OK Rational Thought...rear spring

Really thinking about this, $800 to much for suspension on a 2013 CRF250L, looked up spring for my need and a 12.5kg (SK SPRING 9.0 x 2.25" 12.5kg) will do what I need with stock shock.  My question is will a 12.5 rebound too hard and stress shock to much?  The stock shock seems pretty frail, got a friends rear stock shock and spring on it, he says can keep it, just thinking of putting a good spring on it.  And for what I do now, seems OK in therory, just my concern of rebound pulling shock apart eventually.    Thoughts?

Edited by oldsoldier173

You sound like you really enjoy your offroad riding. The stock shock is crap. I fitted a hyperpro rear spring, and it did stiffen the rear up some - but I only ride on road.

Spoil yourself and get a quality rear shock. You deserve it.

If you can't justify the price, sell something you enjoy less than riding your bike.

Edited by Garth Knight
  • Like 1

The suspension is a key part of performance off road, spend the money you won't regret it. It totally transformed my bike. The stock suspension really is garbage and it is where Honda cut price big time. Luckily it's easily fixed.

• Like 1

This is kinda the last hurrah for dirt bikes.  I am down to the 'L' for a 'dirt bike' as with age (67) and physical issues momma made me sell the modded 250X.  I am no longer 'fast' as I was, but can over do it as I did when I broke the stock shock.  Mainly I run the backyard track as my daily physical training and when grand daughter Lilly is here I ride with her to 'push' her a bit as she trains as she is getting faster and faster.  We are getting her a KLX140L with some 'go fast' mods, and she has agreed to let some of the other girls in her class 'place' the last few races this season to build up the 11-16 Girls class in the area.

I looked at totally rebuilding the L with primo suspension, and other 'fun' additions, but if I do I will race it above what I can do and I will break me far before I break the L.  I ride it like a 70's XR250, don't fly, and keep power to the ground and just having fun.  She did bunny hop bad, knew shock was going, banged that berm and literally broke shock.  Big thanks to Greg for the 'free' replacement stock shock and spring to keep it up and running as I research and shop around.  For what I do and can do anymore just thinking a good rear spring will work for me.  Did call race tech late this afternoon and the nice young lady assured me the rebound will not stress out stock shock, so will try that.  And with the 'enduro' setup on spec's it appears I can leave front alone for what I do, just that 12.5kg spring and ride on.

The suspension combo's are expensive as it is still a 13 CRF250L, though rebuilt to an extent a $1000 suspension upgrade now seems not worth it and will create issues in I will over do it.  I have ulner nerve palsy in both hands so I have thumb and two inner fingers functional, outside fingers totally inop, so holding on to bars can get iffy at times one of the reasons the X is gone.  I love to ride the dirt, been doing it since late 60's but I am at that point where common sense has to override fast and stupid.

At least get a fork spring kit to match the rear, it's a simple job and probably costs not much more than $100

This is kinda the last hurrah for dirt bikes.  I am down to the 'L' for a 'dirt bike' as with age (67) and physical issues momma made me sell the modded 250X.  I am no longer 'fast' as I was, but can over do it as I did when I broke the stock shock.  Mainly I run the backyard track as my daily physical training and when grand daughter Lilly is here I ride with her to 'push' her a bit as she trains as she is getting faster and faster.  We are getting her a KLX140L with some 'go fast' mods, and she has agreed to let some of the other girls in her class 'place' the last few races this season to build up the 11-16 Girls class in the area.

I looked at totally rebuilding the L with primo suspension, and other 'fun' additions, but if I do I will race it above what I can do and I will break me far before I break the L.  I ride it like a 70's XR250, don't fly, and keep power to the ground and just having fun.  She did bunny hop bad, knew shock was going, banged that berm and literally broke shock.  Big thanks to Greg for the 'free' replacement stock shock and spring to keep it up and running as I research and shop around.  For what I do and can do anymore just thinking a good rear spring will work for me.  Did call race tech late this afternoon and the nice young lady assured me the rebound will not stress out stock shock, so will try that.  And with the 'enduro' setup on spec's it appears I can leave front alone for what I do, just that 12.5kg spring and ride on.

The suspension combo's are expensive as it is still a 13 CRF250L, though rebuilt to an extent a $1000 suspension upgrade now seems not worth it and will create issues in I will over do it.  I have ulner nerve palsy in both hands so I have thumb and two inner fingers functional, outside fingers totally inop, so holding on to bars can get iffy at times one of the reasons the X is gone.  I love to ride the dirt, been doing it since late 60's but I am at that point where common sense has to override fast and stupid.

SORRY somehow double post..........................

Goal is get her up and running, save up and upgrade over winter, big purchase not a momma happy thing right now...........................

Edited by oldsoldier173