2016+ TAC fork owners, huck valve review

OK been meaning to do a write up on the HUCK valve for awhile as ive been running it for some time. I had a MX Tech huck valve installed in my TAC air fork. This is single best addition I made to air forks ! If you ride moto you know that with this air fork its virtually impossible to get a air setting that is plush and resists bottoming at same time, at least for my 210 lb weight. What this huck valve does is it gives you amazing bottoming control at lower fork air pressures so you can have best of both worlds. It makes the TAC fork work VERY well for motocross. You can purposely over jump and it just eats every landing .It simply replaces stock bottoming cone with a much improved bottoming system, with shims that are adjustable if you desire. I thought it worked perfectly as it came setup from MXtech. This would be the first mod id do if your not happy with bottoming control of the TAC fork. 

With huck valve I ran 187 inner 0 outer and 197 balance. The 10 psi separation from inner to balance works much better than matching the pressures. It transitions well from a landing to getting set up for a corner much better. Yes I know putting air in the outer chamber helps with bottoming  but it also takes away from small bump compliance and most importantly kills front wheel traction IMHO. 

On side note I just bought a KTM 450sxf so I will be listing lots of Kawasaki 450 parts shortly,sprockets, brake rotors, wheel sets , etc

How do you like the KTM?  I am thinking of changing from my kx450f which has been awesome, but the KTM has so much nice stuff

I dont think youll be disappointed. By far my 16 KX450f was my favorite bike, ive ran Suzukis, Yamahas and Hondas over the years. I really had no complaints with it I just wanted to try a KTM . Biggest differences I notice is the KTM is better built as far as machined parts instead of cast , the electric start is great! . I got the 18 KTM so it has more powerful battery than the older models. 

Biggest difference riding the 16 KX450f feels much lighter in the air, its easy to whip left or right or make corrections front to back with brakes or throttle. The KTM is more stable in the air and choosing a line either in a corner or up the face of a jump is super easy compared to the Kawasaki. Another big difference is KTM is super well balanced in corners, doesnt do anything funny. Also I notice myself putting my feet down much less as a result of how balanced it is.  

Suspension, the Rear shock on KTM is better right out of the box, the forks take some time to break in but once they do they work really well,im at around 15 hours on KTM now. First bike Ive ever had that im happy with stock suspension with just minor adjustments.

Power, no comparison, the extra HP on KTM is noticeable. Smooth and controllable but if you twist the throttle it rips. Traction control works and im probably faster on slick track running it but its not as fun as it feels more like a 250f.

My son has a 16 KX450f as well and he was amazed at cornering of ktm too. Hes an "A" rider and I run vet class and open class.  

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 3:22 PM, suprfst said:

OK been meaning to do a write up on the HUCK valve for awhile as ive been running it for some time. I had a MX Tech huck valve installed in my TAC air fork. This is single best addition I made to air forks ! If you ride moto you know that with this air fork its virtually impossible to get a air setting that is plush and resists bottoming at same time, at least for my 210 lb weight. What this huck valve does is it gives you amazing bottoming control at lower fork air pressures so you can have best of both worlds. It makes the TAC fork work VERY well for motocross. You can purposely over jump and it just eats every landing .It simply replaces stock bottoming cone with a much improved bottoming system, with shims that are adjustable if you desire. I thought it worked perfectly as it came setup from MXtech. This would be the first mod id do if your not happy with bottoming control of the TAC fork. 

With huck valve I ran 187 inner 0 outer and 197 balance. The 10 psi separation from inner to balance works much better than matching the pressures. It transitions well from a landing to getting set up for a corner much better. Yes I know putting air in the outer chamber helps with bottoming  but it also takes away from small bump compliance and most importantly kills front wheel traction IMHO. 

On side note I just bought a KTM 450sxf so I will be listing lots of Kawasaki 450 parts shortly,sprockets, brake rotors, wheel sets , etc

I'm not a fan of the huck valve. I have them in my PSF spring conversion from Mx tech. After 2 revalves, my tuner just disabled by using washers instead of the recommended shims. 

After that my forks worked great!!

So no more trinkets for me from mx tech. As a reference, I am a reasonably quick +40 vet who hates forks that bottom. 

Edited by skthom2320

Yea  I agree the forks on my 13 kx450f were very progressive and had good bottoming control on there own. I lucked out and that bike had been re valved by Factory connection by previous owner. The forks worked well, I didnt realize how much better than stock they were until my son had picked up a stock 13 KX450F. The TAC forks dont ramp up at the bottom of the travel like the PSF so the Huck valve helps a lot for bottoming.

• Like 1

I wasn’t as lucky as you guys. I’m a 43 yr old vet rider. I way 150 lbs. I was running the stock recommended air pressure “soft”settings with 105 sag. As well as the stock recommended shock settings.I stiffened up my compression 1 click . I found this works best in the sandy Florida conditions. Unfortunately I over jumped an average size double and bottomed out my suspension broke both my ankles and shattered my heal. I have ridden MotoX for 20 years owned about 10 different bikes I have overjumped countless doubles and never injured myself. Fastforward 7 months 2 surgery’s and $5,500.00 in medical bills. Now Im broke and stuck with these shitty ass air forks....