is 2009 kx450f a good bike to buy (with high hour)

I'm thinking about an 2009 kx450f ( around 1400$ ) and wanna to look at it this weekend. This monster has been USED LOTS and comes in unknown hrs. according to owner it need gasket replacement . it have rekluse clutch and bunch of air filter plastic and etc .

are kx450f as reliable as yz450f !? are these bike easy to change gasket and other maintenance !?  is it worth putting money and time on a kawasaki with this year model !?

2009kx450f.png

I would snag that bike up real quick. I bought a used '00 KX 250 for literally the same price (I'm jealous) with unknown hours and I haven't done any rebuilds on the engine. I had it little more than a year and probably put on about 50+ hours since I got it. I would do a thorough walk around and obviously test ride it. Those bikes usually go for $3000 plus here in Utah so I'd hop on that deal but be cautious.

Edit: as far as maintenance I haven't owned one so I wouldn't know from personal experience but Kawasaki in general is very reputable with their products. Depending on your riding style and whether you race or not, that'll determine the maintenance requirements. That's also a really clean looking bike so make sure the seller isn't trying to hide anything..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amd241997 said:

I would snag that bike up real quick. I bought a used '00 KX 250 for literally the same price (I'm jealous) with unknown hours and I haven't done any rebuilds on the engine. I had it little more than a year and probably put on about 50+ hours since I got it. I would do a thorough walk around and obviously test ride it. Those bikes usually go for $3000 plus here in Utah so I'd hop on that deal but be cautious.

Edit: as far as maintenance I haven't owned one so I wouldn't know from personal experience but Kawasaki in general is very reputable with their products. Depending on your riding style and whether you race or not, that'll determine the maintenance requirements. That's also a really clean looking bike so make sure the seller isn't trying to hide anything..

yes its a good price with Rekluse clutch , but i am really worried because i alwayes heard kawasaki had problems before 2012-2013 . i am not a high demandng user .. i will go offroad and to some trail and MX . i acually want it as a second bike .

yes its a good price with Rekluse clutch , but i am really worried because i alwayes heard kawasaki had problems before 2012-2013 . i am not a high demandng user .. i will go offroad and to some trail and MX . i acually want it as a second bike .

Like I've said, I have a 2000 KX 250. Known for being one of the worst years, but it out performs every other 250 I've ridden and like I said, hasn't had ANY issues. Just go for it. Even if it doesn't suit you you'd be able to sell it for double.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bernie Nottelling said:

grab that thing, replace piston , valves and timing chain and you'll have trouble free fun, much better than buying something with 150hrs and get told its 50 hours...

9 hours ago, Amd241997 said:

Like I've said, I have a 2000 KX 250. Known for being one of the worst years, but it out performs every other 250 I've ridden and like I said, hasn't had ANY issues. Just go for it. Even if it doesn't suit you you'd be able to sell it for double.

8 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I've had some Kawasaki. The list includes:

KLR250

KLR650 (2 different ones)

KDX200

KDX220

KLX300

KX250 (99 03 04 06)

KX250F (16) 

Never had a problem with reliability. 

thanx for your comment , i will go and look at it . 

I'm thinking about an 2009 kx450f ( around 1400$ ) and wanna to look at it this weekend. This monster has been USED LOTS and comes in unknown hrs. according to owner it need gasket replacement . it have rekluse clutch and bunch of air filter plastic and etc .
are kx450f as reliable as yz450f !? are these bike easy to change gasket and other maintenance !?  is it worth putting money and time on a kawasaki with this year model !?
2009kx450f.png.5cc3f1c20ef90746ecc457b26ffd35ed.png

I have a 06 and the bike has been very dependable. I put somewhere around 1200hrs on the bottom end and 600 hrs on each of the two pistons I switched out. Last spring I opened her up and rebuilt everything for piece of mind. Everything was still in perfect condition no play in anything. I probably could have got another 5-600 hours out of the bottom end. But I replaced it all since I was already that far.
But that said a bike is only as good as the last person maintenance habits. And all used bikes are a gamble. I would at least tip the bike on it's side and look at the oil filter and see if there is any metal debris in it. And for your piece of mind if you buy it at least check the valves and a new piston and rings.

Sent from my XT1585 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

I have a 06 and the bike has been very dependable. I put somewhere around 1200hrs on the bottom end and 600 hrs on each of the two pistons I switched out. Last spring I opened her up and rebuilt everything for piece of mind. Everything was still in perfect condition no play in anything. I probably could have got another 5-600 hours out of the bottom end. But I replaced it all since I was already that far.
But that said a bike is only as good as the last person maintenance habits. And all used bikes are a gamble. I would at least tip the bike on it's side and look at the oil filter and see if there is any metal debris in it. And for your piece of mind if you buy it at least check the valves and a new piston and rings.

Wooow ... it look kawasaki is somehoe bulletproof , i heard 2006 was the worse year , but as you have experience it look like they are reliable . Do you ise it for trail or MX or .. !?

Wooow ... it look kawasaki is somehoe bulletproof , i heard 2006 was the worse year , but as you have experience it look like they are reliable . Do you ise it for trail or MX or .. !?

I use it all for trail. I don't think riding mx it would last long. But regardless she has been a pretty good bike. Little tweeks here and there and she is awesome for what I do. I will keep it until it can no longer stay with the new bikes. But i have yet to experience that.

23 minutes ago, kx450f06 said:

I use it all for trail. I don't think riding mx it would last long. But regardless she has been a pretty good bike. Little tweeks here and there and she is awesome for what I do. I will keep it until it can no longer stay with the new bikes. But i have yet to experience that.

tanx and good luck , its nice that these bikes can run forever on trail :D 

The 09 is unique of all the KX 450s because it has soft low RPM power then a mid RPM hit. So you need to shift gears more often. On an MX track at least. For trails that might be what you like.
You would budget for a head service on that motor. Maybe not straight away. Just budget for it. Also servce the suspension. The 2008 to 2012 450s have the very good KYB SSS forks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kx450f06 said:

On 8/11/2017 at 4:23 AM, Bernie Nottelling said:

grab that thing, replace piston , valves and timing chain and you'll have trouble free fun, much better than buying something with 150hrs and get told its 50 hours...

On 8/10/2017 at 11:50 PM, Amd241997 said:

8 hours ago, numroe said:

The 09 is unique of all the KX 450s because it has soft low RPM power then a mid RPM hit. So you need to shift gears more often. On an MX track at least. For trails that might be what you like.
You would budget for a head service on that motor. Maybe not straight away. Just budget for it. Also servce the suspension. The 2008 to 2012 450s have the very good KYB SSS forks.

from what i heard from you guys i am getting more interested to check the bike :D , but your experience is completly different from 2 friend that i drive with them here :( .... they are completly against KAWA and trying to convice me to buy either honda or suzuki :D :)) . 

In the bush, a 450 Honda or Zook will feel more agile than a Kawi. 21mm triples would help the Kawi a lot for tight stuff. But for reliability the Jap brands are all much the same in the last 10 years.

Avoid Japanese 450 forks that are SFF or air sprung. That 09 Kawi has good suspension if it's been regularly serviced.

• Like 1