Missing Thermostat Cover Seal, substitute?

Just returned back to Senegal with my newly conditioned head, assembling and realize I don't have a thermostat cover seal. Was it on the head when I sent it Fastheads? I don't remember. But when I look at the surface of the cover there is remnants of blue silicone. Is it possible the previous owners just used silicone?

But anyway, I came back with a "complete" gasket kit and it doesn't look like anything that would be it. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

It was months ago when I dis-assembled it and I don't remember what or if anything was there. Is it an o-ring (probably not though, to hot)? Can I just use silicone? Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Thanks.

cover.JPG

Edited by segge

Just an o-ring on mine. Should be available at napa or similar.

Been looking at full rebuild kits, and they don't include the water pump gasket

If it is like a car seal that goes in the same part, it is usually a large chunk of rubber. It actually as 4 sides to the circle, as oppossed to being like a typical o ring. The rubber is like 3/16" thick

34 minutes ago, 74jimbo said:

If it is like a car seal that goes in the same part, it is usually a large chunk of rubber. It actually as 4 sides to the circle, as oppossed to being like a typical o ring. The rubber is like 3/16" thick

Just from the shape of it, I kind of agree. But I really, really, really want it to be an o-ring so I can by one locally in Dakar and close the engine! Anyone else?

You can make a gasket to fit the housing. It doesn't have to be an oring'. The recess is made to accept a thermostat. The thermostat is rubber edged. So using a rubber ring is a simple OEM solution. But for you, where parts are hard to get, I'd simply get a sheet of thin cork gasket material and cut it out to fit the water neck. It will be very hard to find a thick enough oring.

s-l300.jpg

Isn't the o-ring in the groove on the back of the water neck?

The thermostat housing seal is a formed rubber seal that fits around the thermostat. It seals both the thermostat and the housing.  If you do not use a thermostat then the rubber seal fits  around a blank plate with a large hole in it that replaces the thermostat.  The seal will not do you any good without the thermostat or the blank plate.  If you have neither item, then yes you can seal the housing to the head with just RTV between the 2 parts.