Just bought yz250

Hello everybody. Like the title says i just bought an 01 today. I'm a complete noob. It takes me about 10-15 kicks to get it going and it doesn't idle. It seems to run fine though. I feel like the old owner didn't take too much care of it. What do i need to do to get it running on the first couple kicks? 

As for routine maintenance what should i do to go through the bike and what small parts should i replace that probably need to be replace after buying from an owner who didn't do to much? 

I want to start learning the ins and outs instead of taking it to a shop but maybe i should take it to the shop so they can look at it for the first time?

Thanks for your help.

You need to swap out the Pilot jet as that's your starting jet. I don't know what your elevation is but I know there is a Excel Spreadsheet out there that tells you what to put your jetting at. Now what I highly suggest you do, I learned this from my dad who has been riding since the 70's. 1 go buy the manual, or download it and print it out keep it it's your new Dirt Bike Bible. 2 take her to the frame, you need to grease everything you can, all the bearings; wheels, suspension, steering stem. This will make sure your bearings aren't blown and you will need to do this yearly at minimum. Unless you go to the dunes then you'll need to do it more often. Get good oil in there, many people will tell you their favorite oils, just pick the one you love, just make sure it's not a full synthetic as the clutch will slip because it's too slippery. If you plan on doing trails then you'll need to swap out the springs, and replace all the fluids in the suspension. 3 get some armor! Again if you are going to trail ride get some armor on that bike because it'll save $$$ down the road. If you are only going to race it, I'd suggest doing a google search for a dirt bike or dirt rider article on their 250 and what they did to make it flat rip and some of the problems they ran into. 4 get a good raising stand and some torque wrench. Thats about it my friend. These are things I learned from my dad both from just listening to him and the things I screwed up on and wish I had learned from him. But happy riding stay safe! 

IMG_6701.jpg

• Like 1

Defiantly give us some pics! 

start with a manual 

-air filter

-clean the carb

-new transition oil

-check your wheel bearings so your tires don't fly off and get cut up like Heavy Rotation :banana:

How crisp does it run?

If you aren't sure about the history it may be smart to think about throwing a new piston in.

There could be a few reasons why it doesn't start easily. Here's some common ones:

-dirty air filter

-carb float level too low

-old gas

-pilot jet too small

-choke circuit not working

-low compression from worn piston /rings

-weak spark from fouled plug

-air leak from a seal or gasket

Welcome to the club! Buying an older bike that has been neglected can be a frustrating experience but as you get the issues sorted it is very gratifying.

Once everything is up to snuff on these bikes the maintenance needed is pretty simple (but vital). Get a manual, watch You Tube, search TT. You'll learn what you need and save a bunch of money over taking it to a shop. You'll also learn your bike better which makes it easier to diagnose future issues.

• Like 1