2011 CRF450R Hare Scramble Setup

I just did my first hare scramble on my 2011 CRF450R this past weekend and had a lot of fun! I'd like to try and invest a little more into getting my bike setup better. So I have a few questions:

1 - Ecu remap - I'd like to get my ECU remapped for woods/gncc type riding. I did have issues stalling during the race. I understand increasing the idle can help with that. Will ECU Remapping help also? Who is recommended for Remapping? Does JCR SpeedShop do ecu remapping?

2 - Brakes - I read a bike test on one of the JCR Honda bikes. Looks like they use Galfer sintered brake pads. Has anyone used those? How is the galfer rear rotor and the Galfer SKW 270mm front rotor? Also, I had a lot of squeeling when using my front brake during the race. What causes that?

3 - Starting in gear? Is anyone able to start in gear with this bike?

4 - Exhaust - Power is good, although I'd like to make it both broader and smoother. (Smoother in the sense of not making my get tired quick). I read mxa that the FMF system tends to ride the torque curve more, this being more tractable. Any suggestions on exhaust or slip-on? I wouldn't be opposed to sacrificing a little bit of bottom to take the low end a little and stretch the power band. I've mainly just been looking at FMF, Yoshi, and Pro Circuit. I will probably wait a little bit before getting something. 

5 - Gearing - I am running 13/50. Is that pretty good gearing for hare scrambles?

6 - Suspension - the bike was revalved for the previous owner who weighed about what I weigh, and similar rider skill. It feels good for the most part, but I think it could be a little better through Sag adjustment and clicker changes. What sag do you all recommend for hare scramble riding? 

I may have other questions soon. 

Thanks!!

I don't have a 2011 but..

1. Can't help ya

2.i believe the squeal is usually to do with the brake pad compound, can't remember which squeals more though

3. I can never start in gear just won't do it. Seems like a lot of the modern 450s can't

4.for exhaust I'd look for something with a spark arrestor. I run a fmf q4 on my 05 and love it. Surprisingly quiet for a 450 and legal for basically any off-road race.

5. That is up to your preference. I run 12/48 which is same as 13/52. But my bike is older so Im not sure if tranny gearing is the same

On 8/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, MXandSXracer21 said:

I just did my first hare scramble on my 2011 CRF450R this past weekend and had a lot of fun! I'd like to try and invest a little more into getting my bike setup better. So I have a few questions:

1 - Ecu remap - I'd like to get my ECU remapped for woods/gncc type riding. I did have issues stalling during the race. I understand increasing the idle can help with that. Will ECU Remapping help also? Who is recommended for Remapping? Does JCR SpeedShop do ecu remapping?

2 - Brakes - I read a bike test on one of the JCR Honda bikes. Looks like they use Galfer sintered brake pads. Has anyone used those? How is the galfer rear rotor and the Galfer SKW 270mm front rotor? Also, I had a lot of squeeling when using my front brake during the race. What causes that?

3 - Starting in gear? Is anyone able to start in gear with this bike?

4 - Exhaust - Power is good, although I'd like to make it both broader and smoother. (Smoother in the sense of not making my get tired quick). I read mxa that the FMF system tends to ride the torque curve more, this being more tractable. Any suggestions on exhaust or slip-on? I wouldn't be opposed to sacrificing a little bit of bottom to take the low end a little and stretch the power band. I've mainly just been looking at FMF, Yoshi, and Pro Circuit. I will probably wait a little bit before getting something. 

5 - Gearing - I am running 13/50. Is that pretty good gearing for hare scrambles?

6 - Suspension - the bike was revalved for the previous owner who weighed about what I weigh, and similar rider skill. It feels good for the most part, but I think it could be a little better through Sag adjustment and clicker changes. What sag do you all recommend for hare scramble riding? 

I may have other questions soon. 

Thanks!!

Start your sag about 105, can be as much as 108, but knowing what you're trying to cure in the handling is key to how you set it up. Is it tucking the front? Pushing?

A lot of your questions are really personal preference. What works for one guy doesn't work for others. The stalling circumstances need more info. One thing you can try is closing the gap on the spark plug. Close it up to .028 and that may help that a little.

If you're slipping the clutch a lot, you may want to drop your gearing down by adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket. If youve got deep pockets, guys love that Rekluse clutch.