15-44 sprocket change

Hi guy's,

New member here from Australia. Just purchased a 2017 DRZ400E and just needing a little advice. Most of my riding will be 80 road / 20 off road. I have bought a set of 17' supermoto wheels with a sprocket configuration of 44 - 15. The stock is 47 - 14.

Just wanting to know if the stock chain will be too long for the 44 - 15 set up or do I need a second chain?

Cheers,

Yes, you should be good but you'll likely be at the very far end of your adjustment. If it's a new chain is might continue to stretch and become too loose to adjust any further.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

OK, Thanks for the feedback. I have installed the 17" wheels and can confirm that the stock chain is fine with the 15-44 sprocket configuration and in fact there is still plenty of adjustment left setting the chain slack at around 40mm.

The new set up for the street is much better without the knobbys and 14-47 sprockets. 

The wheel change over was a bit of a PITA as the front wheel was not centered and needed a 3mm washer to correct. The caliper then needed to be moved over a little to compensate.

All in all, very happy and will post a few picks shortly.

7 minutes ago, Ilia . said:

The wheel change over was a bit of a PITA as the front wheel was not centered and needed a 3mm washer to correct. The caliper then needed to be moved over a little to compensate.

Why didn't you just adjust the dish of the wheel? You likely now have forks that aren't aligned.

Unfortunately, the spacer provided on the speedo side didn't come with a seal that fitted so i just refitted the speedo spacer. With the 3mm washer installed to the caliper side, that seemed to even things up. It rides fine and nothing is binding up. May look at the spacer issue down the line..

There should be no need for the washer. The tire does not have to be perfectly centered. As long as its not rubbing anything if fine if its off 3mm. If you must have the tire centered, the proper way is to move the rim relative to the hub by loosing the spokes on the side of the hub with the short gap and tightening the spokes on the side with the larger gap. What you did is force the fork legs open and likely created a situation where the forks are no longer parallel. It may not be an issue, or it may cause premature wear on the bushings and seals.

Unfortunately, the spacer provided on the speedo side didn't come with a seal that fitted so i just refitted the speedo spacer. With the 3mm washer installed to the caliper side, that seemed to even things up. It rides fine and nothing is binding up. May look at the spacer issue down the line..

Where did you get the wheels? What brand and size?

7 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

There should be no need for the washer. The tire does not have to be perfectly centered. As long as its not rubbing anything if fine if its off 3mm. If you must have the tire centered, the proper way is to move the rim relative to the hub by loosing the spokes on the side of the hub with the short gap and tightening the spokes on the side with the larger gap. What you did is force the fork legs open and likely created a situation where the forks are no longer parallel. It may not be an issue, or it may cause premature wear on the bushings and seals.

Thanks for the feedback. Now you have got me thinking. With the 2 spacers supplied, the wheel was centered between the forks. When fitting the OEM speedo spacer the wheel was offset by 3 mm, so I assumed that by adding the washer that it should be OK. I will do some more investigation and check the distance between the forks at the axle and further up to see if the forks are indeed pushed out.

Thanks again.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:54 AM, ptgarcia said:

Dude, You are correct. I finally got around to removing the front wheel and measured the spacers from both dirt bike and super moto wheels. Adding the 3mm washer did push the forks out by a 2-3mm. Removed the washer and it measured 150mm which is the same as the dirt bike wheel spacing.

Refitted the wheel and loosened the spokes and moved the rim to the center.

Thanks for the heads up.

19 hours ago, LeeHoudini said:

if the chain stretches you can always remove a link

I wouldn't recommend that. You just end up with a shorter worn-out chain.

Sounds like you have your question sorted but for what its worth, i run all of these combos on one chain. 15-44 for the road 15-44 for fire trails 15-47 for tighter stuff and 14-48 for motard track. Good fun on the 17's

• Like 1