Keep or Sell?

I bought a 2006 CRF250R about 6 months ago for $1900 and this thing seems to be a money pit. I have rebuilt the front shocks, replaced the clutch, installed a new head w/SS valve kit, replaced the bearings/bushings in the swing arm linkage along with a bunch of other repairs that seem to nickel and dime me to aggravation. Soon it will need a new stator and flywheel. I have a total of $3200 in this bike. I love riding it when I'm not fixing it ($$) but should I sell it and look for a newer one or keep it because I have almost rebuilt the whole bike?

Sell it and get a green bike . .. no seriously all bikes cost $$ to maintain properly with that being said sounds like you have that bike almost back to right and in good shape and you need to fix the stator etc to keep or sell so maybe fix it and ride and see what you think .. I would probably keep it if I had that much into fixing everything unless you get a new bike it's probably more used than that bike you have .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

3 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

why does it have shocks on the front of it, assembly error?

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

all bikes are money pits, but you should buy a two stroke because they are slightly less so

Sorry, front forks. When I had 4 strokes when I was a kid they didn't require work all the time. You changed the oil, cleaned the air filter and rode it. That's what I was thinking before I bought this one. 2-strokes we're something you worked on more than you rode.

Ya I bought a 2005 in 2010 for $2500 and have done most of what you have done (IMO if you replacing the flywheel and depending on where/how you ride go with a Stealthy FWW) and probably have about $3000 (not including tires, oils/filters, plastics etc) into it since 2010 (so about $450 per year) and have spent a lot of time getting it set-up for where and how I ride and IMO I love the bike BUT I did not know at the time what the bike was nor where/how I wanted to ride and IMO I reasonably happy .

Now with that said, I run an hour meter and keep a log book of all my rides/oil changes/maintenance etc and have recently been offered $3500 for the bike but I would have a hard time selling it cus my next bike is going to cost $10,000 and at this ppoint I would just keep it for a back up.

So you currently have $5000 into it, now you have to figure out what you could sell it for, then what the next bike is going to be really not something anyone is going to be able to tell you.

I'm sure none of the above helps you but heres a recent pic of my 05 :)

OMIMG_20160630_113408_zpsoqsvgcmn.JPG.bb367e63395c609419fcb6a15f94ee60.JPG

• Like 2

With new bikes in the 8K-10K range, it's often cheaper to fix up an older bike back to new

on the condition you can do most if not all the work yourself (engine, suspension components etc.)

but one consideration is parts availability, perhaps not a problem for a popular make & model like a CRF

but at some point parts may become scarce so continuously investing in an older / not as common bike isn't a wise choice.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

keep it, i got an 04.

try not to focus on how much you got into it, lol. otherwise add the cost of those maintenance items to the price of a newer bike, it may need them just the same.  

• Like 2

On 8/12/2017 at 3:31 AM, tjne said:

I bought a 2006 CRF250R about 6 months ago for $1900 and this thing seems to be a money pit. I have rebuilt the front shocks, replaced the clutch, installed a new head w/SS valve kit, replaced the bearings/bushings in the swing arm linkage along with a bunch of other repairs that seem to nickel and dime me to aggravation. Soon it will need a new stator and flywheel. I have a total of $3200 in this bike. I love riding it when I'm not fixing it ($$) but should I sell it and look for a newer one or keep it because I have almost rebuilt the whole bike?

All bikes SUCK your wallet dry. There is no way to recoup the outlay of cash. You hafta decide how much is OK with you. The CRF250R is a good riding bike and YOU like it so I'd keep it for a while longer (5 years?). Mlatour raises a good point but with this bike there's a bazillion parts of them still. 

Will say that newer FI 250Fs with less than 80 hours on them are pretty cheap on CL. Lots of fear perpetuated by this site makes them lose value very very quickly. Makes for a nice available upgrade when the time comes. Because of this, IMO, there's never a reason to buy new because there's a massive supply of them sold used for cheap compared to a European "purpose built" trail bike. I've ridden these $10K bikes and for me - the KTM (2017+ two stroke) is not the bike it's hyped to be but the Beta trail bike is very nice. Just need someone with a low hour Beta to sell it cheap so they can chase the FI KTM two stroke.... Until then, enjoy your low cost outdated bike. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeavyRotation said:

@ shrub
"but the Beta trail bike is very nice. Just need someone with a low hour Beta to sell it cheap"

You just stick to your end of the PNW Craigslist bub, any used Beta 300 from Vantucky south is mine! 🙄

Super secret information give-away.... The 250RR is just as good if not better. :busted::devil: Cheaper and more availability too. It's on my buy list but no reason to rush now... wait until the 2018 fuel injected 300XC is widely owned and reported on. People will be dropping big coin on these when the hype-machine inferno takes off. They'll have but little choice other than to sell their inferior, outdated, not from Austria, Beta for cheap. :) 

• Like 2

Super secret information give-away.... The 250RR is just as good if not better. :busted::devil: Cheaper and more availability too. It's on my buy list but no reason to rush now... wait until the 2018 fuel injected 300XC is widely owned and reported on. People will be dropping big coin on these when the hype-machine inferno takes off. They'll have but little choice other than to sell their inferior, outdated, not from Austria, Beta for cheap. :) 

I hope so, every video I watch of those beta 300s just chugging along I'm like, my yz woulda stalled out 6 times already lol.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. I will likely keep it, I'm frustrated I haven't been able to ride in about 2 months because of different things happening. Just when I think I got S^!t together and will be able to go riding something else comes up that cost $ and time and I'm set back another week. And my bike fund is pretty weak right now.

15 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

I hope so, every video I watch of those beta 300s just chugging along I'm like, my yz woulda stalled out 6 times already lol.

Ya a new Beta is in my top 3 new bike list or a Husky but I keep buying lottery tickets. If I DID win a BUNCH of $$$ I think might even do some TT free giveaways :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya a new Beta is in my top 3 new bike list or a Husky but I keep buying lottery tickets. If I DID win a BUNCH of $$$ I think might even do some TT free giveaways :)

Shrub is closer to you than HeavyFlotation so Shrub wins the prize. :ride:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tjne said:

Thanks for the advice. I will likely keep it, I'm frustrated I haven't been able to ride in about 2 months because of different things happening. Just when I think I got S^!t together and will be able to go riding something else comes up that cost $ and time and I'm set back another week. And my bike fund is pretty weak right now.

Other than a brand new bike, any used bike that you buy has potential problems too. At the very least worn tires, chain and sprocket, off road setup (convert MX to trail bike mods $$$), etc. On the rare occasion someone is actually selling a bike that is issue free needing no maintenance (like the ones I sell for a loss :bonk: ) then you should grab one of those. Quite hard to find one of those. Often times you think that you've found one like that but because of searching for weeks, and then driving for 3 hours, once you arrive at the bike you overlook the items is needs and then you take it home..... ba-bam! back to wrenching again. :banghead:

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 2

Other than a brand new bike, any used bike that you buy has potential problems too. At the very least worn tires, chain and sprocket, off road setup (convert MX to trail bike mods $$$), etc. On the rare occasion someone is actually selling a bike that is issue free needing no maintenance (like the ones I sell for a loss :bonk: ) then you should grab one of those. Quite hard to find one of those. Often times you think that you've found one like that but because of searching for weeks, and then driving for 3 hours, once you arrive at the bike you overlook the items is needs and then you take it home..... ba-bam! back to wrenching again. :banghead:

Some peeps told me I overpaid for Signman606's DRZ but I've done nothing but change oil, tires, brake pads and ride the piss out of it because EVERY MOD was already done and it was perfect. I paid maybe a $600 premium over similar bikes that would've cost me thousands to set up how I wanted.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Some peeps told me I overpaid for Signman606's DRZ but I've done nothing but change oil, tires, brake pads and ride the piss out of it because EVERY MOD was already done and it was perfect. I paid maybe a $600 premium over similar bikes that would've cost me thousands to set up how I wanted.

This is exactly how to buy a used bike. :cheers: No matter what you buy someone will say you were ripped off. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 2