Budget high displacement dual sports?

So I've been riding a crf230f road legal conversion done, but I need something a little more powerful, and able to ride longer distances on asphalt to get to a trail. 

I want something light weight and reliable, but also road worthy and inexpensive. 

Narrowed down to: 

Suzuki Drz400

BMW G650X challenge 

Dr650 (although too heavy) 

Xr650l (heard it lacks bottom end)

Ktm, Husqvarna, ccm, husaberg etc are out of bounds (due to price or maintenance issues.)

Note: buying second hand 

All those are heavy bikes

DRZ - 145kg

BMW - 145kg

DR - 165kg

XR - 155kg

Why not the CRF450X - 122kg

The crf450x is not stock road worthy, sadly. And road South Africa has strict road regulations that make it hard to road worthy dirt bikes and get license papers for them 

I ride a 2000 KTM 125 2 stroke street legal. It will out run the CRF230F and weighs less than 100 Kg empty of fuel. 

25464_371305075802_2896505_n.jpg?oh=f85c

define longer distances ?

I don't doubt that, but I need a 4 stroke that is STOCK legal. If it was stock legal I'd jump on it haha

100-150km max, most of the trails are that far away, gas stations everywhere so extended tank isn't needed. I just don't want to screw up my 230 on that long of a distance going 100+kph

Of the ones you listed, DRZ400 is a pretty good option and there is a ton of aftermarket stuff.  You said large displacement, but the Yamaha WR250R is probably worth looking at as well.

Doc

DRZ

Decision made, drz400 it is 

I just picked one up a few weeks ago.  It's a pretty fun bike.  I have a KTM 350 XCF-W that's light years better in every measurable way in the dirt,. But the DRZ is fun because it's a bulletproof tank that requires little maintenance, can be ridden on the road and really has enough capability to ride almost anything albeit at a slower pace.

I've been riding mine bone stock but it really does need some different tires if you are going to offroad it on any single track trails.  The 3x3 mod, jet kit and a freer flowing exhaust supposedly make a world of difference as well, so those are also on my short list.

Good luck.  Let us know how you like it when you get it.

Doc

I plan to do 3x3 and jetting, but a lot of the second hand drz400s here have loads of mods done to it already, just a matter of making sure they're running good :)

Thanks for the help guys 

I plan to do 3x3 and jetting, but a lot of the second hand drz400s here have loads of mods done to it already, just a matter of making sure they're running good
Thanks for the help guys 

I spent a year shopping Craigslist and found an amazing bike, be patient! Find a clean one that's already modded out. 20170701_130849.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 hour ago, HeavyRotation said:

I spent a year shopping Craigslist and found an amazing bike, be patient! Find a clean one that's already modded out. 20170701_130849.jpg

Nice looking DRZ.  What tires are you running?  How are they on pavements?  Is your tail light the red version or the smoked version?  I like the smoked one but I'm worried if it's any dimmer than the standard red version.

Doc

Running a Dunlop MX52 front and Kenda trackmaster on the rear. Smoked led tail light, always covered in dirt so not sure it matters, but the clear ones are definitely brighter I think. The tires are fine on road, even in wet. There is no such thing as a tire that won't be fine on pavement if you either ride moderately or are a talented pavement rider. I run down sporty bikes all the time on those shitty knobs lol.

On 8/13/2017 at 7:32 AM, zachariah655 said:

I want something light weight and reliable, but also road worthy and inexpensive. 

Don't we all want this! ;)

You'll do well with the DRZ400.  I wish I never sold mine. Lots of aftermarket and owner forum support.