Do you shift in the fly?

There's this track that I've been riding where it's got a turn before a 15ft drop with a run up of just 15 meters approaching the face. Everytime i go in, i wring the throttle full to clear the drop in 3rd, but kinda short on speed already when I land. I typically coast after landing before reaching another LH turn then shifting to 4th. I've noticed that using 3rd gear still after landing would somehow send me over the bars.

I've never done it, but is it possible to shift in the air from 3rd to 4th to maximize speed when I land and not coast? Kinda scary to not be on the pegs when I land.

Yes :thumbsup: no clutch needed . I upshift and downshift in air depends on what's after

Got it..

yeah just click it real quick.  When you start riding and jumping more, having your feet come off the pegs is kinda common.  It doesnt really phase me anymore, although its not like im doing a nac nac either

I shift in the air all the time. I do use the side of my boot to up shift instead of having to stick my toe all the way under the shifter. No need to use the clutch either. You can down shift in the air too

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

3 hours ago, ka24s14am said:

I shift in the air all the time. I do use the side of my boot to up shift instead of having to stick my toe all the way under the shifter. No need to use the clutch either. You can down shift in the air too

How would I practice this one out without risking too much?  This could quash my balls should I fail to place my foot on the pegs properly. lol. Would A table top cut it? 

I don't know how to explain exactly how I do it. I just push the side of my boot into the tip of the shifter pull up a little. I wouldn't worry about trying that first. How I started practicing shifting in the air is find a pretty safe table, 30ft will do. As I was going off the face of the jump I would go ahead and start putting my toe under the shifter. Once I went into the air and the suspension unloads the momentum of my body going up was all it would take to get that pull to hit the next gear. I wouldn't try it on that jump you described first until you felt pretty comfortable. Sounds like you are close to the top of third. Be careful not to shift on the face of the jump. That would really hurt. Just practice it. I also like to release my hands and let my whole body relax in the air to. Helps with stamina and movement on the bike. I hope this helps

How would I practice this one out without risking too much?  This could quash my balls should I fail to place my foot on the pegs properly. lol. Would A table top cut it? 

Practice on your stand in your garage. Just pretend your jumping and go through the motions like you're really doing it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using ThumperTalk mobile app

If this is the only spot on the track you could also regear so that 3rd runs out a bit farther.  drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket.  I am having a hard time picturing the jump/drop but can you shift to 4th before?  is there enough to over jump the drop in 4th and be fine?  Are you jumping to flat?

Just remember that these things affect the gyro of the bike in the air.  I don't suggest you go playing around with this until you are comfortable in the air.  Practice on the stand shifting but ideally find a jump you are really comfortable with and just practice being loose on the bike in the air.  If you are tight and not comfortable in the air you should work on that first.

2 hours ago, shift1313 said:

If this is the only spot on the track you could also regear so that 3rd runs out a bit farther.  drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket.  I am having a hard time picturing the jump/drop but can you shift to 4th before?  is there enough to over jump the drop in 4th and be fine?  Are you jumping to flat?

Just remember that these things affect the gyro of the bike in the air.  I don't suggest you go playing around with this until you are comfortable in the air.  Practice on the stand shifting but ideally find a jump you are really comfortable with and just practice being loose on the bike in the air.  If you are tight and not comfortable in the air you should work on that first.

Was thinking of the same with dropping a tooth on the rear. but the jump leading to it is an long straight uphill climb, and the rest being twisty, changing sprocket is kinda out, but will give it a shot . I run 13/50. I'll be practice shifting in the air as most pros suggested so.  For your appreciation, green dots are uphill climbs while the red line is my area of concern.lol. For scale purposes, shed on upper left is at aprox 3x5m. happy riding.

Screenshot_20170908-065025_1_1.thumb.jpg.974f98b2ef574f8d27a260139337447d.jpg