YZ250X suspension

Hi All,

Just got new springs for my YZ250X to fit my 200 lb weight. With gear im right at 105mm of race sag. 

Took it on some enduro trails the other day, mix of rocky, rutty, rooty, and earthy double track in New Hampshire. Overall the suspension feels good, but still feels really harsh over roots. 

Current settings

320cc of Pro Honda SS7 5w

Fork - Spring 0.46 kg

15 out rebound

15 out comp

Shock - Spring 5.6kg

14 out rebound

Low Speed 11 out

High speed 1 3/4 turns out

I emailed FC and talked to someone and he said go 22 out on compression on the forks..............but they max at 20?

He also said to go 2.5 turns on the HS comp........but it maxes at 2?????? Am I talking to the wrong guy?

thanks in advance for the help

I like the compression settings at full soft, front and back, for woods riding. 

Lowering tire pressure also helps. With tubeliss I run about 6psi. in the front and less in the rear.

If you stiffen the springs then you must increase rebound damping. Slow your rebound on both ends. Easy fix. Experiment to find the sweet spot.
Anyone giving info from a suspension shop should have told you this.

17 250X.
220# no gear.
45s up front 330cc bel ray 5w 12 out on comp 14 on rebound. 6kg on rear 30 mm static 100mm race sag 12 out on comp 11out on rebound. I ride at a 40 B pace. Right now it's set up for deep nasty rooted sand and hard pack with deep whoops. When I ride Rocky terrain I soften everything up 2 clicks before riding and usually works pretty good for me.

2017 yz250x 

stock fork springs

280 mm of oil in outer chamber

4 face shims removed (was 11 now 7)

17x .3  and 15x .3 removed from mid-valve

compression = 14  rebound = 9-10

rear shock - swapped stock 4.9 for a 5.1 -  26mm free sag and 99mm rider sag

low speed compression 14 high speed = 2 turns

rebound = 6-7

"A " rider -  weight = 185 lbs

riding = varies from tight nasty single track to more open flowy single track trails

Edited by mcgradybrandt

OP, external clicker settings will only do so much and mostly affect low speed comp. and rebound (square edged hits are high speed)

Oil volume will only alter the progression of the very last 1/3rd of fork travel  (you likely won't reach that far on rocks/roots)

For rough trails, you'll get the most benefits by softening the mid-valve stack as the forks likely deflect rather than compress.

Edited by mlatour
On 10/08/2017 at 1:17 PM, NEGbrap said:

Hi All,

Just got new springs for my YZ250X to fit my 200 lb weight. With gear im right at 105mm of race sag. 

Took it on some enduro trails the other day, mix of rocky, rutty, rooty, and earthy double track in New Hampshire. Overall the suspension feels good, but still feels really harsh over roots. 

Current settings

320cc of Pro Honda SS7 5w

Fork - Spring 0.46 kg

15 out rebound

15 out comp

Shock - Spring 5.6kg

14 out rebound

Low Speed 11 out

High speed 1 3/4 turns out

I emailed FC and talked to someone and he said go 22 out on compression on the forks..............but they max at 20?

He also said to go 2.5 turns on the HS comp........but it maxes at 2?????? Am I talking to the wrong guy?

thanks in advance for the help

Try taking some oil out of the outer chamber. Remove 10ml at a time. I'm only running 280ml in mine with a few face shims removed a couple of the mid-valve shims taken out. I wouldn't want mine any plusher. You might try turning your rebound in a few clicks on  your forks and shock to give the bike a more controlled and less busy/ bouncy feel.

Thanks all. I need to learn more about removing shims before I attempt that. Messing with forks makes me nervous. I can change bushings and oil, but I have yet to remove shims.