What pipe and silencer should I buy for my 2005 CR250?

I have a 2005 CR250 and I want to get a new pipe and silencer and I'm deciding between an FMF pipe and silencer combo or Procircuit Platinum pipe and silencer combo,don't know what combo to go with.I don't race but I do occasionally go to a practice track and I also trail ride.Can anyone offer their opinion as to which of the two I should go with and why.Thanx!

really liked the stock pipe on my 07! Managed to keep it in one piece for 7 years till I flatten it.Bought FMF fatty and powercore 11.Couldn't be happier with this combo.It pretty much is the same as stock with maybe alittle more everywhere and alittle smoother.

• Like 1

That sounds like a good combo,I always liked FMF,never heard anything about Procircuit or knew anyone that had them until recently found out from a friend that he ran Procircuit on his CR's. But I'm gona do some research on prices for the FMF fatty and powercore,is there any specific model for the powercore or do they only make 1 model of the powercore? Thanx by the way for your advice,I appreciate it!

8 hours ago, Chris Carey said:

That sounds like a good combo,I always liked FMF,never heard anything about Procircuit or knew anyone that had them until recently found out from a friend that he ran Procircuit on his CR's. But I'm gona do some research on prices for the FMF fatty and powercore,is there any specific model for the powercore or do they only make 1 model of the powercore? Thanx by the way for your advice,I appreciate it!

For the silencer I meant FMF Turbinecore 2 not powercore

I have a 2005 CR250 and I want to get a new pipe and silencer and I'm deciding between an FMF pipe and silencer combo or Procircuit Platinum pipe and silencer combo,don't know what combo to go with.I don't race but I do occasionally go to a practice track and I also trail ride.Can anyone offer their opinion as to which of the two I should go with and why.Thanx!

Go with a fmf gnarly pipe with a pro circuit r304 great set up

Sent from my SM-G930T using ThumperTalk mobile app

FMF Headers
The FMF Gnarly pipe is going to give you more bottom end power with a touch more mid range power but take power away from the top & give you a deeper throatyer sound. The FMF Fatty is going to increase the whole power range (power band) of your bike & give you a higher pitched sound while picking up on the rpm's faster. The FMF SSR pipe will give you a lot of top end power (more rpm's) but take a lot away from the rest of the power band.
FMF Silencers
The FMF powercore2 is going to give you more all around useable power without spooging all over your #plate/plastics. The FMF shorty is going to give you more power throughout the power band as well with a little extra at the top but is very short so it spooges (spits carbon & oil) all over the inside of your plastics & on your swing arm. The FMF spark arrester is going to just allow your bike to be National Forrest Approved & gives the bike very little all around power if combined with the Gnarly. The turbinecore increases the bottom to mid range power.

Pro-Circuit Headers
Pro-Circuit only offers 2 different headers that perform the same just look different for the 2 stroke. The platinum is a chromed pipe thats equivalent to FMF's fatty & the works pipe is a factory works look that performs the same.
Pro-Circuit Silencers
There's only 2 silencers as well. The 304 & r-304 that are the equivalent to FMF's powercore2 & shorty.
For your said riding preferenceses, I would recommend the FMF fatty with the powercore2 silencer. It's the best all around riding style setup you can have for a 2-stroke & therefore is the most popular for this reason. It's about $280 for the header (the fatty) & $100 for the muffler (the silencer). I also mostly ride trails these days & ride a track from time to time just to stay sharp. I recommend you change your jetting & install a set of V-FORCE3 or Boyeson reeds & reed cage with whatever combination you choose20170514_015734.jpg. FB_IMG_1496015125686.jpgFB_IMG_1496015485835.jpgFB_IMG_1496015176994.jpg20170407_212929.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360P using ThumperTalk mobile app

Thanx Doug for your advice,I was leaning towards FMF but wasn't 100% sure but now that I read your post going with FMF is the smart choice.I appreciate you going into detail about what each brand has to offer and what each type can do for my bike.I'm definitely gona go with the FMF FATTY and POWERCORE 2 SILENCER.Thanx for the helpful advice dude,much appreciated! O by the way,,your bike looks badass,I really like it,what year is it?

• Like 1

Thanx Doug for your advice,I was leaning towards FMF but wasn't 100% sure but now that I read your post going with FMF is the smart choice.I appreciate you going into detail about what each brand has to offer and what each type can do for my bike.I'm definitely gona go with the FMF FATTY and POWERCORE 2 SILENCER.Thanx for the helpful advice dude,much appreciated! O by the way,,your bike looks badass,I really like it,what year is it?

Sent from my SM-G360P using ThumperTalk mobile app

On the 02-07 CR250r case reed engines the oem pipe is hard to beat performance wise.  I did some testing with pretty much all the pipes about 15 yrs back.  The only pipe I found to outperform the oem was a Doma.  Since they no longer import them an HGS is suppose to be a close copy of that.  It enhances the entire rpm range & adds overrev vs oem.

The FMF Fatty was the worst performer with it giving the engine more in the mid at the sacrifice of less low & top.  Basically a midrange pipe..

The FMF gnarly works good for off road with less comp. on the engine (05-07 models) by modifying the head.  It will help by retaining the topend power with a smooth low-mid transition.  

The FMF SST mimics the oem pipe powerband with a linear feel to it.  

The PC Works pipe enhanced the mid-top at the sacrifice of some lowend.  Good for mx use.

PC offers 3 pipes & makes a Platinum 2 pipe that is suppose to work in the low-mid for offroad / woods type like the gnarly, but not sacrifice as much up top in comparison.

The spooge has nothing to do with silencers as that is a separate issue for example jetting causing an overly rich condition.

Keep in my mind that the 02-07 CR250r case reed engine performs differently with the pipes above vs. the 92-01 CR2 HPP engines.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/parts-accessories/141_0302_2003_two_stroke_exhaust_test

Edited by H4L

Your bikeLooks awesome dude! Trying to upload a pic,it took foreve! As you can see the pipe is dented in a few places.I'm kind of skeptical about riding it because it has dents in it right by the area where it comes off of the motor.I heard that you can blow the motor if that area has dents in the pipe,don't know if it's true or not.I also have to get a set of radiator guards for it cause 1 is missing.Besides those things the bike is in great shape,I just got it last weekend.It's a 2005.

20170805_174515.jpg

This would also be a good option for your oem pipe.  Cost effective as well.

7 minutes ago, Chris Carey said:

As you can see the pipe is dented in a few places.I'm kind of skeptical about riding it because it has dents in it right by the area where it comes off of the motor.I heard that you can blow the motor if that area has dents in the pipe,don't know if it's true or not.

If the pipe inlet portion going into the cyl. has a gap that can cause a lean cond. since it's allowing air in the engine.  That could potentially cause the engine to seize depending on how bad it is.  Check your plug as that is a good indicator on how the engine is running lean or rich condition.  You can also hear a lean cond. if your experienced enough with 2 strokes.   

On 8/13/2017 at 9:13 PM, Chris Carey said:

I have a 2005 CR250 ...I'm deciding between an FMF pipe and silencer combo or Procircuit Platinum pipe and silencer combo,don't know what combo to go with.I don't race but I do occasionally go to a practice track and I also trail ride.Can anyone offer their opinion as to which of the two I should go with and why.Thanx!

For trail riding, Pro Circuit makes an offroad specific pipe for the '05, called Platinum 2 Pipe. It's heavy duty construction out of 18 ga metal. It delivers power gains in the low and midrange. And PC has an offroad specific spark arrest silencer, Type 296.