Yellow Hill Fire

Rode yellow hill yesterday. We planned to go up yellow hill and down middle fork but got turned around by a pretty good sized forest fire up near the top of jolly. The forest service ended up shutting the trails down yesterday afternoon and they expect the fire to get pretty big.

IMG_8180.JPGIMG_8179.JPGIMG_8178.JPG

I could see the smoke from this fire yesterday from Gifford. Hopefully they can get this knocked down quickly, doesn't look too big yet.

Decent amount of rain here in the Tacoma area last night. Hoping that helped in some places. Did the Cascades and Olympics get much rain last night?

What's up, Dave.  Good looking 300!

Should clear out the underbrush--mother nature cleaning house.  Depending on how long this one goes, I might have to wait until next year to go up there with Ben and you.

Yeah sasse mtn trail was blocked today with fire signs. Ended up doing ds ride only.

I picked a good week for camping in Teanaway. Front row seats plus dont have to respond to fire for DNR

• Like 1

Only .10 of an inch of rain on the fire last night. Fire is increasing in size and zero percent contained. Trail closures as follows:

Closure: A number of trails are signed closed due to fire activity, in the Teanaway drainage these include; Boulder Deroux (#1392), Johnson Medra (#1383), Way Creek (#1235), Jungle Creek (#1383.1), West Fork (#1353), Middle Fork (#1393) and Yellow Hill (#1222). In the Cle Elum Valley they are: Corral Creek (#1340.1), Sasse Mtn. (#1340), Howson Creek (#1349), Jolly Mtn. (#1307, access from Cayuse CG), Paris Creek (#1393) and Boulder Creek (#1392).

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

This is how they will keep motorized recreation out of Teanaway. Cry erosion concerns and thats all she wrote. At least they dont have funds for law enforcement so we can ignore their BS

• Like 3

Federal funds frequently rebuild trails better than they were after a fire. It might be a good time to rebuild the Skookum Mine Trail that's been overgrown and abandoned for decades.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taneum jct said:

This is how they will keep motorized recreation out of Teanaway. Cry erosion concerns and thats all she wrote. At least they dont have funds for law enforcement so we can ignore their BS

i am no expert but i have noticed that motorized trails have been used as firebreaks. maybe one small positive.

i am no expert but i have noticed that motorized trails have been used as firebreaks. maybe one small positive.

These trails are 1' wide, and will not be providing any firebreaks. It sucks that it has gotten so big now and is threatening homes/cabins. Tough fire to fight given the steep terrain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Was this what I could see burning yesterday above cle elum? Appeared to be two good sized fires. 

Yes, it is. There were over a dozen separate fires last week. IDK, the number now but the Jolly Mtn. fire is almost 5000 acres and 0% contained as of this afternoon. Not good.

• Like 2

Moto trails look identical to a wide firefighting handline, so they serve as firebreaks for the numerous more mild areas of a fire. More moto trails near houses = faster containment!

These trails are 1' wide, and will not be providing any firebreaks. It sucks that it has gotten so big now and is threatening homes/cabins. Tough fire to fight given the steep terrain.