I can hardly contain myself guys. I am less than one week away from picking up my new WR250F in Yellow.

I would say I am coming from KTM, but I have to admit I still plan on owning at least one KTM for the indefinite future.

I fly to Perth from Darwin town (Northern Territory, Australia) on Monday next week to ride with family and friends South of Perth Western Australia (also KTM and Yamaha guys - ^%&*%^* yeah). I have organised to buy a WR250F from a dealer in Perth. 5 Star Yamaha in Hamilton Hill Perth, who provided excellent service from a year ago when I tyre kicked in their shop just out of interest to look at a Yammy, they prepped the bike and got it road legal, called me back and helped organise me a test ride when I even said I didnt have the money at the time, they didnt tell me to piss off as I expected.

If there's any Perth guys out there that think the service sucks in Perth (I'm not saying it does, but I am not local either), you aint seen nothing yet compared top the NT Ex-Yamaha dealer who I wont name. My experience with these guys is a far cry from the Ex-Yamaha/ (currently) KTM dealer up here in D-town who told me "dont sit on the bikes" when I bought my KTM, even though I had 10K in my pocket. 

Anyway, I am keen to get a hold of my new Yamaha and start wearing it out like I did the much abused 200EXC.

Cheers.

Mark

Edited by BushPig
Fixed 'typo', this time....
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Bricktop72 said:

You are going to absolutely love that bike Pig. My FX keeps surprising me every time I ride it with just how good it is. I expect pictures when you get it!

Will certainly do Brick. I havent even seen it myself yet.

Like I said, I've ridden an FX and it is "that good". Hopefully the WR suits. Soft suspension works for me as most of my stuff is under 4th gear on my 200.

• Like 1

Having spent many years on a KTM 200, arguably one of the best motors and chassis of all time, you'll truly like many aspects of the WR. Just be patient and learn to adapt. Great bike!

• Like 2

On 11/08/2017 at 9:57 PM, Bricktop72 said:

You are going to absolutely love that bike Pig. My FX keeps surprising me every time I ride it with just how good it is. I expect pictures when you get it!

It's waiting for me. Organising bank cheque and will ride away.

20170815_154431.jpg

• Like 6

Sweet man! Loved my FX, and also loved my 11' WR I had before that. Be sure to post a review with your first impressions..

• Like 1

So what swayed you to buy a WR250F? I'm on the east coast of Australia and its plagued with orange and white/orange bikes. Yamaha's are far and few between, and even less of the 250F sized bikes. My 15 WR250F is the best bike I've owned in 20 years. Looking forward to upgrading the the 18 model.   

Edited by zorroz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MartyMOOSE said:

So where did you go South of Perth ?

Havent left yet. Load up the Hilux tomorrow and head to near Donnybrook. 

17 hours ago, William1 said:

So... have you looped it yet? ;)

I trust the two of you are bonding as I type... :)

Nope. It's fairly gutsy when I open it up bit extremely manageable compared to other bikes I have ridden. Haven't been on a ride yet, have only done some commuting around Fremantle. On bitumen. In the rain.

Have read manual and given a quick once over. Shop time and hopefully first real ride on actual dirt is tomorrow.

2 hours ago, zorroz said:

So what swayed you to buy a WR250F? I'm on the east coast of Australia and its plagued with orange and white/orange bikes. Yamaha's are far and few between, and even less of the 250F sized bikes. People here still think that the WR250F are a girls bike. Little do they know. And even better when a capable rider shows them what they can do. My 15 WR250F is the best bike I've owned in 20 years. Looking forward to upgrading the the 18 model.   

For something different I wanted a 4 stroke. I had two two stroke KTMs before,  i liked the equipment level for the money of the yamaha. Plus it looks sweet as in Yellow.

No, not my Audi.

0CB690B2-.thumb.jpg.f38521ca5da418578ff35133112f97b2.jpg

• Like 10

Today's ride proved the bike to me. I could not have asked for an easier bike to ride. I didn't even set sag, just checked all the spokes, double checked a few critical bolts, oil level and tire pressures and rode.

I rode with a guy who competed at the national level many years ago. The trails were his backyard and quite different to where I normally ride, its been raining a lot and things are 100x more slippery than I was used to. Dont hit a log or root anything but square-on unless you want a dirt nap quicker than you can blink.

It was a bit humbling, but the bike truly exceeded expectations and was super predictable all day.  I dropped it many times, and was grateful for the lowering link also.

Unfortunately I did some damage climbing a right hand switchback. I ran out of talent, the front wheel went skywards and the right side air intake tagged a tree, damaging the right shroud and radiator slightly (fixed since)

The grip and response is unreal. 

• Like 5

I couldn't agree more with your assessment. The front end feel and feedback is unlike any other bike I've ever been on. They are so stable even at ridiculous speeds it's easy to find yourself overshooting corners not realizing just how fast you are going. I've had good luck with the forks raised 4-5mm to improve cornering without sacrificing stability.  

• Like 1

Nice bike, but aren't the 250Fs a little slow for a big, fast guy like you? At least that's what they say to me. :) I need to remind them that I'm big and slow tho. :ride:

I bet it's a real good bike for trail riding. I want one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Nice bike, but aren't the 250Fs a little slow for a big, fast guy like you? At least that's what they say to me. :) I need to remind them that I'm big and slow tho. :ride:

I bet it's a real good bike for trail riding. I want one!

I'm 6'3" and 225 pounds and it moves me around just fine. I run out of talent long before I run out of power. 

• Like 2