gaortiz

Preordered a MY18 Beta 500 RR-S

39 posts in this topic

Preordered my 2018 500-RR-S yesterday! Time to start buying parts! The bike should be at my dealer the first week of September!

So far my parts list is below. Feel free to suggest additions!

Cycra hand guards,

front disc guard,

rear disc guard,

slave cylinder guard

rad guards,

rad hoses,

3 gallon tank

Hyde skid plate

2000000002.jpg

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Luck-ee!  I would have loved to have the 2018 over the 2017 I have as I love my 2017.  

Pirelli Scorpion Pro F/R tires along with HD/UHD tubes.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
1 person likes this

Just now, Ben500RR-S said:

Luck-ee!  

Pirelli Scorpion Pro F/R tires along with HD/UHD tubes.  

😀 I'm going tubliss. Forgot to add that bit. Was thinking of getting the shinko 545s but I'll check out the pirellis!

I went with the Pirelli's as they are DOT and the most dirt worthy tire that is also DOT.  

I waited till I wore out the stock Michelin before I had changed out the rear.  I still have the front one on but it should wear out soon as I have just over 1,000 miles/50 hours on the bike/tires.  

Suggest Rear brake clevis:  really tightened up the rear brake.  And maybe a linkage guard?  Also, springs for your weight are pretty cheap and come pre installed with the OEM in a box.

Im sure you already know, they won't put the tubliss system on a street legal bike, I asked.

1 person likes this

Just now, Nailbender said:

Suggest Rear brake clevis:  really tightened up the rear brake.  And maybe a linkage guard?  Also, springs for your weight are pretty cheap and come pre installed with the OEM in a box.

Im sure you already know, they won't put the tubliss system on a street legal bike, I asked.

Thanks. The stock spring for my weight will be perfect. Yes, I know they won't put tubliss on. I'm going to try and figure that out after I ruin the stock tires 

What about a headpipe guard?  

My bike is like naked, even though I have to ride on some horrible trails.  

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

What about a headpipe guard?  

My bike is like naked, even though I have to ride on some horrible trails.  

I ride in a lot of rocks as well. If I ding up the head pipe I'll just buy an FMF and then get the head pipe guard 😁

20 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

I ride in a lot of rocks as well. If I ding up the head pipe I'll just buy an FMF and then get the head pipe guard 😁

Depending on how big the rocks are, get a linkage guard.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

I did ding my headpipe, but not all that bad, so a few weeks ago I bought a new OEM Beta headpipe, but no guard, so if I hit it again, which is probably not a matter if if, but when, I can put the new pipe on, it is only $170, then for $60+shipping, there is a place not too far from me in CT that can fix it and get it back to me.  

I do my best to avoid the trails that are all rocks.  I'd rather ride the same trail all day with no rocks than have to beat it through the trails that are all rocks or baby-heads as I have seen them referred-to.  

1 person likes this

gaortiz, what kind of riding will you be planning? By the sounds of all the protection you are headed to Erzberg;)

Tell us a little about your skills, your terrain or where you plan your first big adventure?

2 people like this

Buy a kick start kit. I've had to use a kicker multiple times when my big bore Beta battery died multiple times during a long  break in period and falling over and grounding the horn that blows the fuse. What happens when your battery dies? Just a tip from someone who's gone through it... but Beta came with a kicker in the past. Not now but at least you have the option compared to other brands. That's an awesome bike! If I were to buy a new bike what you're getting is what I'd buy. That's the best do everything with one bike choice.Congrats!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 8/11/2017 at 9:51 AM, Ben500RR-S said:

I did ding my headpipe, but not all that bad, so a few weeks ago I bought a new OEM Beta headpipe, but no guard, so if I hit it again, which is probably not a matter if if, but when, I can put the new pipe on, it is only $170, then for $60+shipping, there is a place not too far from me in CT that can fix it and get it back to me.  

I do my best to avoid the trails that are all rocks.  I'd rather ride the same trail all day with no rocks than have to beat it through the trails that are all rocks or baby-heads as I have seen them referred-to.  

There's a Beta carbon fiber header guard. I was hoping for flatland to make a beta header guard . That would be good. I'm naked on my 350rr for a while. I'm figuring on breaking down and getting the carbon fiber but I rather the flatland type. Maybe if enough of us ask He'll break down and start making some.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

7 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

gaortiz, what kind of riding will you be planning? By the sounds of all the protection you are headed to Erzberg;)

Tell us a little about your skills, your terrain or where you plan your first big adventure?

Lol, not quite Erzberg.

I would consider myself a B+ rider who likes to ride anything from wide open desert to tight technical single track. I'm in Southern California so I usually keep it to Big Bear, Jawbone, Mammoth, Cleveland National Forest. There are A LOT of rocks where I ride and sometimes big boulders so I figured I better invest in protection. To be honest I don't think I'll get a full exhaust unless I really ding it up. I also ride where a lot of sand is, at least in the desert, so I could probably benefit from a stabilizer but I don't feel like dropping $600 on just that. How good does the stock skid plate do in the rocks? 

13 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Buy a kick start kit. I've had to use a kicker multiple times when my big bore Beta battery died multiple times during a long  break in period and falling over and grounding the horn that blows the fuse. What happens when your battery dies? Just a tip from someone who's gone through it... but Beta came with a kicker in the past. Not now but at least you have the option compared to other brands. That's an awesome bike! If I were to buy a new bike what you're getting is what I'd buy. That's the best do everything with one bike choice.Congrats!!!!

Thanks Hawaii. I'm coming from a weak, horribly suspended 250L. I rang that poor bikes neck for too long and the suspension beat me up. As far as a kick starter goes I'll probably wait until I get into a situation where I need it (I'm stubborn). My battery died on my 250L and was able to bump start easily. I know the 500 will be harder to bump start but we shall see. I'm so excited to get it! Already got a buyer for my 250L so that's cool too!

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

Lol, not quite Erzberg.

I would consider myself a B+ rider who likes to ride anything from wide open desert to tight technical single track. I'm in Southern California so I usually keep it to Big Bear, Jawbone, Mammoth, Cleveland National Forest. There are A LOT of rocks where I ride and sometimes big boulders so I figured I better invest in protection. To be honest I don't think I'll get a full exhaust unless I really ding it up. I also ride where a lot of sand is, at least in the desert, so I could probably benefit from a stabilizer but I don't feel like dropping $600 on just that. How good does the stock skid plate do in the rocks? 

Stock skid plate is better than nothing. That being said I bought a ricochet plate . Strong with good coverage but I wish I bought a P-tech skid plate. Those are nice and strong looking.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, gaortiz said:

Thanks Hawaii. I'm coming from a weak, horribly suspended 250L. I rang that poor bikes neck for too long and the suspension beat me up. As far as a kick starter goes I'll probably wait until I get into a situation where I need it (I'm stubborn). My battery died on my 250L and was able to bump start easily. I know the 500 will be harder to bump start but we shall see. I'm so excited to get it! Already got a buyer for my 250L so that's cool too!

You won't be kick starting your 500 easy. Especially if the motor is new and tight. I couldn't.  My only choice was to kick. So expect that you won't be able to bump start. I mean good luck but no way was I able to. .. but if you don't want to That's up to you. Just letting you know before you get stuck in the desert.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You won't be kick starting your 500 easy. Especially if the motor is new and tight. I couldn't.  My only choice was to kick. So expect that you won't be able to bump start. I mean good luck but no way was I able to. .. but if you don't want to That's up to you. Just letting you know before you get stuck in the desert.

I always ride with other guys and they keep one of those portable battery tenders with them. I'm not too concerned but I'm sure if I happened to be riding by myself and I couldn't bump start I'd probably order the kick start the second I get home from being stranded lol

1 person likes this

I'd be looking at getting a battery starter pack with leads for your battery at the very least. I just wouldn't want that extra thing that I'd have to keep charged and keep in my pack though. A kicker is simpler and reliable and proven. But a charger is an alternative.

1 minute ago, gaortiz said:

I always ride with other guys and they keep one of those portable battery tenders with them. I'm not too concerned but I'm sure if I happened to be riding by myself and I couldn't bump start I'd probably order the kick start the second I get home from being stranded lol

That's good. Riding in a group is better. I've been dumb more lately going solo. Last time I fell hard on a simple hill and realized I'm taking a risk. I do tell friends where I'm riding though.

1 person likes this