Xr650r exhaust options/opinions

So I currently have a fmf power bomb header and I think t2 or t4 can. I had a brilliant idea of chopping 3" off the can to make it not stick out the back so much and while it looks great I kinda botched the chop. I forgot to leave the core longer so it meets the end cap and she puked her packing out on the way to work lol. I don't mind loud exhaust at all but it's a bit too much at 3am coming home from work. My options are to fix the current set up that will take hours, looking at xrs only slip on if it will fit the fmf header, or perhaps a full xrs only full race system. Part of me wants all options, full system will make better power, slip on is easy and fixing it will not admit defeat. Mind you it took over and hour, a bench vise, wood clamps and 2 people to get the damn cap back on the can lol. Cut can does look good though.

20170806_145409.jpg

You can just weld on the right amount of core to make your setup keep its packing. Ya you gotta drill the rivets but you gotta replace the packing anyways. I don't think there is much to be gained over an aftermarket exhaust on the R except weight loss. A stock setup with HRC tip makes the same increase in HP. I'd fix what you have personally. Looks good!

Trim the outer sleeve the amount that the core is short , put it back together and you're done. Measure twice , cut once.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

Trim the outer sleeve the amount that the core is short , put it back together and you're done. Measure twice , cut once.

Yeah I'll prolly give this a shot first, I screwed it up the first go around because I just got off a 14hr shift, my throttle cable broke on the way home, I've been up for about 22 hours and drank prolly 10 beers before I started this project lol. Wasn't a good day, I'll have to pick up some packing because it's damn near empty right now. Still riding it, sounds good to me just a bit loud at 3am.