Maintenance, New TTR230

Hey there. SO i just bought my first dirtbike(i had a quad before) and I had done a lot of research. Some articles contradict them selves, so i was wondering what is the typical maintenance of this vehicle. Also are there any things i should do before i ride, because i just bought it from the dealer. I've heard you got to grease the bearing and all that jazz. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Farmboi

Before your ride always make sure your chain is tight and lubed up make sure it's got plenty of oil and make sure you change your oil I like valvoline motorcycle oil 10w-40. Make sure your air filter is lubed and cleaned. Another thing I do before I ride is go around the bike and make sure everything is tightened and lubed.

• Like 1

TTR230....just bought from a dealer? Go ride it! Then after a few rides check the air filter/oil level and keep riding. Those things are bulletproof tanks. Look thru the owners manual at the periodic maintenance schedule and follow it.

• Like 1

From doing the first oil change on my neighbor's brand new '16 TTR230,

I'd suggest replacing the oil and filter not much later than the first hour of riding.

The metal 'break in' particles found in his oil filter housing was considerable,

also the stock filter was a very basic mesh design with questionable filtering capabilities,

the genuine replacement filter was a true paper cartridge.

Search past threads on this sub-forum as inspecting the new filter

for proper oil feed holes (2 versus 4) was also discussed a while back.

If by chance your TTR is a brand new / leftover 2014? or 2015? model, 

there was a recall for an improperly drilled crank case vent hole in the airbox.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mlatour said:

From doing the first oil change on my neighbor's brand new '16 TTR230,

I'd suggest replacing the oil and filter not much later than the first hour of riding.

The metal 'break in' particles found in his oil filter housing was considerable,

also the stock filter was a very basic mesh design with questionable filtering capabilities,

the genuine replacement filter was a true paper cartridge.

Search past threads on this sub-forum as inspecting the new filter

for proper oil feed holes (2 versus 4) was also discussed a while back.

If by chance your TTR is a brand new / leftover 2014? or 2015? model, 

there was a recall for an improperly drilled crank case vent hole in the airbox.

Thanks, and nope its a 2017 model 

1 hour ago, dirt bike rider78 said:

Before your ride always make sure your chain is tight and lubed up make sure it's got plenty of oil and make sure you change your oil I like valvoline motorcycle oil 10w-40. Make sure your air filter is lubed and cleaned. Another thing I do before I ride is go around the bike and make sure everything is tightened and lubed.

you got any suggested air filter oil or just any will work fine?

That is a terrific bike. More competent than you might think.

I would change the oil after 5 minutes. It takes just a second, and washes out the floaties that are always present during engine assembly. Then, go ride it. Nothing to obsess over. After 50 hours, if you want to grease the steering stem or swingarm, that will satisfy the urge to fiddle.

• Like 1