Jump to content

FCR cable on S Model?

Recommended Posts

Help!

The throttle cable on my S model equipped with a FCR has failed and I recall using the stock BSR cable when I installed the FCR and not being too happy with the extra and unnecessary bends at the carb end. So, my question for the astute is whether I can use a 2003 E model throttle cable set with the combo I have? I might add some form of modest bar riser in the future and would not like to give up any length.

Appreciate some assistance so I don't go off installing the wrong set of cables

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the MX. I used the original S cables when I installed the MX but really didn't like the extra/unnecessary bend. I think the cable has has a few broken strands and is now forcing the liner to move along with the cable, causing plenty of inconsistent drag. The opposing cable has lost a few strands also, so time to replace.

Another issue is the a/p seems to be a little weak in the shot, bike has a slight hesitation I'd really like to eliminate when trying to lift the front with a snap of the throttle. Runs good elsewhere, just hesitates with quick opening. Any ideas(i have safety wired the lever already, need to find an adjustment that works)

Just want to get what works best, cable and a/p!

Thanks!

Edited by shuswap1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shuswap1 said:

Help!

The throttle cable on my S model equipped with a FCR has failed and I recall using the stock BSR cable when I installed the FCR and not being too happy with the extra and unnecessary bends at the carb end. So, my question for the astute is whether I can use a 2003 E model throttle cable set with the combo I have? I might add some form of modest bar riser in the future and would not like to give up any length.

Appreciate some assistance so I don't go off installing the wrong set of cables

Thanks!

I'm willing to bet you can, and I think it's a great idea. I too find the extra bend to be a bother. :smirk:

 

Maybe adjust the dead band on the AP?

Edited by Bermudacat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking the FCR model cables would work quite nicely, seem to line up better with the carb's cable wheel. I doubt I could re-install the BSR afterwards with these cables, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not great!  The Motion Pro FCR(E) model cables I ordered aren't working....or I can't get them to work anyway. Seems the pull side of the system doesn't have enough reach around the wheel far enough to attach and then open the carb valve fully....or even close to full.

 

Seeking an answer to this issue, suggestions more than welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not near the bike at the moment, it's 250 miles away waiting for me to arrive tomorrow with cables that FIT!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought new early E model cables when I put the fcr in mine , they worked fine , however I believe it was new MP cables I got for my KLX650 ,using a drz throttle housing when installing the fcr in that one and had the same too short cable issue as posted above . Remind me I was going to order a new return cable only 3/8's long cable.

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

I bought new early E model cables when I put the fcr in mine , they worked fine , however I believe it was new MP cables I got for my KLX650 ,using a drz throttle housing when installing the fcr in that one and had the same too short cable issue as posted above . Remind me I was going to order a new return cable only 3/8's long cable.

Can you clarify? Did the oem cables fit fine on an FCR fitted S model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Motion Pro pull cable is close to 1" shorter than the stock S cable that I was using for the last 2 years with the FCR. Tried again today and can't see any way to make this work. The odd thing is that M Pro says this will work with the FCR/DRZ....so now trying to locate a set of OEM E model cables asap.

IMG_2360.jpg

This pic shows the different cable lengths with the stock S cable and the Motion Pro E cable. Pic doesn't really illustrate the extent of the differenceIMG_2367.jpg

Edited by shuswap1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rhinoracer said:

Can you clarify? Did the oem cables fit fine on an FCR fitted S model?

The oem S cables I had fit the FCR when I installed the fcr on the DRZ , but when I bought a new set of Motion Pro cabels for my KLX650 (which I used a DRZ throttle thus the need for DRZ cables) , the return cable is too short , as shuswap1 has posted above . I got mine to work by the nuts being inside and the adjuster being as short as possible but it's right at the point that it is the idle speed , I need to buy a new set only have MP make the inner cable longer. I got mine off an Ebay seller , probably the issue , next time will be directly through Motion Pro .

 

.

Edited by jjktmrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to confirm which of these OEM part numbers for the 2003 S model work with an installed FCR MX carb.

58301-29F01    and/ or

58301-29F10

For some reason (very short inner cable) I cannot fit a Motion Pro part # 04-0196

Riding season is pretty short here this year and the forest fire restrictions will soon be rescinded, so looking to get the old girl out spittin' gravel asap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×