Revving

I recently bought a DRZ400S that has been upgraded (exhaust, air box, carb) and I have a question.  My instincts on when to up shift is way low on the RPMs compared to what it is capable of.  For example, I want to shift to 4th at about 30 mph or less. I could probably hit 50+ in 3rd if I revved it out.  Is there are harm in shifting early as long as it is not lugging?

By the way, it has a 14 tooth front and 47 tooth rear sprocket.  The gears feel close together.  I am not use the the range of RPMs that this bike is capable of.  

With your 14/47 gearing, and assuming an OEM rear sized tire of 110/100-18, redline shifts happen around the following speeds:

1st = 36 mph

2nd = 48 mph

3rd = 61 mph

4th = 77 mph

So yes, you are short shifting.

Edited by Gary in NJ

I think my rear tire is 120/90-18. I have a backup to put on it that is a D606 130/90-18.  I guess that means I am really short shifting.   I guess I need to get used to the high RPMs. 

Edited by Marty Stouffer

110/100 or 120/90, basically the same circumference - only a 1% difference. Same numbers above apply.

that gear is way low for an S or on the street, it would be hard to lug it .. yeah, i'd be hitting high gear by 40mph ... if you zing it out, i look at that like, well, its really revving the power to the ground and ripping good ... just like a dirtbike .. most dirtbikes get rebuilt every season .. .so if thats not a problem ....

On 8/11/2017 at 9:07 AM, Marty Stouffer said:

I recently bought a DRZ400S that has been upgraded (exhaust, air box, carb) and I have a question.  My instincts on when to up shift is way low on the RPMs compared to what it is capable of.  For example, I want to shift to 4th at about 30 mph or less. I could probably hit 50+ in 3rd if I revved it out.  Is there are harm in shifting early as long as it is not lugging?

I always short shift if I'm not needing the power. The 606 with your gears should yield 75mph at 7,500.