Goldentyre Fatty front cracking side knobs

Just noticed that my GT216's side knobs are all cracked. I have not ripped one off yet but every one has a good crack. Anyone else seeing this. These are not the new 216 fronts with the white patch and not the DST. 

Only took three rides to destroy this tire. 200 miles of Idaho Mountain trails, done. Work's good. Wear is terrible.

1 minute ago, Dave Wood said:

Only took three rides to destroy this tire. 200 miles of Idaho Mountain trails, done. Work's good. Wear is terrible.

Good to know, those things aren't cheap.  It was one tire I've had in the back of my mind to try someday, but I'll bet the high desert would destroy them.

38 minutes ago, Monk said:

Too low of pressure... 

Thought that may be the case as well. Been running them between 11.5 to 12.5. I do run a lot of high speed rocks though. 

Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

Good to know, those things aren't cheap.  It was one tire I've had in the back of my mind to try someday, but I'll bet the high desert would destroy them.

Try the 4ply DST. I have them as well and they are bulletproof. No side knobs cracking 

is that really what causes it?? too low of pressure?

I ran a new kenda at kind of a low pressure... and killed it within 10 rides.  cracks forming on the 2nd ride.

pretty sure I got a guy in calgary that sells the 216s for 100$ a pop. brought in a seacan full for personal use/selling on the side.

Edited by cdf450

8 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

is that really what causes it?? too low of pressure?

I ran a new kenda at kind of a low pressure... and killed it within 10 rides.  cracks forming on the 2nd ride.

pretty sure I got a guy in calgary that sells the 216s for 100$ a pop. brought in a seacan full for personal use/selling on the side.

Quite often less than recommended pressure causes knobs to rip off. Happens a lot with Dunlop MX3's.

I pay around $115 a tire landed after tax.

i have some Gibson tires coming from the owner to try out this month. We will see if they are any better. 

• Like 1

so 12 PSI is too low eh.   I ride nasty rocks too.  interesting... ill try 16PSI then!!  (tubliss BTW... not sure if that matters)

2 hours ago, ckny said:

Just noticed that my GT216's side knobs are all cracked. I have not ripped one off yet but every one has a good crack. Anyone else seeing this. These are not the new 216 fronts with the white patch and not the DST. 

How many miles? I run a Dunlop M32 or sometimes a 52 and thy both start to chunk around 800 miles.

No way I could get 800 miles out of a tire. Maybe 200ish. That tire has around 15 hours on it. 

• Like 1

Im running 10 psi on my fatty and it looks great after a few rides.  However, the trails we tend to ride are more woods than rocks here in Western WA.  Twice its been to Walker Valley which has a good amount of rock sections and its handled it great.  My previous M59's would start to crack side knobs after a while at 10psi.. Time will tell with the Fatty here.

• Like 1

I have about 250 miles on mine and the tire still looks almost new. No cracking running 11psi with Tubliss. I ride the Sonoran desert so there are lots of rocks along with sand, hard pack, decomposed granite, and silt. BTW, I only pay $80 for mine. That puts them on par cost wise with Maxxis, Dunlop, and other name brands.

me and the OP were talking 100 and 115 canadian dollars... about $80 USD.

so maybe its not the PSI that causes tires to crack, but moreso the compound? or maybe a combo of the two?

soft tire + low PSI is a bad idea I take it.

It's a problem with the tires..... my buddy Scott and both put on the 216AA around the same time, and within a short time both of our tires had the exact same thing.... chunking off all the side knobs. And ones that were still on, were split and you could fold them over. I finally took it off after 2.5 months and went back to my tried and true M59, which lasts forever, even on the nasty rocky stuff we always ride on. Of course if you don't ride in a rocky area, you very well may not have this problem with this tire. But they def don't hold up here, that's for sure

This was mine

0606171347_HDR_zpsjfaytb6d.jpg

From what I understand, some key people left Golden Tyre over some discrepancies with the manufacturing, resulting in a poor quality product. Something about the rubber not being allowed to set up as long as it should, and making the tires extra soft and prone to chunking. So these people that left Golden Tyre went and started Gibson Tyre

http://gibsontyretech.co.uk/home

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thirdgenlxi said:

It's a problem with the tires..... my buddy Scott and both put on the 216AA around the same time, and within a short time both of our tires had the exact same thing.... chunking off all the side knobs. And ones that were still on, were split and you could fold them over. I finally took it off after 2.5 months and went back to my tried and true M59, which lasts forever, even on the nasty rocky stuff we always ride on. Of course if you don't ride in a rocky area, you very well may not have this problem with this tire. But they def don't hold up here, that's for sure

This was mine

0606171347_HDR_zpsjfaytb6d.jpg

From what I understand, some key people left Golden Tyre over some discrepancies with the manufacturing, resulting in a poor quality product. Something about the rubber not being allowed to set up as long as it should, and making the tires extra soft and prone to chunking. So these people that left Golden Tyre went and started Gibson Tyre

http://gibsontyretech.co.uk/home

One of my riding buddies is friends with Josh, the owner of Gibson. 

He just shipped us over a bunch of tires to test. They recently moved their production to South Korea from China and supposedly have the tires dialed in now. I know Monk had tested some pre production tires. 

I tried the Gibson mx1.1 this spring, I bought it last fall but didn't need it until then, it only lasted 3 short rides and was missing 1/2 the knobs, even the knobs between the side knobs and the center of the tire came off. I hope the new ones hold up as it worked great for the first 2 rides. Oddly my neighbor put one on last fall and is still running it, its worn out now but only cracked a few knobs. We ride in the same really rocky places at the same time on similar bikes but I weigh 80 pounds more than him.

He just ordered a gt216aa fatty the other day as I told em it lasted well in rocks and the bigger tires don't pinch flat as easily, looks like I lied to him about it lasting lol.

Im running the 90/100 shinko 546, its the same width as the last kenda and Pirelli 80/100's I've run just taller, I havent ridden it enough to review it well yet but I'm sure it will be fine unless it falls apart too. I'm waiting to see his fatty to see if its wider than 80/100's, I like that the shinko is tall but still skinny.

9 minutes ago, biglake said:

I tried the Gibson mx1.1 this spring, I bought it last fall but didn't need it until then, it only lasted 3 short rides and was missing 1/2 the knobs, even the knobs between the side knobs and the center of the tire came off. I hope the new ones hold up as it worked great for the first 2 rides. Oddly my neighbor put one on last fall and is still running it, its worn out now but only cracked a few knobs. We ride in the same really rocky places at the same time on similar bikes but I weigh 80 pounds more than him.

He just ordered a gt216aa fatty the other day as I told em it lasted well in rocks and the bigger tires don't pinch flat as easily, looks like I lied to him about it lasting lol.

Im running the 90/100 shinko 546, its the same width as the last kenda and Pirelli 80/100's I've run just taller, I havent ridden it enough to review it well yet but I'm sure it will be fine unless it falls apart too. I'm waiting to see his fatty to see if its wider than 80/100's, I like that the shinko is tall but still skinny.

The GT fatty is definitely wider and not near as tall as the Shinko. That Shinko is freakishly tall. Seems like it raises the front 1" and  I didn't like it.

2 hours ago, biglake said:

Where is he getting the Golden? The US? 

Josh is telling my buddy and I that since they moved to South Korea the issues are gone. We will be testing quite a few models.

I will follow up with a report. They are developing a new enduro tire, should be pretty darn good.