Basic powervalve question

In my other thread im discussing gaining more top end on my 2007 200xcw. Thisgot me to thinking of the PV. Can i adjust both when it opens and how far it opens? Is that how it works? If i am unable to make it open further, then i can not gain more top, i can only retard or advance the hit, correct? 

Thanks!

Preload (brass dolly on outside of case) determines what rpm the PV opens

Auxilary spring (Green, Yellow, Red) determine how fast the PV goes from opening to fully open.

If you do a search you see a graph that shows different settings and how they interact with each other.  I believe it was James Dean that posted the graph

Thanks guys. So the engine rpm when the PV starts to open can be adjusted, and the quickness which it opens can be adjusted also, just not on my bike, is this what you are saying? If true then we are still unable to make it open ultimately further though, correct? I like where my bike hits ( it's the most 'ridable' power band ever) so I'm not sure if playing with the PV will give me what I want. But, I never know till I try, and it seems simple enough. Zuke, when you turned that bolt, are you altering the preload on the PV governor spring?

Thanks again guys

Idk if preload is the word for it, your not adding tension on the spring at the resting position.

When the bike revs up the spring gets compressed, raising the PV arm. What you are adjusting is the position that the PV arm is starting at. 

This WILL give you more top end. The stock set up on these bikes is to be torquey and easy to ride.

Ill be damned. I turned the PV nut in till it seated, then backed it out 1/4 turn ( thanks zuke) and now the front wheel is clawing for thr sky at the rpm it used to sign off. I will wait till a good shakedown ride before playing with the timing but im pretty happy. I guess ill have to wait till my first piston swap befire i have a look at the PV design but i like how tunable it is.

Thanks!