gascan DOT, EPA and CARB Certified Fuel Can That Don't Leak?

Here's my solution, standard 6 gal can that I cut off the stupid anti spill crap then added a 1" hose on that and a 50 cent pop in vent and pvc plug. Gotta be careful though cause it'll fill a bike in about 2 seconds:ride:

IMG_20170805_112545769_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea, but I bet there will be problems with that lower rotating hose fitting leaking when the jug has some age on it.  If it has serviceable o-rings you can change every couple years I would try one of the 5gal surecans.

• Like 1

It looks like a good idea as long as the moving parts don't leak...which seems inevitable really. Also being a vp product I bet it is an expensive gas can. If it could be kept functional without having to buy some expensive assembly I would consider one though.

I never would have thought pouring gas out of a can would be such a PITA until the new spouts came out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoking 2's said:

Here's my solution, standard 6 gal can that I cut off the stupid anti spill crap then added a 1" hose on that and a 50 cent pop in vent and pvc plug. Gotta be careful though cause it'll fill a bike in about 2 seconds:ride:

IMG_20170805_112545769_HDR.jpg

Where did you find/buy the pop in vent?

CARB and EPA requirements are that gas cans can't emit fuel vapors into the atmosphere... it's OK if they leak all over your shoes though.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, georet said:

Where did you find/buy the pop in vent?

I don't have the guys name but  got off eBay somewhere. $5 for 10 or 12

1 hour ago, motovita said:

Car and EPA requirements are that gas cans can't emit fuel vapors into the atmosphere... it's OK if they leak all over your shoes though.

Lol yep

Just looks like more crap to go wrong. Tried one of those self closing cans/spouts you just stick in to your tank and press down. It was great until the damn thing wouldn't close on it's own and the ground, my bike, and myself were covered in premix.:foul:I went back to a standard can with hose and won't bother with these new style cans again.

On 8/11/2017 at 1:30 PM, motovita said:

CARB and EPA requirements are that gas cans can't emit fuel vapors into the atmosphere... it's OK if they leak all over your shoes though.

I'll be sending you your royalty check. I quoted your comment in our product review video. :thumbsup:

On 8/11/2017 at 0:12 PM, wielywilly-g said:

Great idea, but I bet there will be problems with that lower rotating hose fitting leaking when the jug has some age on it.  If it has serviceable o-rings you can change every couple years I would try one of the 5gal surecans.

Yep, two o-ring seals on the pivoting spout.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 10:30 PM, SS109 said:

Just looks like more crap to go wrong. Tried one of those self closing cans/spouts you just stick in to your tank and press down. It was great until the damn thing wouldn't close on it's own and the ground, my bike, and myself were covered in premix.:foul:I went back to a standard can with hose and won't bother with these new style cans again.

The can actually worked very, very well. As soon as I let off the thumb trigger, the can stopped venting, the flow of fuel stopped and the short hose drained out quickly. This is one of the new EPA/CARB cans I can live with, just a little pricey.

Yeah this is the epitome of government ineptitude.  They put rules and restrictions into place in an attempt to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons evaporating into the atmosphere.  The result are cans are 2x-5x more expensive that cause everyone to spill large amounts of gasoline resulting in much higher quantities of hydrocarbons evaporating into the atmosphere.  I don't think I ever spilled gasoline in my life until these cans came out.

I remember when these cans first came out.  I bought one for my lawn mower and I just assumed they'd work well and keep the gasoline vapors out of the atmosphere.  I went to put gas into the lawn mower for the first time and grabbed the new can which had been sitting in a hot garage.  I took the cap off the nozzle and because there was so much pressure in the can gasoline shot out like a fountain 6 feet in the air.  It was probably 1/4 gallon.  All I could do is shake my head and think WTF?  In 2 seconds I probably put more gasoline vapors into the atmosphere than I had in the past 35 years of my life.

Doc

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Yeah this is the epitome of government ineptitude.  They put rules and restrictions into place in an attempt to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons evaporating into the atmosphere.  The result are cans are 2x-5x more expensive that cause everyone to spill large amounts of gasoline resulting in much higher quantities of hydrocarbons evaporating into the atmosphere.  I don't think I ever spilled gasoline in my life until these cans came out.

I remember when these cans first came out.  I bought one for my lawn mower and I just assumed they'd work well and keep the gasoline vapors out of the atmosphere.  I went to put gas into the lawn mower for the first time and grabbed the new can which had been sitting in a hot garage.  I took the cap off the nozzle and because there was so much pressure in the can gasoline shot out like a fountain 6 feet in the air.  It was probably 1/4 gallon.  All I could do is shake my head and think WTF?  In 2 seconds I probably put more gasoline vapors into the atmosphere than I had in the past 35 years of my life.

Doc

And, don't forget the lawyers who put companies like Blitz out of business b/c idiots poured fuel out of their cans on a friggen' open fire and ended up getting burned. 1 for the lawyers, 0 for personal responsibility.

• Like 1

I have two Eagle 5 gallon safety cans. Work great and don't normally spill. Made of metal so they won't crack over time

17 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

I have two Eagle 5 gallon safety cans. Work great and don't normally spill. Made of metal so they won't crack over time

Metal is definitely the best material for fuel cans. No question about it.

• Like 1

Yeah. They're a little heavier but are way more durable and I don't have to worry about them leaking or cracking