Fork seal bad?

I let my son take his moms bike (06 crf 230f) up to the mountains with friends last week.  I showed him and his friends how to tie it down and instructed them NOT to compress the front shocks too much.  Well he comes back with oil all over the shocks and nothing but spring in the front.  I can see by where the dirt is on the shiny part of the forks that they cranked them down about two inches from the triple clamp.  

I'm wondering if this destroyed the fork seals or if that constant pressure just forced the oil past the seal.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Strapping a bike down doesn't 'blow' seals. If a seal leaks when strapped down, there was a preexisting issue.

I'm guessing there's some dirt trapped in the seal (maybe from his ride) and strapping it down allowed the fluid by.

nothing but spring in the front.  

I doubt that. It would have to be pouring out (literally) and not just dripping to lose so much fluid the valving wasn't in any of it. Even the hugest looking mess is typically barely a few tea or tablespoons worth of oil.

Goatse, 

Thank you for the info.  My son will be thrilled that he doesn't have to pay for it.  Me, not so much, lol.