drumiv

XT tire choice

13 posts in this topic

I want to replace the stock d.o.t. tire on my XT. I want the Dunlop MX3S, but the largest size is 120/90/18. Stock tire/o/m. spec. is 140/80/18. Anyone swap out their rear tire's with a narrower one? What's your impression?T.I.A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why you limiting yourself to the Dunlop? There's a flock of other great tires to choose. You want another DOT tire? or just a description of what you got.. For me I go big. I don't go smaller for front and rear tire...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 When I asked a friend who races harescrambles here locally what tires he/they run, he suggested the Michelin S12S front, Dunlop MX3S rear. I put them on my Honda and love them. I want the same for this bike, but was worried about the smaller diameter. I see that IRC makes a 140/80/18 sand tire. Any thoughts?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, drumiv said:

 When I asked a friend who races harescrambles here locally what tires he/they run, he suggested the Michelin S12S front, Dunlop MX3S rear. I put them on my Honda and love them. I want the same for this bike, but was worried about the smaller diameter. I see that IRC makes a 140/80/18 sand tire. Any thoughts?

Well that seems like a good idea going to a local guy to ask about what to use in local terrain. I just never heard of that dunlop as a go to tire locally. We have a wide variety of other tires that guys are using. I still think I'd go bigger both in back and front but I don't ride your terrain too. I'm currentyl running a 90/100 motoz ht up front and a kenda ibex rear in whatever the biggest size they had.  I'm not sure what terrain what you ride but so far both are working good where I am.

.just so you get an idea of size.. Here's the tire I put on..

This first Beta below is my bike.. and has the tire I bought by mistake but it ended up being a blessing.. the compound works excellent here.. even though the knobs aren't made for the wet. it's a desert tire. it hooks up unreal and makes the front end smoother.  check about 6 seconds in or so..

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some other local go to tires .. even though slavens rides colorado and I'm hawaii.... I don't know if it's what would be good for where you are.. but here's a look anyway..I will say that the mountain hybrid doesn't work so well.. where I am though..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting those, interesting. We have different terrain here, that's for sure. Sugar sand is what you have to be prepared for; no matter what, you'll run into it sooner or later. Florida is mostly flat, although most of our riding areas seem to be old phosphate mines, so always some elevation changes. Also we're now in the rainy season, so mud as well. I was running Scorpions 'till my friend suggested the other combo, which definitely work better. He also said something I found interesting and true; the thinner profile rear turns better. My 450 specs a 110! I always thought wider the better, but was happily surprised going from the 120 to the 110.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tire sizes aren't consistent between brands.  The stock 140 isn't like other 140's. 

You probably want a 110 or 120. For racing we use a 110 Kenda the 300 and 350 RR's. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, drumiv said:

Thanks for posting those, interesting. We have different terrain here, that's for sure. Sugar sand is what you have to be prepared for; no matter what, you'll run into it sooner or later. Florida is mostly flat, although most of our riding areas seem to be old phosphate mines, so always some elevation changes. Also we're now in the rainy season, so mud as well. I was running Scorpions 'till my friend suggested the other combo, which definitely work better. He also said something I found interesting and true; the thinner profile rear turns better. My 450 specs a 110! I always thought wider the better, but was happily surprised going from the 120 to the 110.

Yea I think riding area and riding style sort of drive tire choices. I'm not riding in sugar sand. I'm sure I'd adjust accordingly with tires that work better there. We have large lack of traction issues. Bigger knobby works there and trials tires for the extreme enduro mud days. Again different terrain so... I guess my recommendations aren't good for you to follow for your riding.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

140 IRC M5b evo or 130 IRC M5b standard. Don't listen to HDR on his opinion on it ;).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

140 IRC M5b evo or 130 IRC M5b standard. Don't listen to HDR on his opinion on it

<img src="https://thumpertalk.com/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.gif" alt=";)" srcset="https://thumpertalk.com/uploads/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" width="16" height="16"> .

Yea for where you are the M5B ought to be good. It sucks here...It's big for nothing here. Rubber compound sucks. They're huge and look great though.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mb5 is considered a sand, mud tire. I run it on the roots, rocks, clay, wet conditions and it destroys. The evo is a much gummier compound than the original. May be worth a shot for you. Have run the mt16 in the past. Like that tire as well a lot. Doesn't compare to the m5b though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. Ordered the M5B.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with: