What newer forks will fit a 2006 WR250F?

Hi folks,

I searched but did not find information specific to my question: 

I would like to install YZ forks on my 2006 WR250F and would like to know what years and models of forks would bolt into the stock triple clamps. From what I have learned, I think it would be the 06-07 YZ250F, but will the YZ450F forks fit as well, and if so, what years?  

I had my stock suspension set up for my weight and riding style in 2012, with no aftermarket valving, and am really tired of the bike's tendency to wash out in sand or soft soil, swap ends in mud, skitter the front end sideways on gravely hardpack roads to the point that I have to slow down to first gear to keep the bike from going off the road, etcetera. Ironically, I can easily bottom the forks on jumps despite the initial fork stroke harshness. I ride desert and mountains, so these aren't tabletop jumps I am talking about;-)

I rode an 07 WR450F and the difference between the front end behavior was night and day: the front end would not wash out and I didn't feel every tiny rock with corresponding sideways bouncing.  The tire was planted in the turns and it required much less energy to ride long distance and eliminated the transfer of energy into my hands from every tiny bump.

I have the bike sag set and the springs tuned to my weight front and rear, and run12-15 # in the tires. 

I know I can modify the WR forks further, but for the cash and the age of the bike I thought that putting a set of rebuilt and tuned YZ forks/shock might be a great way to go.

Any information regarding which years and models forks will bolt in is appreciated!

Thanks,

James 

Edited by Yeravener

Another option if you can find some, is to put YZF base valves into the forks. 

Your issue is the WRF forks have a poppet valve on the base valve which sacks out pretty much straight away. The forks become incredibly soft and blow through the stroke. 

I put some 04 YZF base valves (didn't touch the stock valving) into my old 06 WR250F and they became almost as good as my 08 YZF forks. 

Otherwise your options are 06-07 YZ250F or YZ450F forks, or 08-09 which you will need the axle spacers and brake caliper bracket from as well. 

6 hours ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

Another option if you can find some, is to put YZF base valves into the forks. 

Your issue is the WRF forks have a poppet valve on the base valve which sacks out pretty much straight away. The forks become incredibly soft and blow through the stroke. 

I put some 04 YZF base valves (didn't touch the stock valving) into my old 06 WR250F and they became almost as good as my 08 YZF forks. 

Otherwise your options are 06-07 YZ250F or YZ450F forks, or 08-09 which you will need the axle spacers and brake caliper bracket from as well. 

Vintage: Thanks for the quick reply and fork info! I'll check into the YZF base valves too...it would be great to get improved performance with that simple change.

James

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 8:39 AM, BazookaJoe said:

I'm assuming you have the stock parts in your bike?

Check out Smart Performance Phase 4 WR kit.  I had that kit in my 07 WR250F and it worked very well.

Here's a link to their web page.  The page looks a bit stale, but I think they're still selling the parts.

http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/PRODUCTS.html

Thanks, BazookaJoe, I'll check it out!

James