(Hydraulic) Clutch Problems

I have a 2013 Husaberg TE 250 and I'm having some clutch problems. When I first bought the bike the clutch had very little pressure, I took it apart and saw the brake fluid was black and the master cylinder of the hydraulic clutch was f**ked. I rebuilt it with a kit and it held pressure much better. The issue I am running into now is that for the clutch to be completely disengaged the lever needs to be against the bar. I use one finger on the clutch so I would like for it to be pulled to my fingers and be fully disengaged.

Put the bike on the kickstand and went to bleed the clutch by popping the slave cylinder off and seeing if it bubbled in the top resevoir. What looked like brake fluid started leaking from the gearbox where the slave was attached. I had to put the bike on an actual bike stand to get the fluid to stop draining. Didn't look like gear oil but I will check my level again once I am done to be safe. I'm not losing tons of brake fluid (barely needed to fill up the resevoir) but I would like the clutch to disengage without having to pull the lever all the way into the bar. I believe that either the slave cylinder is bad and is not applying enough force on the pushrod, which would explain the fluid leaking out of the gearbox when I popped it off. Either that or something is wrong with the clutch that it requires a lot of force to be applied from the slave to disengage. If that were the case I would think I would notice something wrong with the clutch when riding though, also recently changed my gear oil and it looked very clean. Do you guys have any suggestions to fix my problem? Was the fluid that leaked out when I popped off my slave cylinder brake fluid or gear oil? Should I be worried if brake fluid is leaking into my gearbox? Thanks in advance!

Did you find a solution? I'm having exact same issue down to the fluid leaking from the gearbox (pretty sure it's oil.) I bled the piss out of mine and now can't get hardly any pressure

Transmission oil is expected when you pop off the slave. Mineral Oil is not.

I would just replace the oring on the slave. I'm pretty confident that will fix the problem. If you check around you can find the size on this forum. Just remove the clip and the "plunger" with the oring will come out.

This is usually caused by the gasket on the clutch cap being swollen and out of shape , when this happens there's not enough fluid in the Master cylinder to work the clutch right. Post a pic the one on the left is bad the one in the middle is usable in the one on the right is new.

0801171103.jpg

On 8/19/2017 at 1:38 AM, bfaucett said:

Did you find a solution? I'm having exact same issue down to the fluid leaking from the gearbox (pretty sure it's oil.) I bled the piss out of mine and now can't get hardly any pressure

So solved the problem on my bike. Basically what I would do is pop your slave cylinder off and see if you have pressure, when you pull the clutch it should push far out and should hold its pressure. You can put a C clamp on the slave and see if it holds it firm. If not then something is wrong with your hydraulic system. I would just drain your fluid and replace it with dot 4/5.1 by reverse bleeding it using a syringe. Makes it much easier, just buy a kit from NAPA or any auto parts store. Ones you fill up your resevoir a couple times and stop seeing air bubbles pump the lever til the slave is pushing all the way out. Replace the lid on the reservoir and check for pressure. If its still not holding firm against the clamp something is wrong with your slave/master cylinder or your line. Check gaskets on the piston in the master cylinder and on the plunger in your slave. Chances are that will be your problem.

Also make sure you have the correct spacer on your clutch lever**