Hi there. So i'm deciding if i should get the TTR-230. I've done a lot of research but I am unable to test the actual thing, and I needed to know if I will be too big or too small on it. I'm 6'2 and weigh 170 pounds. Im 16 years old. My parents dont want me to get too big of a bike and im a bit scared too. So i want to know will i be able to lift it, get on it comfortable, and keep my balance. Thank you. 

24 minutes ago, Farmboi said:

Hi there. So i'm deciding if i should get the TTR-230. I've done a lot of research but I am unable to test the actual thing, and I needed to know if I will be too big or too small on it. I'm 6'2 and weigh 170 pounds. Im 16 years old. My parents dont want me to get too big of a bike and im a bit scared too. So i want to know will i be able to lift it, get on it comfortable, and keep my balance. Thank you. 

What is your inseam length? If you have long enough legs something like a CRF 250X might be better as it is quite a bit lighter.

The TTR would be a good first bike for you, but you'll get bigger before you get smaller and would probably out grow it before long. Do you have a younger/smaller relative to pass it down to? If not you might look for a good used XR250.

13 hours ago, motovita said:

The TTR would be a good first bike for you, but you'll get bigger before you get smaller and would probably out grow it before long. Do you have a younger/smaller relative to pass it down to? If not you might look for a good used XR250.

Yeah, i have a smaller brother so he will get it once i outgrow it. But I'm pretty sure i wont outgrow it as I'm not growing as fast as i used to, but we will see. 

13 hours ago, Dwrizzol said:

What is your inseam length? If you have long enough legs something like a CRF 250X might be better as it is quite a bit lighter.

If i measured correctly its 29inches. 

Personally I think the TTR 230 is a great starter bike and yes I have owned one.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dwrizzol said:

How much experience do you have? What have you rode before?

I've been riding quads for about 3 years now, and my friend has a ttr 110, but just got the yz250, and i usually ride with him.

1 hour ago, Farmboi said:

Yeah, i have a smaller brother so he will get it once i outgrow it. But I'm pretty sure i wont outgrow it as I'm not growing as fast as i used to, but we will see. 

By growth, I mean develop as a rider, as much as physical growth. If you're a typical teenager you may not get much taller, but you'll put on a few pounds and get stronger.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, motovita said:

By growth, I mean develop as a rider, as much as physical growth. If you're a typical teenager you may not get much taller, but you'll put on a few pounds and get stronger.

Ahh, ok. Yeah I might gain a few pounds or get stronger but honestly i don't think it will be an enormous transformation 

2 hours ago, Farmboi said:

my friend has a ttr 110, but just got the yz250, and i usually ride with him.

A YZ250 2-stroke motocross race bike ?

Depending on your trails and terrain (how slow/technical or open/fast it is) and each rider's ability,

either you on a TTr230 or him on a YZ250 might have a hard time keeping up with the other.

Edited by mlatour

2 hours ago, Farmboi said:

I've been riding quads for about 3 years now, and my friend has a ttr 110, but just got the yz250, and i usually ride with him.

Have you sat on his YZ?

1 hour ago, Dwrizzol said:

Have you sat on his YZ?

yeah but i only ride the ttr 

2 hours ago, mlatour said:

A YZ250 2-stroke motocross race bike ?

Depending on your trails and terrain (how slow/technical or open/fast it is) and each rider's ability,

either you on a TTr230 or him on a YZ250 might have a hard time keeping up with the other.

yeah no, we don't race together, we just sometimes see each other and just mess around. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dwrizzol said:

How does the YZ feel? Is it too tall?

Well it feels a bit too tall for me. But than again this wasa like 6 months ago, i did grow a bit

Edited by Farmboi

1 minute ago, Dwrizzol said:

You should probably go for the 230 then

ok thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by Farmboi

This is not good advice.

The OP is obviously a new rider and says in his post that he is "scared" of too big a bike, so you recommend a CRF250?

TTR 230, xr200, crf230, dr200, etc.

Any low maintenance trail bike will be fine. Key to picking up a bike is picking it up properly.
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with a TTR for a learner bike.  Just get a set of tall bar risers to make riding standing up easier.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XRalways said:

This is not good advice.

The OP is obviously a new rider and says in his post that he is "scared" of too big a bike, so you recommend a CRF250?

TTR 230, xr200, crf230, dr200, etc.

Any low maintenance trail bike will be fine. Key to picking up a bike is picking it up properly.

If you look a few posts back I said the TTR is probably better for him...