Maplepoles

Melted polisport fender on 500 rs

7 posts in this topic

I replaced the stock rear fender after a wheelie mishap, on my 2016 500.  Must have forgot the exhaust heat tape or pad of some sort, because I melted through the new fender on the muffler side.  I ride with Giant Loop saddle bags all the time so it always covered it and never happened with the stock fender.  Anybody know what type of heat shield was under the stock fender?  Btw, I tried some stick on flat heat shield after I noticed it, but it kept melting.   

3 hours ago, Maplepoles said:

I replaced the stock rear fender after a wheelie mishap, on my 2016 500.  Must have forgot the exhaust heat tape or pad of some sort, because I melted through the new fender on the muffler side.  I ride with Giant Loop saddle bags all the time so it always covered it and never happened with the stock fender.  Anybody know what type of heat shield was under the stock fender?  Btw, I tried some stick on flat heat shield after I noticed it, but it kept melting.   

Going to have to show a picture of your bike loaded so we can see what n why. I've smoked a turn signal on that side, but your outlet must have been pointing at the fender, possibly after your mishap the muffler got tweaked? I've run both brands of plastic and never saw this....

Gotta pic?

More precisely I guess it's the number plate area of the fender.  I have the new fender and I happen to be replacing the exhaust. Seems like there must have been something between the number plate and the exhaust that I forgot to get off the stock fender.  The way it's on there now, the edge of the fender touches the exhaust.  Btw, the discoloration higher up on the number plate is from the Giant Loop saddle bags.  The bags discolored the last stock fender also, but no biggy because I always ride with the bags.  

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

Awww, OK. Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense. Possible different packing of supplies on that side? Bags can always play games similar to that. Yeah the plastic had really no responsibilities to that F-up. But I've found that the Polisport is a little more flexible, maybe = Weight/flexibility ??? 

I've found that the FMF muffler offers better clearance there to the plastic due to the size.

Pack lighter on that side??

The stock, 17 RR-S number plate, does not have anything between it and the muffler other than a big curve and at least 1" of space between it and the muffler/exhaust can.  

The stock number plate seems strong, I could not get it to bend down enough to touch the muffler.  It could very well be that the weight, combined with the Polisport plastic that could possibly be weaker than the OEM Beta plastic, caused it to deform enough to make contact and melt.  

Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to mount the new plastic and exhaust and see how it goes.  Maybe it's the way the polisport edge hugs so close.  Not a bag weight overload problem,  because i always put the same stuff in that bag. Even when I had the stock fender.  I did notice Giant Loop makes a heat plate that goes between the fender and muffler.  30 bucks though, so I'll probably make my own.  Thanks again.