Frame thread repair

I had an awesome thing happen today. As I was putting the subframe on to the frame, the bolt on the shifter side completely pulled out the threads. Now I can't torque it down to spec and not sure what to do. Researched putting in a time sert but they're expensive as hell. 

Anyone have any other ideas that I can use to repair this? 

So you stripped a weld-nut?  The one underneath the exhaust bolt?

If so, the easiest way to get you back on the track is a longer bolt and another nut, possibly one size smaller. 

If it were mine I would give it a more permanent fix by getting another nut, welding it on, then spraying it with some shakem-up...as soon as the longer bolt and nut breaks or I get tired of dealing with it, whichever occurs first.

Edited by Trfsrfr

Helicoil.
Done

What he said. It's awesome and you can't get a whole kit for cheap.

Just start talking to people you know. Someone has them already. Old guys are the best. They have too much of everything and will probably just give you one.

Or you could always drill up to the next size and rethread.

Like go to m10 up from m8. I forgot what bolt youre talking about...subframe? Might be m10. 

Either way Id do helicoil...if you have to buy a case, then now youll have em for next time.

Oil all your bolts and all your bolts have a torque spec. Use them. Longevity

I'd just go with a 1/4 - 20 x 1-1/2" with a nylock and be riding in 2 minutes and 2 seconds for under $1.00.

3 hours ago, gduck24 said:

I'm old, and yes I would give you one. Prolly install it for you tooemoji3.png

See what I mean? To a guy whos been doing this for 30 years, this is like flicking a booger to him...and we got plenty of boogers! I usually try to go with seniority. They know what they make hundreds on. An a helicoil install is such a breeze to the experienced, that we get more out of helping someone out so they can get back to riding.

Good man gduck24

24 is my race#

See what I mean? To a guy whos been doing this for 30 years, this is like flicking a booger to him...and we got plenty of boogers! I usually try to go with seniority. They know what they make hundreds on. An a helicoil install is such a breeze to the experienced, that we get more out of helping someone out so they can get back to riding.
Good man gduck24
24 is my race#

Lol. It's everybody's number! I'm 24x or something every other race! Embrace the boogers. You learn after a while to help others and yourself. I'll give away a spare lever in a heartbeat because it's a big circle. It all comes back around.
  • Like 1

I'm finding that out. I wouldn't have been able to do half of what I've done so far in this build without the help of this forum. 

• Like 2