1989 KX250

So I just got myself into my first project bike, as the title says it's an 89 KX250. The guy I bought it from says it ran a couple years ago before it sat. The kick starter gear seems like it's work to me because it will go right down with no resistance. Some of the spokes on the rear wheel need to be tightened as well. It will definitely get a good carb cleaning as well. I am new to working on bikes but I know 2 stroke motors pretty well from work (mostly experience with chainsaws). Is there anything else you guys would recommend me checking out or replacing right off the bat? Are parts best sourced off of eBay?IMG_20170809_205253.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 3

If has compression and crank bearings are tight then first thing is drain gas. Take tank off clean petcock and carb. Clean air filter tighten up then spokes and Let the good times roll :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Compression feels pretty good, pulled off the clutch side case half last night to address the kick starter issue....thought maybe the spring came out of one of the holes and I put it back together and it still doesn't work right. If I kick it hard like if I were to start it it will just go right down without engaging and if I go slow with it it will....any ideas? Also, there was no oil in with the clutch and what little was collected on the bottom was grey and smelled like burnt clutch....think I have enough of an engagement surface on these plates? IMG_20170812_191409.jpg

1 hour ago, Motox367 said:

I take it whoever did your railings was no carpenter lol :devil:

Hey watch it I did those rails!!!   Jk lol

Edited by Dane Richardson
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dane Richardson said:

Hey watch it I did those rails!!!   Jr lol

:facepalm: lol they do the job that's what matters bro :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dip meaning soak in carb cleaner? I found a full rebuild kit for it but I am pretty sure it's Chineese...not sure if will end up being crap or not...planning on gutting and cleaning everything that isn't rubber or plastic

That kit wont have the o ring he is referring to. If you are going to submerge it, you need to completely disassemble it to remove the o ring. The jet block typically has tamper resistant screws holding it on.

Here's a pic of everything that came in the kit....I know to be very careful removing old gaskests and seals and to only use carb cleaner on metal parts and never ever on rubber or plastic...IMG_20170912_212003.jpg