ECU setting ( share your settings ) 2

This topic is for discussion ECU mappings on CRF 250/450 R & RX motorcycles.

A few rules to keep the peace before we begin.

1. Be cool to each other

2. Don't try to sell products or services 

3. If you are not happy with a product please start a new topic to discuss that.

Our first thread was locked because all three of these things were happening which is a direct violation of the TT rules.

@Shawn_Mc Please add, edit or delete anything that will risk us having to start over again. I appreciate your efforts in trying to keep the last one intact but unfortunately it was too far gone.

That said members are getting good results adjusting the mappings on their bikes. The idea is to share mappings with each other and review our results. We also hope to gain a better understanding of what these changes do so we can fine tune our machines to our individual riding styles.

Shawn has offered to clip the useful information from the old thread and post it here so we aren't starting from scratch.

Thats it lets stick to mappings guys!!! 

Please make sure to include a description of your mapping including the year and model and description of map

This is the ignition mapping I am currently running it's been great in the woods.

2017 CRF450RX ignition mapping in mode 2. I kept the FIMAP that was in mode 2 stock. 

strokerCRF450map.JPG.cea317f573f898cb6a88ba898548376e.JPG

Edited by Floyd A
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Foul said:

Anybody interested in loading a woods map on my RX?

Where are you located? I'm in Houston and I would totally hook anyone up by me that wants to try one of the maps. If you have the HCR software I can email you the map file it's simple to load. 

Edited by Floyd A

Guys, below my Mode 3 Map............for a CRF 450R 2017, yosh full exhaust and twinair powerflow filter cage.

Map Works great, its aggressive but easy to control...............I started from a bought map (and american Company dedicated to ECUs, maps and motor mods).............then I changed a bit the fuel (a bit more fuel from the original map).             Ignition map looks very similar to OEM MAP 3.

Try this map and give me you feedback...........I hope this help!!

59910087e5bb1_MAP3.PNG.9a340dbd16e8bbaf88180ba6c9bc9243.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clutch killer said:

Guys, below my Mode 3 Map............for a CRF 450R 2017, yosh full exhaust and twinair powerflow filter cage.

Map Works great, its aggressive but easy to control...............I started from a bought map (and american Company dedicated to ECUs, maps and motor mods).............then I changed a bit the fuel (a bit more fuel from the original map).             Ignition map looks very similar to OEM MAP 3.

Try this map and give me you feedback...........I hope this help!!

59910087e5bb1_MAP3.PNG.9a340dbd16e8bbaf88180ba6c9bc9243.PNG

Are you running an AFR meter (O2 sensor)?

8 hours ago, georgee said:

Did you try that map for an r I sent you yet

I have it loaded on the bike, but due to a monsoon last week, tracks were closed this weekend. I will try it next weekend if the weather cooperates this week.

• Like 1

Shawn, I need your advice here.

In a few week I will install a wiseco racer elite piston (14:1, OEM 13,5:1 ) in my CRF 450 R 2017...........my question is, Do I need to change timing or fuel in order to run this piston??..........Please let me know the correct way to manage the higher compression level.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Edited by Clutch killer
orthography

Wanted: I'm looking for a map for my 2017 CRF450R that basically makes the change they say they did to the 2018. I want the tip-in of the throttle to be just a bit less abrupt for taking hair-pin rutted turns. Everywhere else I want it to hit relatively hard like it currently does (map 1). I have a Yoshi exhaust if it matters. Prefer to stay with pump gas for the convenience.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN

6 hours ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

Wanted: I'm looking for a map for my 2017 CRF450R that basically makes the change they say they did to the 2018. I want the tip-in of the throttle to be just a bit less abrupt for taking hair-pin rutted turns. Everywhere else I want it to hit relatively hard like it currently does (map 1). I have a Yoshi exhaust if it matters. Prefer to stay with pump gas for the convenience.

The mapping is going to take tinkering to figure out because we cannot see map 1 and 2 & 3 are based off of 1. If you just have the issue with off the throttle it might be quicker to try the G2 or Rev 2. You should try the mapping @Clutch killer posted above seems like it might be close to what you want.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clutch killer said:

Shawn, I need your advice here.

In a few week I will install a wiseco racer elite piston (14:1, OEM 13,5:1 ) in my CRF 450 R 2017...........my question is, Do I need to change timing or fuel in order to run this piston??..........Please let me know the correct way to manage the higher compression level.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Man, I was just thinking Id like to see the plug in your bike. Bumping the CR to 14:1 You'd need a tad more fuel, but what kind of fuel is going to determine what you can do with the timing. At 14:1, you need to start paying attention to detonation. And we don't have knock sensors...so it's gotta be bad enough to hear. Which is scary. If you're planning on running something in the 98-100 octane range, the tune you have will probably be a decent place to start. But dialing that timing in with a tall piston on pump gas can get kinda dicey. With detonation, you've got two options to cure the banging. Take out the timing, or throw fuel at it, both of which soften the power. I've found that if your gasoline selection is crappy (limited to pump) you're better off with lower compression and more timing than vice versa.

With all that said, the combustion chamber in the CRF is pretty damn good and lets you get away with 13.5:1 on 93 octane ( a fantasy not to many years ago). My advice would be to take 2-3 degrees of timing out and ride it, check the plug etc and go from there. A good plug that's WFO will look like it just came out of the box, on good fuel. On pump gas, it'll be grayish on the ground wire (but the plating will still be intact) and porcelain but the shell will probably be sooty. A great tuning tip is to look at the bottom of the piston dome. If its black and charred, its too hot, probably detonating. But if its dark coco brown, its pretty damn good. The hardest part is reading the plug in an ON/OFF the throttle scenario. the accelerator pump feature of the EFI tends to be pretty rich and burning that off to get good color can be tough on MX tracks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clutch killer said:

Shawn, thank you very much for your reply.

I wil lbe mixing pump gas (91 R+M/2 Octane) with some Sunoco 116 octanes.

Ya, you oughta be fine then. Start with the map you got and check the plug. Most good fuels are lighter than pump gas so they run richer right out of the can. Pulling a couple degrees of timing would act like its richer too.