Preordered a MY18 Beta 500 RR-S

1 minute ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

That's good. Riding in a group is better. I've been dumb more lately going solo. Last time I fell hard on a simple hill and realized I'm taking a risk. I do tell friends where I'm riding though.

Yup! I have friends track me via different GPS apps when I ride solo. And usually where I ride cell phone service isn't too far away.

I've got a 2017 Beta 500 rr-s, and it's hard not to ride.

GOPR0670.JPG.b7d372c9dc582768e171c9bf5a4897a9.JPG

Get a second air filter so you're always ready to rip. Change them out early and often. This way the efi stays in tip top shape, plus your valves will thank you.

Keep a few oil filters and oil on hand because they can be a pain to find in a pinch. I like running the stock motul stuff, and I also like using the paper filters.

New tires are a good idea too. But the stockers work and wear pretty good on the street, and they're not bad for the southern california desert races and off road stuff that I've done with them, At least when they had some meat on em'. There hasn't been one single instance that I thought "Aww mann, if only I had a different set of tires, that would be sweet." Instead just mess with air pressure, clicker settings and shred em down, maybe do a revalve if you feel the need. The stock suspension is very plush and I like it. 

The stock skid-plate kicks ass in the rocks. I've got lots of stick marks on mine from sliding over and around these kinds of stuffs.:devil: I like plastic skid-plates better than aluminum because its slicker and slides better. A linkage skidplate is a good idea, just because the bike is so capable it will have you trying stuff you wouldnt attempt on your old bike. My linkage and shock also has quite a few stick marks too. I want to try the obie one, more than the fastway one, but both are cool.

The billet rear brake clevis is a good idea, and it will improve rear brake feel, especially if you like popping wheelies. I gotta tell you though, the stock rear brake clevis is Junque...

I feel that there is a real need to get some steel oil pump gears in the crankcase because then the only worry with the engine is valve checks and oil changes maybe clutch plates too. The clutch is freaking great on my 2017, but I abuse the heck out of it.

At speed the bike is pretty stable and I really haven't felt the need for a steering stabilizer. I'm sure it would help, But I'm not trying to add any unnecessary weight.

heres a quick video to check out my bike in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBf5pvQsYI

The bike really doesnt need much, if anything.

Also dont be afraid to ride the bike, but it does need to be taken apart and greased, and anti-sieze treated.

 

34 minutes ago, surfer-dude said:

I've got a 2017 Beta 500 rr-s, and it's hard not to ride.

GOPR0670.JPG.b7d372c9dc582768e171c9bf5a4897a9.JPG

Get a second air filter so you're always ready to rip. Change them out early and often. This way the efi stays in tip top shape, plus your valves will thank you.

Keep a few oil filters and oil on hand because they can be a pain to find in a pinch. I like running the stock motul stuff, and I also like using the paper filters.

New tires are a good idea too. But the stockers work and wear pretty good on the street, and they're not bad for the southern california desert races and off road stuff that I've done with them, At least when they had some meat on em'. There hasn't been one single instance that I thought "Aww mann, if only I had a different set of tires, that would be sweet." Instead just mess with air pressure, clicker settings and shred em down, maybe do a revalve if you feel the need. The stock suspension is very plush and I like it. 

The stock skid-plate kicks ass in the rocks. I've got lots of stick marks on mine from sliding over and around these kinds of stuffs.:devil: I like plastic skid-plates better than aluminum because its slicker and slides better. A linkage skidplate is a good idea, just because the bike is so capable it will have you trying stuff you wouldnt attempt on your old bike. My linkage and shock also has quite a few stick marks too. I want to try the obie one, more than the fastway one, but both are cool.

The billet rear brake clevis is a good idea, and it will improve rear brake feel, especially if you like popping wheelies. I gotta tell you though, the stock rear brake clevis is Junque...

I feel that there is a real need to get some steel oil pump gears in the crankcase because then the only worry with the engine is valve checks and oil changes maybe clutch plates too. The clutch is freaking great on my 2017, but I abuse the heck out of it.

At speed the bike is pretty stable and I really haven't felt the need for a steering stabilizer. I'm sure it would help, But I'm not trying to add any unnecessary weight.

heres a quick video to check out my bike in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBf5pvQsYI

The bike really doesnt need much, if anything.

Also dont be afraid to ride the bike, but it does need to be taken apart and greased, and anti-sieze treated.

 

Thanks for the great suggestions! I just watched part of your 40 minute video. Puts my single track sketchy video the shame LOL. 

I'm from SoCal as well. We should definitely meet up and ride when I get mine! 

 

4 hours ago, gaortiz said:

Thanks for the great suggestions! I just watched part of your 40 minute video. Puts my single track sketchy video the shame LOL. 

I'm from SoCal as well. We should definitely meet up and ride when I get mine! 

sounds cool mann, I could use a good ride. Let me know when and where.

I watched some of your videos too. I'd like to ride some of those spots, they look like alot of funn, and thats all that matters.

 

On 8/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, surfer-dude said:

I've got a 2017 Beta 500 rr-s, and it's hard not to ride.

The billet rear brake clevis is a good idea, and it will improve rear brake feel, especially if you like popping wheelies. I gotta tell you though, the stock rear brake clevis is Junque...

Also dont be afraid to ride the bike, but it does need to be taken apart and greased, and anti-sieze treated.

 

I think the billet brake clevis will be my next upgrade. I agree, the stock one is way sloppy. I'd also suggest removing the brake lever tip and grinding the backside down at an angle. I replaced the hex bolts with button head so if the lever is hit it hopefully will not puncture the clutch cover.

I found my bike had a lot of grease in the bearings. But.... I'd suggest going over the wiring and inspect/zip-tie the more critical molex style connectors. If you ride in the wet a lot silicon electric grease is a good idea. Pay attention to the connectors up at the main panel behind the headlight mask, it's kinda a mess there and quite often they aren't solidly connected, especially the one for the speedo wire.

Keep me posted if you guys decide to hookup for a ride!

20170101_150702-1.jpg

Edited by danketchpel
On 8/12/2017 at 7:20 PM, surfer-dude said:

I've got a 2017 Beta 500 rr-s, and it's hard not to ride.

GOPR0670.JPG.b7d372c9dc582768e171c9bf5a4897a9.JPG

Get a second air filter so you're always ready to rip. Change them out early and often. This way the efi stays in tip top shape, plus your valves will thank you.

Keep a few oil filters and oil on hand because they can be a pain to find in a pinch. I like running the stock motul stuff, and I also like using the paper filters.

New tires are a good idea too. But the stockers work and wear pretty good on the street, and they're not bad for the southern california desert races and off road stuff that I've done with them, At least when they had some meat on em'. There hasn't been one single instance that I thought "Aww mann, if only I had a different set of tires, that would be sweet." Instead just mess with air pressure, clicker settings and shred em down, maybe do a revalve if you feel the need. The stock suspension is very plush and I like it. 

The stock skid-plate kicks ass in the rocks. I've got lots of stick marks on mine from sliding over and around these kinds of stuffs.:devil: I like plastic skid-plates better than aluminum because its slicker and slides better. A linkage skidplate is a good idea, just because the bike is so capable it will have you trying stuff you wouldnt attempt on your old bike. My linkage and shock also has quite a few stick marks too. I want to try the obie one, more than the fastway one, but both are cool.

The billet rear brake clevis is a good idea, and it will improve rear brake feel, especially if you like popping wheelies. I gotta tell you though, the stock rear brake clevis is Junque...

I feel that there is a real need to get some steel oil pump gears in the crankcase because then the only worry with the engine is valve checks and oil changes maybe clutch plates too. The clutch is freaking great on my 2017, but I abuse the heck out of it.

At speed the bike is pretty stable and I really haven't felt the need for a steering stabilizer. I'm sure it would help, But I'm not trying to add any unnecessary weight.

heres a quick video to check out my bike in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBf5pvQsYI

The bike really doesnt need much, if anything.

Also dont be afraid to ride the bike, but it does need to be taken apart and greased, and anti-sieze treated.

 

I thought I used my rear tire all the way, but you are about to show some cord there. What's next?

I have  2016 500 with 140hrs.   I had the usual problems.... Seat too hard, replaced with Seat Concepts with wide front to accommodate the 3.1 gallon Ims tank I have.   Kickstand tip way too small for the terrain here in Michigan. I put on the aluminum pad from Beta and now no more tip overs.  The stock mirrors stalk broke early on, so I replaced them with Doubletake mirrors and I like them much better.  After I used up the stock tires, I switched to the Goldentyre gt216 Hbn rear, love it.  Wears pretty fast if you street ride much, which I do. I go with the Goldentyre fatty GT216aa in the front, it improved handling in sand, a lot.  I balanced the tires for street using the weights in the pic. Bought them online, can't remember where, but they took almost all the shake out. Expensive though.  Front and back 60 bucks, if I remember.  Midwest Engineering short clutch lever works very nice. Reduced clutch pull.  Not sure how much exactly, but it was noticeable and worth the price.   The stock battery failed in the first six months and I have never once been able to kick start the bike. (That's with over 3000 miles on the engine)  Now I carry an Antigravity jumper pack in my saddlebag.  I had the problem with the fuel light staying on.  Covered it with tape, no more problem. The dealer sent out a new part to fix it, free though.  Replaced steel gears at 100 hrs and I always stayed with Motul oil.   (I use the Scotts stainless oil filter,  from Beta, when I built it)

The bike has been great.  Love it.  You will too.  

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

On 8/12/2017 at 6:39 PM, gaortiz said:

Yup! I have friends track me via different GPS apps when I ride solo. And usually where I ride cell phone service isn't too far away.

I have a boat and have a bigger, older PLB, then last spring, while looking for additional PLB's, I had come across 4 ACR RescueLink's for like $75 each, I bought all 4, sold one to a brother in law and kept the other 3.  One goes into my fanny pack for when the excrement might make contact with the oscillating blades.  

The last two times I have been out riding, I have been alone and stick to the big trails where there is less chance to crash and a walk out from a breakdown would be easier.  

13 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

I thought I used my rear tire all the way, but you are about to show some cord there. What's next?

1000 miles... It's just barely getting broken in. :D

When it heats up it works great riding the ditches and skateparks here around my hometown.:ride:

I'm not expecting to ride off road till next month so only city enduro for now; streets, alleys, paths, bridges, railways, stairs and such... probably wayyy too many places I'm not even supposed to be at. :devil:

CIMG2600.JPG.7fd068b34672e0e3fb1920e3dc693748.JPG

probably gonna do an irc evo and a fatty next month, and start weekend warrioring the dez with my familia when it's cool...

I might even keep her off the streets for a while???

I've been surfing and exercising alot lately, so She's just been chilling, waiting for her time with me... 

:cool:

my 2017 beta 500 rr-s has never had any kickstand issues with tipping over and Ive never dropped or crashed her, although I did scratch her up in a small avalanche that we rode out of, and also on some big boulders on a couple of gnarley trails, so I'm cool with the kickstand end. although I am careful with how I prop her up. I dropped my harley because of a junky aftermarket kickstand that folded itself under normal street use, so Ive learned to be careful with my bikes. Sometimes I might use a stick or rock to increase the footprint but it always works out in the end and I've had no worries. 

Heres another video just to keep things spiced up.

mellow ride but it was cool

 

I also ordered my 500 RR-S this week through BYOB. 8-16 to be exact.  Filled out my suspension form details and sent back today.  According to Beta USA, they should start the build on  9-16 and then 7-10 days to complete customization and ship.  So, I'm at least a two months from getting my bike.  At least it will be cooler in Texas in October. I wound up ordering the following.

Suspension Upgrade, Support Package
IMS Rally Tank, Natural
Seat Assembly by Seat Concepts
4-Stroke Pipe Guard
High Performance Water Pump Kit

Ready for the desert.

Edited by betagetdirt
spelling

 

 

I also ordered my 500 RR-S this week through BYOB. 8-16 to be exact.  Filled out my suspension form details and sent back today.  According to Beta USA, they should start the build on  9-16 and then 7-10 days to complete customization and ship.  So, I'm at least a two months from getting my bike.  At least it will be cooler in Texas in October. I wound up ordering the following.
Suspension Upgrade, Support Package
IMS Rally Tank, Natural
Seat Assembly by Seat Concepts
4-Stroke Pipe Guard
High Performance Water Pump Kit
Ready for the desert.


I was going to order through BYOB but didn't want to wait two months since I have an LA to Vegas Dual Sport ride planned in November. I'll just upgrade as I go. It'll be fun I think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 minute ago, gaortiz said:

 


I was going to order through BYOB but didn't want to wait two months since I have an LA to Vegas Dual Sport ride planned in November. I'll just upgrade as I go. It'll be fun I think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

 

Sounds like an intense ride.  How much dirt will you be doing on a ride like this?

Sounds like an intense ride.  How much dirt will you be doing on a ride like this?

90% dirt, rocks and deep ass sand. Plan on showing all the Huskys that the Beta can be the king of the desert too 🤣

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 minute ago, gaortiz said:


90% dirt, rocks and deep ass sand. Plan on showing all the Huskys that the Beta can be the king of the desert too 🤣

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

Around 250 miles?    What a great ride.   I plan on introducing the Beta to all of the KTM's and Huskys around here. 




Around 250 miles?    What a great ride.   I plan on introducing the Beta to all of the KTM's and Huskys around here. 

No, close to 400 miles. The route zigs and zags a lot!



Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

10 minutes ago, gaortiz said:


No, close to 400 miles. The route zigs and zags a lot!

 

 

 

 



Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

 

Woo.  Huge event. Lucky you're in CA and have that open space to ride man.  So is this a race of sorts?  Looks serious.

Woo.  Huge event. Lucky you're in CA and have that open space to ride man.  So is this a race of sorts?  Looks serious.

Not a race, just a ride. It'll be my first time doing the organized ride but I've ridden that desert a lot. Should be a blast

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

3 minutes ago, gaortiz said:


Not a race, just a ride. It'll be my first time doing the organized ride but I've ridden that desert a lot. Should be a blast

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

About halfway through the video now.  It looks tough and challenging but very cool.  That rocky section reminds me of our Chihuahuan desert (Big Bend) where I ride.  Whatever coms these guys are using are cool.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now