Another should I buy this?

I'm in the market for a new(to me) bike after my klx450 went out. Definitely looking for a KTM 450xcw. Want to get fuel injected for sure. If I want to buy now and get some riding in before season ends a need to buy a little older. I could wait until next spring and buy a very lightly used bike. I could maybe afford a closeout new model but it'd be a real stretch and I'd have no money left for aftermarket stuff I want, exhaust , supermoto, and maybe street legal. 

Anyway I have a chance to buy a 2012 with only 80hrs. Guy wants $5k. It looks real good. FMF silencer  Low hours compared to some of the bikes available here that are a little newer. I need to test ride it still. Only thoughts are how good is the first year EFI? Also I know a few things changed in 2016, are those things worth waiting until spring to buy for? Not having a KTM before, is 80hrs a good place to be? Don't know how many hours people are getting on top ends and valves. 

I think 80hrs is fine, and $5k sounds like a decent price for a bike of that year with that many hours. I have heard, though, that if you're buying newer models, spring for the 2014+ if you can swing it. I can't remember exactly which changes were made or which kinks were worked out by that year, but I have heard it a few times. Maybe it was the oil migration issue or the hydraulic cam chain tensioner? Anyway, I'll see if I can dig up the threads and get more info on it. I'm sure it will be a good bike anyway, but if you have the choice to go newer it may be worth it.

EDIT: Having trouble finding what I'm thinking of, maybe it was 2010 and newer. I know by around that time, they had most of the kinks worked out on the XC4 engines. Not sure how the first year EFI is, hopefully someone else with more knowledge of these specific models will chime in. Good luck!

Edited by hershmagersh

I have a 2012 500exc that I've thrashed to death. It hasn't given me a hint of trouble.

They simplified the wiring on the '13 exc and changed cam timing to reduce some of the compression braking. I'd have no qualms over an 80 hour '12 450xcw if it's been taken care of. 

I think 80hrs is fine, and $5k sounds like a decent price for a bike of that year with that many hours. I have heard, though, that if you're buying newer models, spring for the 2014+ if you can swing it. I can't remember exactly which changes were made or which kinks were worked out by that year, but I have heard it a few times. Maybe it was the oil migration issue or the hydraulic cam chain tensioner? Anyway, I'll see if I can dig up the threads and get more info on it. I'm sure it will be a good bike anyway, but if you have the choice to go newer it may be worth it.

EDIT: Having trouble finding what I'm thinking of, maybe it was 2010 and newer. I know by around that time, they had most of the kinks worked out on the XC4 engines. Not sure how the first year EFI is, hopefully someone else with more knowledge of these specific models will chime in. Good luck!

I have a 2012 500 exc and my fi works great, no complaints at all. I had a 2011 350 as well and I loved the fi on it as well. 80 hrs is not that much for a 2012. Sounds like a good deal.
  • Like 1

Looks like you've got some good info now, seems to be a go! I always recommend trying to kick start it when you go check it out, even if it has E-start. It's a quick way to tell if the engine is in good shape and/or has been maintained well. I think the valves stay pretty rock solid on the 2008+ bikes though, so I'm sure it will fire right up. Good luck!

So plans changed a little. The bike sold before I could get to it. But I did end up finding a better deal. Picked up a 2014 with 90hrs instead. I'm super excited about it. Haven't gotten it out on the trail yet but seems like it's gonna be great. The guy spent some money on good aftermarket parts. Only thing is it has an oversized tank and he didn't have an original. I may want the oversized some time but would prefer the original lighter tank for the tight single track I ride. So if anyone has an OEM for sale let me know. Also the suspension was reworked by Stillwell Performance, which is awesome, but the springs are too light for me. He was average size, I'm 6'4 265lbs. Does anybody who's had SP suspension know if I can just buy the spring recommended for my weight or is there more to it than that since the internals are different? I'm gonna call Stillwell in the morning and see what they say too.

Thanks