2017 fe 501 questions

I have a 2017 husqvarna fe 501 that I bought new. It's mostly stock, it has zeta led blinkers up front and a Sicass racing tail light assembly with led blinkers in back. 13/48 sprockets, and that's about it with 700 miles on it... Today riding single track I went down and laid the bike down on the clutch side, when I picked it up I had no clutch pressure. After pumping the clutch I had pressure so I rode directly to the trail head and loaded in the truck. I went home and bled the clutch assuming I had air in the line, only to find very little fluid. After bleeding and refilling the clutch was fine, but I later noticed a check engine light on for about 5 mins. After shutting the bike off the light went off and never came back on. Now I'm confused and don't know if it is something I should worry about or not? This is the first bike I've ever owned that has a check engine light so any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all,  Cody.

If your clutch continues to lose pressure, after you've refilled, then like a lot of others your slave cylinder piston seal has failed.  The brake fluid goes past the seal into the crankcase, which isn't good.  If your bike's under warranty, I'd take it back and have them replace the clutch slave cylinder as neither Husky or Magura seems to want to offer a seal kit to fix it.  If out of warranty,  you'd have to buy a new slave cylinder.  I think they are around $150?  There is a thread a few down from this one that describes the problem.  Some folks are buying Oberon after market slave cylinders (CLU-4000 I think) which has a lifetime warranty, and a company that seems very interested in keeping their customers happy.  Oberon is aware of the problem and has a unit they are about to sell for our bikes.   They sent me a pre-production unit, part # CLU-1000.  Not sure what the difference might be between the 1000 and 4000 (elastomer material maybe?).  AllBalls Racing is working on a replacement seal kit that we can use to replace the seals in the existing unit.  In any case, if you have to shell out money to fix it, the last thing I would do is buy another Magura as it will likely fail as well since they don't seem to know what the problem is.  My guess - they changed to DOT brake fluid in the 17's and are still using seal materials that were only good for mineral oil.

On the brake fluid in the motor oil - change your oil to reduce the risk of damage.

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 3

Thanks a for a great answer Mark, I see the 5 pages of answers to my questions just below. Now I feel like an idiot for asking when all of my answers are in another thread, but thanks again I'm under warranty but u think I'll order the suggested Oberon slave just for piece of mind!

2 hours ago, jcodyj said:

Thanks a for a great answer Mark, I see the 5 pages of answers to my questions just below. Now I feel like an idiot for asking when all of my answers are in another thread, but thanks again I'm under warranty but u think I'll order the suggested Oberon slave just for piece of mind!

If you can get your dealer to throw a new slave on your bike, you might want to hold off a couple of weeks until Oberon has the new part on their site and ready to ship.  

I dropped the 501 off at the dealer today. I'll see what they do for me. That might be the best bet tho. You TT guys are pretty awesome, if there's no solution to a problem you guys find a company and talk them into making a solution!

• Like 1

Another option besides the Oberon is Rekluse.  Their slave cylinder works with the stock clutch and is $151, made in the USA with awesome service.  My Magura failed at 50 hours and was replaced under warranty but I went ahead and got the Rekluse because I don't want to be stranded in the woods again!  Good luck!

Will

• Like 1