Moon Pass Rd

I'm interested in taking this from Wallace to Avery this Sunday on my dual sport.  Does anyone know of any closures or other issues that may effect the trip?  Does anyone want to join?

I'm still dealing with a lingering wrist injury, so not looking to do anything too extreme, but I do plan on doing some trail riding as well.  I have 130-150 mile range. 

• Like 1

Most of the single in the area would be considered to be expert/intermediate. There are some quad trails and the like that will get you off of the main road that is "Moon Pass". There were no closures as of two weeks ago and it has only been dust weather since then.

• Like 1

I just rode this area 2 weeks ago. The road was open to Avery. Very dry and dusty. Rode single track over to Avery, and gravel back to Wallace over Moon Pass.

i agree, the singletrack was intermediate to advanced.

• Like 1

The ride from Wallace to Avery over Moon Pass is long and dusty (because there's lots of traffic). The road is graded wide -- a truck pulling a toy hauler can easily navigate the route. If it were me, I would take the route over Slate Creek Saddle and along Slate Creek down to Hoyt, a few miles west of Avery. The Forest Service Ranger station is right there where you pop out at Hoyt. Go through the parking lot, across the narrow bridge and you're on the old (gravel) and less traveled road. Turn left and head to Avery. The road will take you in a few miles over a bridge to Avery. I've shown the route on this map link here: Slate Creek to Avery.

One thing you'll miss by taking the Slate Creek Route are riding through several old railroad tunnels and over trestles. I've made that up by adding a small side-trip on the way to Avery. The side-trip heads up Fishhook Creek. A little ways up the creek you'll be in a narrow canyon surrounded by rock cliffs. Eventually, you'll pass through a tunnel. At that point, turn around and head back down and up to Avery. A historical note: the dirt/gravel road to Avery is the original road to Avery. The highway on the other side of the river is built over the old Milwaukee Railroad right-of-way.

• Like 3

If you are still in the area around sept 1, interested in riding the nez pierce trail from the top of lolo pass to around orofino somewhere? There is suppose to be a rough auto route

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trackmaster said:

If you are still in the area around sept 1, interested in riding the nez pierce trail from the top of lolo pass to around orofino somewhere? There is suppose to be a rough auto route

Are you referring to the Lolo Motorway? It runs north of Hwy 12. That is basically a dirt road, like a forest service road, that runs along a ridge kind of parallel to US 12. Been on that twice. It would be rough in a car or truck, but cake on an adventure bike. Stop in Lochsa Lodge for gas and lunch, or breakfast if you are heading west...

Lochsa lodge, I think that's the Powell ranger station? I rode my bIcycle from astoria to pueblo, via hyw 12 in idaho. I think I read every lewis and clark sign I came across, and was reading about this auto trail. It did say it was very rough, but was thinking on a dual sport it could possibly be done in a day. I camped at the lodge and had dinner, awesome place, just like the lochas river.

Aren't you a previous winner of the Ironman at Goldendale? Yeah, you could be done with the Lolo motorway in a day, or half day depending on how relaxed you went. It is worth doing, and there are side trips in there as well. 

We did that going one direction, and hit the Magruder corridor coming back the other way. Picked it up south of Hamilton

15 hours ago, tomasinator said:

The ride from Wallace to Avery over Moon Pass is long and dusty (because there's lots of traffic). The road is graded wide -- a truck pulling a toy hauler can easily navigate the route. If it were me, I would take the route over Slate Creek Saddle and along Slate Creek down to Hoyt, a few miles west of Avery. The Forest Service Ranger station is right there where you pop out at Hoyt. Go through the parking lot, across the narrow bridge and you're on the old (gravel) and less traveled road. Turn left and head to Avery. The road will take you in a few miles over a bridge to Avery. I've shown the route on this map link here: Slate Creek to Avery.

One thing you'll miss by taking the Slate Creek Route are riding through several old railroad tunnels and over trestles. I've made that up by adding a small side-trip on the way to Avery. The side-trip heads up Fishhook Creek. A little ways up the creek you'll be in a narrow canyon surrounded by rock cliffs. Eventually, you'll pass through a tunnel. At that point, turn around and head back down and up to Avery. A historical note: the dirt/gravel road to Avery is the original road to Avery. The highway on the other side of the river is built over the old Milwaukee Railroad right-of-way.

This is great info.....thank you!  I'm not picky about how I get there, so the less dust and traffic the better.I really appreciate you taking the time and effort and I'll let you know how it goes after Sunday.

I would love to see the side trip down Fishhook, but the FS has closed it due to fire danger....FYI

~FISHHOOK ROAD CLOSURE~

THE IDAHO PANHANDLE NATIONAL FOREST WILL BE ISSUING A TEMPORARY ROAD CLOSURE ON FOREST SERVICE ROAD #301, FISHHOOK CREEK, IN SHOSHONE COUNTY ON THE ST. JOE RANGER DISTRICT DUE TO FIRE ACTIVITY FROM THE ROUNDHOUSE FIRE. ROCKS, TREES, AND OTHER
DEBRIS FROM THE FIRE AREA ARE FALLING INTO THE ROADWAY AND POSE A THREAT TO PUBLIC SAFETY.
THE ROAD IS BARRICADED FROM THE TERMINUS AT THE ST. JOE RIVER, SOUTH APPROXIMATELY FIVE MILES TO THE JUNCTION FOREST ROAD #301 WITH FOREST ROAD # 753 (LICK CREEK). THE CLOSURE WILL BEGIN
IMMEDIATELY AND IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE UNTIL THE FIRE SITUATION ALLOWS SAFE PASSAGE.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT THE ST. JOE RANGER DISTRICT, AVERY OFFICE (208) 245-6200, OR ST. MARIES OFFICE (208) 245-6000.

-JOHN WEBB-

14 hours ago, trackmaster said:

I moved, so I will be here for sure, but mom is flying in Aug 31 for a visit.  Is that Sep 1st date negotiable?

It's very negotiable pc! I believe it could be a blast! Last month my girlfriend and I camped at 2 spots along the lochsa river, crossed some of those walking bridges and did a few day hikes. Then we drove to libby montana, and hiked in the cabinet mountains up to a high mt lake called leigh lake. It was then that I learned there are grizz in the cabinets. I hate bears, and although I never met 1, I think they hate me too

Aren't you a previous winner of the Ironman at Goldendale? Yeah, you could be done with the Lolo motorway in a day, or half day depending on how relaxed you went. It is worth doing, and there are side trips in there as well. 
We did that going one direction, and hit the Magruder corridor coming back the other way. Picked it up south of Hamilton

I won in 2004 and 2009. Been trying the last couple years to podium again, but keep having problems.

When I was riding my bike through a little town called rand colorado, I was hungary and went into the only place open in rand looking for food. They had a book for sale called undaunted courage about lewis and clark journey. So I had them mail it home for me. I think it was on there journey home that the nez pierce led them over this path. On there way west, sounds like they really struggled without the Indian guides.

• Like 1

Let's do it.  Name the date and time (except Sep 1) and I'll be there.  I'll bring bells and pepper spray, so the grizzles and can find and season us easier!

1 hour ago, trackmaster said:

When I was riding my bike through a little town called rand colorado, I was hungary and went into the only place open in rand looking for food. They had a book for sale called undaunted courage about lewis and clark journey. So I had them mail it home for me. I think it was on there journey home that the nez pierce led them over this path. On there way west, sounds like they really struggled without the Indian guides.

Incredibly good book eh?! I couldn't put it down, really did a great job of illustrating the journey and how incredibly lucky and gifted the expedition was. 

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

• Like 1

Let's do it.  Name the date and time (except Sep 1) and I'll be there.  I'll bring bells and pepper spray, so the grizzles and can find and season us easier!

There's no grizz in idaho???

On 8/10/2017 at 2:22 PM, Pincushion said:

I'm interested in taking this from Wallace to Avery this Sunday on my dual sport.  Does anyone know of any closures or other issues that may effect the trip?  Does anyone want to join?

I'm still dealing with a lingering wrist injury, so not looking to do anything too extreme, but I do plan on doing some trail riding as well.  I have 130-150 mile range. 

How wet did you get?

11 hours ago, ITLKSEZ said:

How wet did you get?

Plenty!  Had a damn good time doing it too.

Recap - Parked at cranky, followed Placer Crk til I got bored then rode 189 → 501 → 196 to the Milwaukee road and into Avery.  Met a couple riders at Scheffy's who offered me to join them (Thanks again if you see this!!!!).  We rode up Dunn Peak to 30 → 304 → 160 → 164 → 39 back to the trail head.  Lots of fun was had and I ate a lot of huckleberries up there.  Can't wait to do it again.

5 minutes ago, Pincushion said:

Parked at cranky...

Wife and I were the black Volvo. We got back and had to dump the water out of our boots.

Glad to hear you had a good time!