Hey Thumpers,

I took the Carby off to replace the AP diaphragm and the Main Jet....Reassembled the Carby to the engine , attempted to kick the bike but the lever is stuck in the upright position and won't kick downwards.

I took the right side case off on the Clutch side and noticed two teeth missing from the Primary gear and a couple from the Idler gear. Needless to say i found two of the teeth belonging to the Primary gear, proceeded to take the left casing off on the Stator side and noticed some metal particles pasted on the Pickup magnet.

I cleaned that off , found no foreign objects on the Stator side, reconnected the kickstart lever on the lever shaft just to see if it freed up, by my surprise i was able to kick and turn over the engine like it should....BTW the spark plug was removed before to ease the compression.

After all of that i felt a bit relieved and placed the left and right side casings back on . Refitted the Gas tank, kicked her and she started right up. Took her around the gap and CLAX! that bike cuts out and the kick start lever is stuck again. I was able to put the bike in neutral and walked her home , i can shift all through the gears like normal.

Click the link below to view the video.

Stuck Kick Lever

Hope you guys can shed some light on where to look.

You've got missing teeth on some gears, those gears and the cause of the problem needed to be fixed before the bike was run again.  My guess is either a gear has failed further, causing a jam, or metal parts have become jammed in some gears somewhere.  Time to take it apart.  

Alright , i'm about to go ahead and take off the casings again and see whats up.

Sooooooooooo........ I took of the Stator cover and saw the bottom of one of my Intake Valve Adjustment Screws chilling under the flywheel, took the head cover off and found a snapped cam chain....F$$$!.

Tried taking the chain from the top and it wont budge, that's when i realized the other half is stuck between the Flywheel and the engine. So i'm currently waiting to source a flywheel removal tool in order to remove the flywheel.

Looks like I'm needing a set of Adjustment Screws and a Cam Chain.

Valves look in good condition, still seated nicely in their seats.

My question is what could have caused this??

Must admit those adjustment screws were second hand and given by a friend to me because my last ones broke too, ironically on the same intake side.

Could it be i made the clearances too tight/loose ??

Anyway a set of brand new screws should be here today or tomorrow.

What do you guys think caused this issue? 

There is no way for us to tell without at least a bunch of pictures.  My advice is take that whole motor apart, split the cases and all, and make sure everything is in good shape before you put it back together. 

Sirthumpalot,

Thanks for responding , I pulled down and figured what the cause of all this madness. 

Seems like my intake rocker arm roller bearing was really bad , the rollers fell out and were found stuck to the magnetic pickup by the flywheel. 

Luckily nothing was damaged except for the rivet link for the timing chain and the broken intake adjustment screw. 

I ordered a brand new bearing and set of screws as well as a rivet link. 

Valves were still seated perfectly in their seats. 

Ill take the time to clean them up and change all necessary gaskets. 

I also found one of the propellers for the water pump fan was missing but I reckon that was done with the previous owner, so I'll go ahead and order a new water pump wheel. 

3 hours ago, Priddee said:

Sirthumpalot,

Thanks for responding , I pulled down and figured what the cause of all this madness. 

Seems like my intake rocker arm roller bearing was really bad , the rollers fell out and were found stuck to the magnetic pickup by the flywheel. 

Luckily nothing was damaged except for the rivet link for the timing chain and the broken intake adjustment screw. 

I ordered a brand new bearing and set of screws as well as a rivet link. 

Valves were still seated perfectly in their seats. 

Ill take the time to clean them up and change all necessary gaskets. 

I also found one of the propellers for the water pump fan was missing but I reckon that was done with the previous owner, so I'll go ahead and order a new water pump wheel. 

Have you found all the roller elements?  I don't think you want one of those floating around your engine.