Jump to content

1997 YZ250 restoration/rescue

Recommended Posts

Brought home a '97 YZ250 I intend to race in the EVO class as a 50+ Novice next year.   Never turned a lap on a MX track before, but have been riding dirt/street for 39 years.   Ought to be interesting.   Progress is likely going to be slow as I have lots of irons in the fire.    

Here's a couple of pics of current condition:

20170812_115735.jpg

20170812_115743.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad looking steed. Little work, and she will be good as new.

On your PM:

Plastic shades did vary over the years. OEM tank gets graphics, and body panels??? Eh.... I would say Acirbis are closest to factory, unless others think different. I don't worry about it much to match with tank because of the graphics. Just pick a tasteful set and apply. 

Look forward to the build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks in nice shape :thumbsup: short stroke yz250 good low- midd power . Done few of them engines while ago . I believe could only get oem cranks for that year. You can get a spacer and run later model crank then it rips . Fast enough Ik just saying 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Looks in nice shape :thumbsup: short stroke yz250 good low- midd power . Done few of them engines while ago . I believe could only get oem cranks for that year. You can get a spacer and run later model crank then it rips . Fast enough Ik just saying 

Interesting. . . I'm certain the motor will be plenty enough for me for awhile.   Surprised a shorter stroke motor is known for more low/mid power than a long stroke motor.  Usually the other way around.   Thanks for the info though.  I have so much to learn about the various years and what is/isn't interchangeable/desirable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, quickshoe said:

Interesting. . . I'm certain the motor will be plenty enough for me for awhile.   Surprised a shorter stroke motor is known for more low/mid power than a long stroke motor.  Usually the other way around.   Thanks for the info though.  I have so much to learn about the various years and what is/isn't interchangeable/desirable.

Not much intercanges with that engine unfortunately I believe just 97-98. Called a box bore or something like that.  bore,stoke are the same. Wasn't a very fast bike compared to others.  But yes it's fast enough.  One I rode had good low midd power kinda flat up top .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Not much intercanges with that engine unfortunately I believe just 97-98. Called a box bore or something like that.  bore,stoke are the same. Wasn't a very fast bike compared to others.  But yes it's fast enough.  One I rode had good low midd power kinda flat up top .

I was concerned about the comments regarding the YZ lack of power during that era.   Especially after riding a CR around the block that was supposed to be wicked fast and it didn't feel too fast at all.   Sure, fast enough to get me in trouble on a track in a heartbeat, but not what I would consider scary or wicked.   I come from a background of road racing, some oval track and some rally, all on 4 wheels.   I believe it comes down to handling and driver/rider until the point where everybody is good and all the equipment is good.   Then the tiny things make a difference.  So, for a beginner I thought the YZ or the RM was the way to go with a bike from this era.  Then, I found a dyno sheet screen shot somebody posted here from all 250 mx'rs in 97 and it doesn't look like the YAMAHA was giving up much to anybody when you look at the power under the curve, especially when looking 3K to 7500rpms....where a slow old man will spend most of the time. ;)

s1200_20150714_025421.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anybody identify the seat and tank in the pics?   I would like to sell/trade for stock but can't advertise what I have if I don't know for certain what they are.  

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, quickshoe said:

Can anybody identify the seat and tank in the pics?

Seat appears to be stock. It's just bent up to match the bigger tank.

As far as I know, no aftermarket seats were made for those bikes -- foam was available, but not seats.

Good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

Tank looks like an IMS to me . 

Yep.  Confirmed.  Spoke with them a few minutes ago and gave them the stamped numbers.  It's their 3.6 Gallon tank for '96-'01.   PN 117316-B2.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, quickshoe said:

Brought home a '97 YZ250 I intend to race in the EVO class as a 50+ Novice next year.   Never turned a lap on a MX track before, but have been riding dirt/street for 39 years.   Ought to be interesting.   Progress is likely going to be slow as I have lots of irons in the fire.    

Here's a couple of pics of current condition:

20170812_115735.jpg

20170812_115743.jpg

 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:31 PM, Motox367 said:

Looks in nice shape :thumbsup: short stroke yz250 good low- midd power . Done few of them engines while ago . I believe could only get oem cranks for that year. You can get a spacer and run later model crank then it rips . Fast enough Ik just saying 

I would be very interested in what it takes to putting in a later crank into the older YZ's I have searched for info on that and have been unsuccessful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×