Ride/camp suggestions?

Heading to Denver on the 31st. , bringing woods bike and a trials bike..

thinking about Arapahoe. open to any all suggestions for Colorado ride camp areas.

all responses appreciated.

thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using ThumperTalk mobile app

Edited by feet up
incomplete

You don't say what type of riding you're looking for.  If you're interested in Jeep scenic roads with some rocks to play on, check out the Bunce Road area off of Hwy 72 between Lyons and Allenspark.  Trails are:  Bunce Road, IronClads, T33A Plane Crash, Middle St. Vrain, and Coney Flats.  You access most of the trails from Camp Dick.  There is paid camping there with restrooms, but its like a parking lot.  There is dispersed camping along the trails, particularly off of Middle St Vrain.

As JFjeld noted, that depends. 

What do you mean by "camping?" RV, tent? Primitive?

Got tags on your bike? 

I live on the fringes of the Arapaho NF/Boulder Ranger District and there are SOME motorcycling trails and roads here, but zero single track. Most of the stuff here is better suited to Jeeps and 4-wheelers than it is motorcycles. When I ride out of my house here, I immediately head south towards the Clear Creek Ranger District - Which has more of a variety than Boulder Ranger District and fewer 4-wheeled vehicles. 

One thing you should realize about Front Range riding is that  the closer you get to the population centers (Ft. Collins, Denver, Boulder, Castle Rock, CO Springs), the more crowded the trails and campgrounds will be. Generally speaking, anything that is less than 2 hours from Denver (or any of the cities listed)  makes it a day trip) is very crowded around the popular riding and camping sites ON THE WEEKENDS.  The good news: Because kids will be back in school around here, it may not be quite so bad in late August/early September. 

If you are willing to travel 2+ hours from Denver and ride during the week, the possibilities really open up. 

JMHO, of course.

Thanks for the good words.
I am open to what ever,
Camping primitive is cool.
I am planning on a week +\- anywhere colorado.
Sanity maintenance need to ride need some time in the woods.

I've got a couple of suggestions, then. 

My friend Mike organizes weekday rides in an area called Rampart Range. Excellent trails for intermediate to expert riders. Lotsa ATV-width switchbacks , sand, whoops, big rocks, little rocks -- it's got them all. I wouldn't go there on the weekend. Mike is a senior like me -- but rides at the expert level. I can no longer keep up with him. 

There are plenty of campsites in the Rampart group, but expect a lot of competition for the best spots on weekends. Weekdays, you can take your pick.

The other areas I like are 717/Divide, which is just a bit west of Rampart, but not nearly as crowded and/or Four Mile Travel Management Area. Both are large with plenty of varied terrain. Of the 2, I prefer Four Mile -- but its is 2.5 hours SW of Denver near Buena Vista, CO. It's 100k acres bisected by US 285. If you have plates on your bike, you can link the two halves with a short jaunt on county roads. 

Mike usually sets up his weekday rides on a "meetup" group like this: 

mrgem,

Thank You!!!!

Exactly the Info I had hoped for!

I will be heading to Rampart.

Senior riders  HA OLD guys!  One of the best compliments I have had was:

after about a dozen laps at an open practice navigating thru a bunch of kids trying to beat the world, I pulled into the pits to my van and the kids parked next to me where the ones doing everything they could to not let me pass......  threw my bike up on its stand and popped my helmet off and the boys next door exclaimed!

" wow your old "  after a good belly chuckle I said YA KID AND YOUR SLOW, we spent the rest of the day riding and the boys learned to never underestimate an "old guy"

You'll have a good time, guaranteed. 

One other thing...Make sure you have a Colorado OHV sticker on your bike. Because the area is so popular, I almost never ride Rampart without running into a ranger. They always check my sticker. Besides being a legal compliance issue, the 25 bucks goes into a pool administered by CO Parks and Wildlife for trail maintenance on public land in the state. It's money well spent, IMO.

You can pick up a sticker at most larger CO bike dealers or get it online. You can also stop in at the CO Parks/Wildlife office on Santa Fe drive -- not too far from the trailheads at Rampart.

Mrgem,

Again THANK YOU!

I have already secured my stickers and my bikes are tagged, I should be all set.

I will endure the madness of Sunday Monday holiday weekend to learn the area with plenty of people around and then stay the week without the madness and hope mike has a ride that I can latch onto.

I have rode all Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, New York and PA., N.C. has to offer a change of scenery and trails will be nice.

1 hour ago, feet up said:

I will endure the madness of Sunday Monday holiday weekend to learn the area with plenty of people around and then stay the week without the madness and hope mike has a ride that I can latch onto.

Very early or very late in the day rides will help reduce the madness... as well as sticking to the 770's single track trails.  And Mike usually has a ride every week ('usually')... good guy and good groups (also usually).  Bring enough fuel, piece together enough maps and park/camp in the right area(s) and you can connect Rampart, Rainbow Falls OHV, Westcreek area and the 717's (aka North Divide) trails and riding areas.  Plenty to keep you entertained for a week or more I would think.

Enjoy!!  (and don't litter!... lol)

The weather has been close to perfect here as well for the last several weeks as well...  

:ride:

• Like 1

im kind of unclear about whether you have flexibility on where you stay/ride.  Staying in Denver and riding from here isnt the best idea if you are just looking to explore all of what Colorado has to offer.  Rampart Range is fine, but not indicative whatsoever of the type of riding  you will see elsewhere.  Most Colorado riders are heading up to the higher riding areas to get away from Rampart and the crowds. 

If you have some flexibility, I would recommend staying/riding out of Gunnison, Salida, Buena Vista, Montrose or areas beyond the front range.  This would give you access to riding around Crested Butte, Taylor Park, Sargents South, Sargents North, Rainbow Trail, San Juans,etc.  But I wouldnt ride alone in these areas (cant tell if there will be others in your party).  Take a look at www.staythetrail.org and look in the trail maps section and browse the interactive map of trail systems.  Also look at the MVUM (motor vehicle use maps) for all the national forests in Colorado.

If you are visiting friends and vacationing in the Denver area, i get why you might base out of Denver, but if you have the option of staying/exploring anywhere in Colorado, I would choose differently.

• Like 2

Rampart meh..

Check it out:

http://rickramsey.net/TaylorPark.htm

Note: some links may be dead.

http://tomichicreektradingpost.com/

http://rickramsey.net/TomichiCrTradingPost.htm

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/710171-sargents-area-trails-any-recomendations/

Mentions:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-09.459217/

Which shows quite a nice collection of trail photos in central Colorado.

EDIT - add more info.

Crest Trail and Green Creek Trail info plus Shirley Site (camping area) info:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/monarch-crest-trail.1245517/

Continental Divide Trail and map info in post #52:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-17.1217992/page-3

and see pages 1 and 2 for more pics of central Colorado trails.

And not to forget, the Rainbow Trail south of Salida:

http://rickramsey.net/RB1.htm

Almost forgot, Fourmile area near Buena Vista:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fourmile-area-bv-co-current-conditions.1223170/

And don't forget, Cottonwood Pass is closed:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cottonwood-pass-status.1228979/

To get to Taylor park from the front range (Denver et al), you need to drive through Gunnison or Pitkin.

:ride:

Edited by ramz
Add more info
  • Like 3

Thank you all for the great info!

I am going to use all of your suggestions!

just found out my buddy I was supposed to meet up with and ride Baha is wiggling out, Orig. plan was to ride 3-5 days in Co. and then head west and ride Ca/Mexico.

Sooo plan B may be a 2-3 weeks riding Co. we will see.

a few clarifications for suggestions:

I am rolling alone, camping out of my van

( just realized I have come full circle, rolled all over the country with dirt bikes in a van in the 80's and here I am back in a van with dirt bikes  HA!)

probably bringing 3 bikes, kinda an open schedule gotta month to play with.

just looking to ride and chill and ride some more and chill a little more.

Thank You all!

first time I have used TT and already has proven worthy!

Like mentioned, anywhere around the metro areas is crowded.  You said anywhere in CO.  The SW part has a whole lot of riding, tons of st and ohv trails.  And is never crowded.

• Like 1

Well guy's,
I have made it acroos Kansas,
I forgot it takes forever.
Started out at Rampant range rode: 770A from flat rocks to end of 770H took 679A to 650 to 677 hooked back up on 770 and took it back to flat rocks.
Nice ride wish there waz more single track here.
I will ride it again tomorrow and load. To head north.
Still open for suggestions.
Thanks.