is going 30mph with protective gear still dangerous?

I've bought the fox titan body armor, along with using a friends helmet for now. Still doing searches on neck brace (budget will run very short) , boots, and lower armor.

I was hard to accept the truth that a helmet can only last 1 hard impact, and that you can come out with permanent damages. I don't mind too much about getting injured as long as it heals good as new, it's just those injuries that can leave you with something not working the same anymore.

The terrain I'll be riding in will be rough so I won't be able to go to fast, probably 15-20mph if were to guess. It takes quite a bit for me to get up to 45 and I'll probably wont get anywhere near there. The maximum is probably 30mph down a long hill.

 

How likely do people get permanent damage from these low speeds? I'd hate to learn the hard way. 

Ive seen people break bones at a stand still, shit happens. Regardless of protective clothing. If your new to the sport, practice the basics slowly and the speed will pick up eventually. Dont push too hard until your confident.

Just now, Scottwr12345 said:

Ive seen people break bones at a stand still, shit happens. Regardless of protective clothing. If your new to the sport, practice the basics slowly and the speed will pick up eventually. Dont push too hard until your confident.

That's exactly what I'm planning. I've been wanting to do dirt biking ever since I was a kid. For now I got a very cheap dirt bike, but it will all be worth it because I expect to crash that thing plenty of times. Max speed it can go is 45mph but takes a bit, I'm not sure if I'll ever get that fast unless I'm riding it on a long road or so.

If you're riding that scared, you might want to rethink the motorcycle thing. Crashing and getting hurt is a risk that is always there, and if you worry about it, you ride stiff and are more prone to crashing and getting hurt.

Run  as fast as you can into a tree. Now imagine doing it 4 to 6 times faster.

The best riders practice going to slow. Once they master it going slow, they increase speed while continuing with riding/driving perfectly. You do not have to hop on a bike or into a car and drive full speed. Only fools do that.

Since you have already gotten a bike, the equipment, and somewhere to ride you have already gotten past one of the most difficult parts of riding.

You have to keep the fear you have out of your mind and just focus on and enjoy what you are doing. Learn to control the bike and ride in a way that you are comfortable with. Don't even concern yourself with what others may think about how you ride.

When it comes to the chances and probability of incidents much of that can be influenced by where you put yourself. As in how much risk is out of your control at the moment if that makes any sense. Just ease up and have fun with it. You say you always wanted a dirt bike, and now you have one.:ride:

Unless your 13 nothing will heal "good as new". And if you are 13, in 13 more years it will no longer be good as new lol. 

 

Also, if you are hitting your head hard enough to justify a new helmet regularly, you need to step back and reevaluate your riding strategy. 

 

I've bought the fox titan body armor, along with using a friends helmet for now. Still doing searches on neck brace (budget will run very short) , boots, and lower armor.
I was hard to accept the truth that a helmet can only last 1 hard impact, and that you can come out with permanent damages. I don't mind too much about getting injured as long as it heals good as new, it's just those injuries that can leave you with something not working the same anymore.
The terrain I'll be riding in will be rough so I won't be able to go to fast, probably 15-20mph if were to guess. It takes quite a bit for me to get up to 45 and I'll probably wont get anywhere near there. The maximum is probably 30mph down a long hill.
 
How likely do people get permanent damage from these low speeds? I'd hate to learn the hard way. 

Very likely, totally worth it, chicks dig scars. Now go &%$#@! shit up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Run  as fast as you can into a tree. Now imagine doing it 4 to 6 times faster.
The best riders practice going to slow. Once they master it going slow, they increase speed while continuing with riding/driving perfectly. You do not have to hop on a bike or into a car and drive full speed. Only fools do that.

I take this comment as a personal attack.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

You can get injured doing anything at any speeds... I've seen people walking roll their ankle and do serious damage to it while walking. Don't fret on the injuries. If you find yourself crashing a lot and getting hurt then maybe the sport is not for you. But you also want to learn from any fall. You learn how to roll, try to not get tangled with the bike, the weight of the machine can do damage at times. Also remember to NOT catch yourself but tuck n roll. I've seen people break arms and wrists trying to catch themselves while falling and just the momentum of the fall and your weight, something has to give. This is why you roll.

Falling in rocks, not much you can do but wear protective gear while riding and also focus on the ride line. Don't cheap out on the gear, yes it gets damaged and sometimes you have to replace it but easier to replace a helmet than your head. An stay away from those $89.00 helmets unless you think you have an $89.00 head. 

You've already got good advice from others, you learn from testing and pushing your abilities but at first don't ride too far over your head. Learn the bike, how all the controls work together, throttle control, clutch, brakes...

Happy motoring...

I don't want to get into the whole tuck and roll argument again, this has been beat to death here in other threads.  But, chances are great that tucking and rolling will not be an option, many or most dirt bike wrecks involve an instantaneous happening that happens so fast you don't even know what hit you.  More power to you if you can tuck and roll, but chances are you are going to land how you land.  I've had really bad high speed wrecks I've walked away from unscathed, and low speed ones that happened so fast I got hurt bad.  IMO tuck and roll is pretty much a myth on a dirt bike.  Different story on a street bike, though.

If I read your post right, you don't have boots yet. Make sure to protect your feet and ankles.  Practice riding on the balls of your feet rather than the arches. Get some hundred dollar boots. Brake and shifter will need to be adjusted and will feel weird at first, but it is worth the protection. See thread about young man hitting hidden stump.

If you are poor, don't worry about tossing a good helmet every crash. Look it over and flex it. If the shell is not cracked and foam is in good shape, it is way better than nothing.

When you get more money you can buy an $800 dollar helmet and toss it everytime it falls off your handle bars and drops 3ft.  Any snell or dot that fits is better than nothing.

 

Edited by wielywilly-g
11 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I don't want to get into the whole tuck and roll argument again, this has been beat to death here in other threads.  But, chances are great that tucking and rolling will not be an option, many or most dirt bike wrecks involve an instantaneous happening that happens so fast you don't even know what hit you.  More power to you if you can tuck and roll, but chances are you are going to land how you land.  I've had really bad high speed wrecks I've walked away from unscathed, and low speed ones that happened so fast I got hurt bad.  IMO tuck and roll is pretty much a myth on a dirt bike.  Different story on a street bike, though.

I'm not going to debate either since so many of us have different riding styles... I've never been hurt slow speeds other than racking my nuts. But I also have 35 years of sport bike experience and 48 years of off road riding/racing and rolling or sliding through a wreck has always paid off for me. Last thing you want to do is try to catch yourself or let limbs flail around. Although my worst accident was off road and was a highside that slapped me up in the air so fast and knocked me down I don't recall the landing. SO I'll agree that conditions dictate results and not always in your control... 

39 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:


I take this comment as a personal attack. emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

Sorry, I had no intention to call you a fool. :cry:

I meant to say you are special and your riding safe space should be padded.

4 minutes ago, William1 said:

Sorry, I had no intention to call you a fool. :cry:

I meant to say you are special and your riding safe space should be padded.

 

BjHnQacCAAAeL-L.jpg

33 minutes ago, Diamond-Dave said:

I'm not going to debate either since so many of us have different riding styles... I've never been hurt slow speeds other than racking my nuts. But I also have 35 years of sport bike experience and 48 years of off road riding/racing and rolling or sliding through a wreck has always paid off for me. Last thing you want to do is try to catch yourself or let limbs flail around. Although my worst accident was off road and was a highside that slapped me up in the air so fast and knocked me down I don't recall the landing. SO I'll agree that conditions dictate results and not always in your control... 

I HATE highsides!!!

Stuff happens.  A patch of wet clay in a corner, a limb going into your front spokes, a water puddle on the trail that is actually a deep rut, stalling on a hill, rocks, stumps, snakes...  Get comfortable riding first then enjoy the adventure.    

Edited by TR185
1 hour ago, TR185 said:

Stuff happens.  A patch of wet clay in a corner, a limb going into your front spokes, a water puddle on the trail that is actually a deep rut, stalling on a hill, rocks, stumps, snakes...  Get comfortable riding first then enjoy the adventure.    

My downfall on one of my worst injuries was a thin layer of sand on top of hard pack.  Small jump, landed, front tire went out so fast I was body slammed.

You can die from a crash at 2 mph, and you can get away scott free from a crash at 50 mph. Protective gear helps, but you WILL get hurt from riding. Might just be scrapes and bruises, might be broken bones, might me losing organs, but it will happen. All three of the above have happened to me from riding.

My worst favorite is riding along and not seeing a tree limb poking out at you like a pole vaulters stick. When it snags you it rotates and pushes whatever it hit with a nasty vengance sideways. That has bit me twice recently. Once on the front wheel, the other hitting my boot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now