Cylinder works

Anybody have good luck with cylinder works? My bike was blowing blue smoke so I tore it down. Found really tiny holes in the cylinder. Resembled somebody taking a need and poking card board. Just very very tiny holes. No scoring. Piston and ring look fine, had a guy measure the ring end gap and it was within spec. I had the specs in front of me when he did it but cant remember now of the top of my head what it was. Very anal about my bike and maintenance. Not sure what would have caused this? Anybody ever send cylinders to cylinder works and get warranty? The guys I showed my cylinder too have been mechanics for many many many years and knowledgeable guys and even they said that was very weird and never seen anything like it.   

If you can click on the picture and look closely, you can see what I am talking about. You cant feel any of the scratches with your finger nail. 

20170811_115244.jpg

On 8/14/2017 at 10:52 AM, 1trackmind said:

I bought a new Cylinder Works cylinder for a WR450 a few years ago. I ran it for a few years without a problem. The guy I sold the bike to is still running it. 

Your cylinder does look weird. 

Apparently its normal. Called them and said this happens when it is made. I guess air pockets get stuck in the cylinder while being designed and after wear they start showing. Normal, but not good. ( what cylinder works told me ) I watched a video on youtube from millennium technology, and said within a square inch, 3 holes are okay. In my case, im at about 6-7+ so its shot. Not sure if I wanna buy another cylinder works cylinder or go with a OEM.  

On 8/15/2017 at 3:59 PM, Braaap04 said:

Apparently its normal. Called them and said this happens when it is made. I guess air pockets get stuck in the cylinder while being designed and after wear they start showing. Normal, but not good. ( what cylinder works told me ) I watched a video on youtube from millennium technology, and said within a square inch, 3 holes are okay. In my case, im at about 6-7+ so its shot.

Wow. That's interesting. 

I have used cylinder works in the past with no issues and would use them again. They are the same company as Vertex and they are the only pistons I use. When it comes to 4 strokes though I always try to use OEM unless a customer wants something else

I think cylinder I am gonna go OEM. I have a vertex piston in it and looked at a oem piston and the vertex has alot thicker skirt on it compared to the yami one. But my bike needs alot of work and the yami parts are actually cheaper for the most part.