Bought my son his first dirt bike, 01 yz80

Safety first,

inspect the brake pads and rotors for wear, flush the old brake fluid out.

inspect the throttle cable for fraying, free play at the grip (about 3/16") and that it returns to idle without hanging up

Tune up the engine to run cleanly at lower rpms (may require a leaner pilot jet)

a high-strung / low torque mini MX race bike isn't the most user friendly bike to learn on.

Don't buy un-necessary bling parts, rather invest in protective gear.

Perhaps MX courses / day camps if within your budget.

Don't put pressure on him to become the next MX champs, some kids aren't competitive and just ride for fun.

I've been riding with and giving tips to my 13 y/o neighbor for almost 2 seasons now,

he has no desire to go any faster or tackle rougher terrain / challenges,

he just putt around for fun with a few 10 second faster rips once in a while.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 4

Protective gear and let him rip :thumbsup: my first bike was a 80 about same age. Flipped over backwards twice in a row never looked back :ride:. One happy kid there

• Like 2

Make sure he takes it slow and respects the bike. Had the same year CR80 when I was 10 and it was a great bike to learn on because it could scare you, but not maim you TOO bad.

But seriously, ride it yourself and ensure everything works smoothly and then let him rip!

• Like 1

Of course, safety IS a number ONE concern but those suggestions I brought up in that other thread may make it more safe for a first time rider.  Throttle assy., flywheel weight and maybe timing bump would tame it down greatly. The FWW would cost the most but you could probably re-sell it IF he ever gets used to riding without it.  It makes a HUGE difference on other bikes.  

Make sure he takes it slow and respects the bike. Had the same year CR80 when I was 10 and it was a great bike to learn on because it could scare you, but not maim you TOO bad.
But seriously, ride it yourself and ensure everything works smoothly and then let him rip!

I've ridden it, it's quick!
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, NewPingDing said:

I've ridden it, it's quick!

I've ridden one too.  It's got some serious kick.  So, think of it from the boy's perspective...!

• Like 2

Ordered him everything except boot and helmet. We're gonna head up to cycle gear this weekend to get a helmet.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NewPingDing said:

Ordered him everything except boot and helmet. We're gonna head up to cycle gear this weekend to get a helmet.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the new smell of a non-sweaty helmet...

• Like 5

Safety first,
inspect the brake pads and rotors for wear, flush the old brake fluid out.
inspect the throttle cable for fraying, free play at the grip (about 3/16") and that it returns to idle without hanging up

Tune up the engine to run cleanly at lower rpms (may require a leaner pilot jet)
a high-strung / low torque mini MX race bike isn't the most user friendly bike to learn on.

Don't buy un-necessary bling parts, rather invest in protective gear.
Perhaps MX courses / day camps if within your budget.

Don't put pressure on him to become the next MX champs, some kids aren't competitive and just ride for fun.

I've been riding with and giving tips to my 13 y/o neighbor for almost 2 seasons now,
he has no desire to go any faster or tackle rougher terrain / challenges,
he just putt around for fun with a few 10 second faster rips once in a while.

What break fluid are we suppose to use in these?

Usually stamped right into the master cylinder's cap, commonly it's DOT 4.

• Like 1

Prob the best bike to learn on in my opinion because it'll really teach him how to use a clutch and shift gears properly but make sure you invest in some good protective gear or at least a helmet boots goggles gloves and knee pads

• Like 1

Prob the best bike to learn on in my opinion because it'll really teach him how to use a clutch and shift gears properly but make sure you invest in some good protective gear or at least a helmet boots goggles gloves and knee pads

I've ordered goggles, pants/jersey and gloves. Still need to order a helmet and boots.Unfortunately most of our local dealers don't have any of the helmet brands we like. Guess I need to just roll the dice. Do you think knee pads or braces? I wasn't gonna go with either but if it's recommended then I will. He can wear my boots for now. Maybe I'll give him mine and get a new set. I should probably get him a roost guard too, or maybe wait and see if he enjoys riding or not.

Prob wait on the roost guard but definitely go with some knee pads you don't need the best of the best just some basic ones to cover up the and shin because I've screwed up my knee from falling without them and it really sucks and could've been avoided

14 minutes ago, NewPingDing said:

I've ordered goggles, pants/jersey and gloves. Still need to order a helmet and boots.Unfortunately most of our local dealers don't have any of the helmet brands we like. Guess I need to just roll the dice. Do you think knee pads or braces? I wasn't gonna go with either but if it's recommended then I will. He can wear my boots for now. Maybe I'll give him mine and get a new setemoji51.png. I should probably get him a roost guard too, or maybe wait and see if he enjoys riding or not.

Fox makes Titan Pro knee guards, $20. I can afford to buy anything I want, but the simple plastic ones with the velcro wrap arounds work best. Boots and knee pads are high priority, as the feet and knees are the most likely areas of the body to get a beating. While you can get away with cheap knee pads, not so much with boots. Congrats on getting your son interested, and your wife letting you.... I've had zero luck with my 12 yr old son or my wife. It is a bummer for me. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

Fox makes Titan Pro knee guards, $20. I can afford to buy anything I want, but the simple plastic ones with the velcro wrap arounds work best. Boots and knee pads are high priority, as the feet and knees are the most likely areas of the body to get a beating. While you can get away with cheap knee pads, not so much with boots. Congrats on getting your son interested, and your wife letting you.... I've had zero luck with my 12 yr old son or my wife. It is a bummer for me. 

Man sorry to hear that. I hope he takes to it. Anything is better than him sitting in front of the computer. Wife is definitely cool about it! Luckily she lets me do pretty much whatever I want. She learned early on in the marriage that I was gonna do the things I wanted regardless of her opinion.
  • Like 3

I can't find the titan pro's for $20. Did you mean the titan sport?IMG_0662.thumb.jpg.95b37af49dfab68437465cc7789b1fc3.jpgIMG_0663.thumb.jpg.cdc828608bba247cf4d99e744b105eca.jpg

• Like 1