is about riding age and of coarse she wants to ride with dad now. My current machine is a 2002 cr250, and we both plan to ride just on trails for now. My question is that what have you other dad's done in a situation like this? I really do love my bike and don't want to get rid of it, but how is it riding a 2 stroke with kids?

• Like 1

Just now, rippah said:

Well my daughter is about riding age and of coarse she wants to ride with dad now. My current machine is a 2002 cr250, and we both plan to ride just on trails for now. My question is that what have you other dad's done in a situation like this? I really do love my bike and don't want to get rid of it, but how is it riding a 2 stroke with kids?

my daughter told me she likes the 150f better than my yz we used to ride around on.. not only bc it matches her bike (both red and 421)  but its quieter and "doesn't stink" lol  ...kids

• Like 1

Depends how fast they are. Just starting you probably won't like the cr. Use to ride with my daughter on a ttr125 her on a ttr90. Was perfect.  I cant go that slow on big bikes that's when I crash lol

• Like 4

If you can, pick up any four-stroke up 250cc and you should be all set.

My boy is 7. Rides a crf50.

I have a yz250. And we have no issues. But get a kick stand so you don't need to drop your bike to help them when they bail.

But my boy is faster than some of my newbie buddies.

We also use a blue tooth communicator. Effortless Communication is a great advantage.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tchetek said:

My boy is 7. Rides a crf50.

I have a yz250. And we have no issues. But get a kick stand so you don't need to drop your bike to help them when they bail.

But my boy is faster than some of my newbie buddies.

We also use a blue tooth communicator. Effortless Communication is a great advantage.

What brand/set-up do you use? 

What brand/set-up do you use? 

I have a set of SENA s20. They have some good aspects and some negative too. But you can also rock tunes In your helmet to keep you entertained as you putt along.

With my boy I didn't ride for a month or so, he just rode backyard and fields, after that my yz was fine(1st gear blips) He rode a pw50.

Here's another question, what are you guys running for an oil to gas ratio when riding with kids? And did you change it when you started riding with your kids?

A properly tuned 2 stroke is perfect for putting around. Smoke should be barely visible. Use an oil that smells good. Soften your suspension. Side stand essential. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Here's another question, what are you guys running for an oil to gas ratio when riding with kids? And did you change it when you started riding with your kids?

32:1. Didn't change. But I did find out my jetting was not correct and learned how to dial it in.

2 hours ago, rippah said:

Not my kids, but teaching kids; kept it the same and putted alongside them.

2 strokes are the BEST for this. They don't over heat! Ok- a few may but nothing like racy 4 strokes.  My sons kx100 would. 

I've ridden with a herd of kids and ladies and still on occasion putt with the 4 wheelers. So much more enjoyable on my pinger . Half the clutch work. 

Good jetting is bliss.

You don't change oil ratio for different riding situations. Keep it at factory recommendation. Changing ratio only creates more problems, unless you know what you're doing.

If you're putting around and notice a bunch of spooge, change your jetting/carb settings.

Awesome guys thank you so much, really puts my mind at ease. I think I'll at least give it a shot and I think it will go well. Like everyone said I'll probably have to adjust my jetting. Just a little back story, growing up my dad had an ATC 250R 3 wheeler and he made it work riding with me growing up. He fouled a few plugs but he still has and rides it to this day.

One thing to keep in mind is what oil you are using.  If you are going to be doing a lot of slow riding, choose an oil with a lower flash point.  It will burn cleaner for sure.  I switched from Motul 800r to Motul 710 for slower woods riding.  The 800 has a flash point of close to 500 degrees compared to the 710 which is closer to 200 degrees.  I have noticed less smoke and unburnt oil at lower riding speeds.  That being said, my yz250x runs just as clean at low speeds as high speeds.  Proper jetting is a must as well.  So my answer would be yes, you should have no issues with it.

• Like 1

My kid rides a ktm 50sx mini and I ride a ktm 300xcw and they both been flawless. We did a mix of trail and track riding. I do wash and do any maintainence after every ride. 8742d6448f1854ef99a6a89d33aad26d.jpg

• Like 2