Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×

Are the Carbureted 08 CRF450R's Ignition Maps Programmable?

So I see the thread on programming ECU ignition maps on EFI bikes (09 and  up I believe..) but is there anything the can or needs to be done on the 08 with the 41mm FCR on it? I know it has three different ignition maps for 1st, 2nd, and 3-5th,.. since I'll be using it for the woods mostly I'm just wondering if there's anything else I need to look into?

Thanks

Rick

It's not programable, but I can tell you what it does and how it works.

The shift sensor backs the timing off in first gear, a little less in 2nd and not at all, full ignition advance in 3-5. Now, if you want a ton of HP in first and second, just unplug the shift sensor. The ignition will think the bike is in 3-5th all the time. You'll need to pay attention to what you do with that throttle. One of my customers, that I built a fire breather for, unplugged his. His knee is much better after the surgery.

• Like 1

Ha right on! I'll have to play around with that for a little bit that's for sure. My first initial thoughts on the bike when I first got it and was riding it around in the yard and on the street was - "Uhm.. where's all that power I've been reading about...??" ... But it's there, just smoother out of the gate,.. especially in 1st and 2nd,.. but makes hooking up much better and it's not as squirrely :D

Your not alone in thinking that.  My initial thoughts were the same when I rode an 08 owned.   I actually felt the 05-06 models also owned felt a tad stronger across the rpm range & not just through the 1-2 gears.  The MX mags hyped this bike up so much when it first came out I was disappointed after riding it.   I was expecting it to be a lot better than the 05-06's I had before.   

Edited by H4L

I thought the 05 and 06 that I had were monsters compared to a buddies 08. Never understood the 08 hype either.

In 07 they changed the timing curve to tone them down.  My 06 is a monster which at times is a bad thing, but when I need it to get my a$$ out of a bad situation like landing in the flats with a set of doubles  in front of me too close to steadily build speed...one greedy throttle twist on the face and it goes sailing instead of coming up short of having to brake and get bucked around.

On 8/13/2017 at 0:20 PM, tmauto69 said:

I thought the 05 and 06 that I had were monsters compared to a buddies 08. Never understood the 08 hype either.

The 05 was the worst for aggressive timing. I put that 05 ignition on my 03 with a 13.5;1 piston and the thing is a beast. it'll blow the rear tire away off the corner with regularity. But when I wanna go by somebody..its just a twist of the wrist

that would explain it then, of those two I would definitely give the nod to the 05 as far as hit went. That bike was hard to hold on to when I started to get tired.

Good info!

Since I'm not racing any more, and really not riding near as much as I used to in years past, I'm sure the smoother 08 will work to my advantage :)

Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, KeyKeeper said:

yeah mines same, it wears me out riding it which is no fun really.  Im going to score an 07 cdi soon and make it a little less violent.

So is the 07 cdi the way to go to smooth out the hit a bit? I love my 05 but the thing goes on like a light switch and it's exhausting after a while

From what Ive READ...I haven't tried it yet but will be soon, is that in 05-06 the biggest complaint from mx guys was the hit and unpredictability.  So in 07 the red team changed the timing curve to be more linear(single curve), and in 08 they added the gear position sensor to select the linear curve in the first 2 gears to further take the mad hit out and go back to the earlier type advance curve in 3-5.

• Like 1