I'm a beginner. Just turned 41. I rode small bikes in my teenage years and haven't ridden since. I know the basics of riding. Now looking to buy a new street legal dirt bike to ride them few miles from my house to the trails. 

I'm in a dilemma which one to buy; 2018 KTM 250 EXC-F or 2018 Husqvarna FE 250. 

From your experience/knowledge: 

- What do you guys think which one would suit me better?
- Which one has better stock parts/components? 
- What is different between them? 
- Which one has better resell value? 
- 250 EXC-F has Brembo and FE 250 Magura components. Which are better?


When I search local (San Diego) ads for used bikes there are a lot of KTMs and not that many Huskys. I'm aware that they are both built buy KTM. 

Husky costs only $100 more. 

This review below compares 2017 model. But it doesn't help me much make the decision :)
http://www.dirtrider.com/ktm-250-exc-f-vs-husqvarna-fe-250-review

Your opinion is appreciated. 
THANK YOU!   :)

Maxwell

2018 Husqvarna FE250.png

2018 KTM 250 EXC-F.png

Husky looks better - KTM is bland and boring.

Mate of mine bought the 17 350 Husky - cause he was sick of seeing so much orange out there.

I like the KTM looks better. No huge white side panel to get scraped up and covered with black scratches. I like the PDS shock better. Linkages are good for tracks IMO. 

One says to use Bel Ray while the other says to use Motorex oil. :lol: Just use Rotella. 

IMO, don't fret over street legal. Buy off road version to save money. Buy this trailer from Costco to haul it with. 

https://www.costco.com/DK2-Mighty-Multi-Utility-Trailer-.product.100341985.html

The difference between those bikes are so small you'd likely not even notice as a beginner.  Don't sweat the small stuff (Brembo vs Magura).  The biggest difference between them is the rear suspension, but honestly as a beginner you won't be riding at a level that you'd even notice.  The KTM's PDS rear suspension is easier to maintain though which might be a consideration.  

I own a KTM 350 XCF-W and love it.  I'd be just as happy with a Husky as well.  KTM/Husky really does put a great package together.

Pick the one that increases your pulse when you look at it.

 

Doc

 

 

Edited by Doc_d
2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I like the KTM looks better. No huge white side panel to get scraped up and covered with black scratches. I like the PDS shock better. Linkages are good for tracks IMO. 

One says to use Bel Ray while the other says to use Motorex oil. :lol: Just use Rotella. 

IMO, don't fret over street legal. Buy off road version to save money. Buy this trailer from Costco to haul it with. 

https://www.costco.com/DK2-Mighty-Multi-Utility-Trailer-.product.100341985.html

Thank you so much for your input. Very good point regarding scrapes on white panels. Have not thought of that and haven't read it anywhere. I'm leaning towards PDS :)

I was thinking to buy a trailer but I don't have space for it. So for now a street legal dirt bike seems a better option. What do you think about resell value between those two and which one would be easier to sell in 2-3 from now? THANK YOU!!!

 

17 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

The difference between those bikes are so small you'd likely not even notice as a beginner.  Don't sweat the small stuff (Brembo vs Magura).  The biggest difference between them is the rear suspension, but honestly as a beginner you won't be riding at a level that you'd even notice.  The KTM's PDS rear suspension is easier to maintain though which might be a consideration.  

I own a KTM 350 XCF-W and love it.  I'd be just as happy with a Husky as well.  KTM/Husky really does put a great package together.

Pick the one that increases your pulse when you look at it.

 

Doc

 

 

I bet I would not notice a difference between them :) PDS being easier to maintain is a plus. What do you think about resell value between those two and which one would be easier to sell in 2-3 from now? Thank you so much for your input. It definitely will help me make the decision. THANK YOUY!!!

9 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Husky looks better - KTM is bland and boring.

Mate of mine bought the 17 350 Husky - cause he was sick of seeing so much orange out there.

Thank you for your input. 

29 minutes ago, Maxwell- said:

Thank you so much for your input. Very good point regarding scrapes on white panels. Have not thought of that and haven't read it anywhere. I'm leaning towards PDS :)

I was thinking to buy a trailer but I don't have space for it. So for now a street legal dirt bike seems a better option. What do you think about resell value between those two and which one would be easier to sell in 2-3 from now? THANK YOU!!!

 

Probably the KTM. Many still don't know that KTM has been making Husqvarna motorcycles since 2014....

21 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Probably the KTM. Many still don't know that KTM has been making Husqvarna motorcycles since 2014....

That makes sense. Thank you!!!

I like the KTM looks better.
One says to use Bel Ray while the other says to use Motorex oil. Just use Rotella. 




I highly spending the extra money on a fully synthetic oil as ktm uses a wet clutch. Rotella will work but you might experience clutch slippage or clutch not engaging properly or even false neutral. I ran Rotella on my 15 250sxf and has clutch slippage. I recently bought a 17 ktm250sxf and now I use Maxima pro plus fully synthetic 10w50 and it's working amazing. Imo it's worth the extra money for a higher quality oil. Especially if your going to buy a new 17 model no point in going cheap on one of the most important thing on your bike to keep it working well.


O

Sent from my SM-G930T using ThumperTalk mobile app

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now