mtnmanseth

'17 300RR Race ~55 mile range on stock tank

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm up to 30 hours on my new bike.  I'm getting right at 55 miles range (then switch to reserve) on a stock tank (2.5 gals) and not sure if that's normal.  So ~24 mpg.  Was hoping for a little more.  Float height is untouched but seems right, as it's hard to get it to dribble out the overflow line by tipping the bike way over, though I'm not sure if that's a good way to test.  I use this bike for technical slow (but sandy) singletrack in the high desert (2k-5k elevation) with sporadic WOT fast sections.  Stock jetting.  Zero spooge.  Runs great.  You guys getting the same fuel economy on yours?  Thanks

Edited by mtnmanseth

2 hours ago, mtnmanseth said:

I'm up to 30 hours on my new bike.  I'm getting right at 55 miles range (then switch to reserve) on a stock tank (2.5 gals) and not sure if that's normal.  So ~24 mpg.  Was hoping for a little more.  Float height is untouched but seems right, as it's hard to get it to dribble out the overflow line by tipping the bike way over, though I'm not sure if that's a good way to test.  I use this bike for technical slow (but sandy) singletrack in the high desert (2k-5k elevation) with sporadic WOT fast sections.  Stock jetting.  Zero spooge.  Runs great.  You guys getting the same fuel economy on yours?  Thanks

I would double check the float height, as it seems they are consistently high on these bikes. As far as the mileage...depending on throttle usage, that's in the ballpark. Even with a 3.1 gallon tank, I'd be lucky to get to 80 miles on my 300. I pack extra fuel for any rides more than 70 miles.

2 people like this

On August 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM, mtnmanseth said:

I'm getting right at 55 miles range (then switch to reserve) on a stock tank (2.5 gals) and not sure if that's normal.  So ~24 mpg.    I use this bike for technical slow (but sandy) singletrack in the high desert (2k-5k elevation)

I think you're doing OK in the type of conditions you're riding in. Maybe if you ride in conditions that don't require the power needed to power through the sandy conditions your mileage will improve. I was running a Lectron on my 13 300rr and the mileage was 35+, switch to a 38mm Keihin and the mileage dropped to 25ish but the increase in performance is well worth it. I run a 3.1 gal tank and if I anticipate a longer ride than 75 miles I carry gas. My 09 KTM 300 xcw gets a consistent 30 mpg with a Keihin PWK 36.

I agree with the others. It's probably pretty close, depending on how hard you are riding.  I get 75 miles to the tank if I'm riding it hard (and my idea of hard is taking it pretty easy haha), 85 - 90 miles if I take it easy knowing it's a long ways to a gas stop.