Any idea on horsepower gains? Stroker, bbk, fcr41

More out of just curiosity sake, I was wondering about what power this combo makes. This is my current combo 

I just put on an fcr41 last night and the difference is well, night and day. The jetted stock carb had lousy throttle response. I don't have access to a dyno tune, so it's all seat of the pants and ear.

I'm pretty sure I'm running stock cams, which adds another question, which ones should get? Not looking for max power, actually looking for clean power with same fuel mileage on the highway.

I've searched but haven't seen this combo with stock cams.

Edited by Savage422

Horsepower increases while keeping the same mileage?  Kind of tricky but in general:

1. Increase compression ratio while keeping fuel flow approximately the same (decrease combustion chamber volume either by shaving the head or different profile piston)  If you change to a more aggressive camshafts (lift/duration), you are going to burn more fuel at the same rpm. 

2. You can offset fuel burn increases that correlate to hp improvements to a degree with a larger front or smaller rear sprocket (or both).   Sacrifice low end torque, but you'll be traveling faster at the same RPM than before. 

Other than that, pretty hard to increase the hp's without losing mpg's. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WesternMDMtnMan said:

Horsepower increases while keeping the same mileage?  Kind of tricky but in general:

1. Increase compression ratio while keeping fuel flow approximately the same (decrease combustion chamber volume either by shaving the head or different profile piston)  If you change to a more aggressive camshafts (lift/duration), you are going to burn more fuel at the same rpm. 

2. You can offset fuel burn increases that correlate to hp improvements to a degree with a larger front or smaller rear sprocket (or both).   Sacrifice low end torque, but you'll be traveling faster at the same RPM than before. 

Other than that, pretty hard to increase the hp's without losing mpg's. 

I'm already running a 15/38 and I'll be switching to a 16 front this week. The most offroading I'll be doing is an occasional fire road.  This bike is my commuter mostly, but I like to take it to the canyons a few times a week. 

It seems to be running out of breath around 7 or 8k. I've read a ton of the different can options and I don't mind experimenting,  but I'd rather use your guys experience. 

You"ll need Mega cycle or Web cams for a 462 if you don't want flat top end power. I believe Mega cycle can weld and cut your stock cams to use the auto decomp. Webs don't offer that but have a wider range and offer custom cams. It will still turn over just fine with a good battery.

Google cams for a Z400. You'll find way more cam information. The quad guys aren't stuck in the Hotcams or RHC187 paradigm.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

Call Web Cams , talk to them and see what profiles they'd recommend , sometime a big profile but shorter duration can gain power but still be "economical". There is also playing with degree the cams to change the lobe separation angle and such, that'll effect mpg , but for the most part gaining hp will decrease mileage but with the right setup it can be minimal . You will have to choose topend or lowend performance generally though .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 2