How to check Chain wear

Hi

Tm en125 is the bike, i have checked the chain like i do in road bike (try to pull the chain off from the back of the rear sprocket. Chain seems to back half tooth lengh. Is it the way to check in dirt bike too? How to know if i can pull abit more from it or it must be replaced

7 hours ago, thekeeper199 said:

Hi

Tm en125 is the bike, i have checked the chain like i do in road bike (try to pull the chain off from the back of the rear sprocket. Chain seems to back half tooth lengh. Is it the way to check in dirt bike too? How to know if i can pull abit more from it or it must be replaced

That is sufficient.  Also you can grab the chain in the middle and if the side play is excessive it is worn.  Look at the sprockets, too.

• Like 1

I take my chains out a lot farther than 1% before I change them. I look for bad rollers or binding on the rear sprocket. My Rethol O-ring chain starts off 72.5 inches and is about 74" when replaced.

19 hours ago, thekeeper199 said:

Hi

That's a good quick check. You need to do it in several places, maybe a half a dozen as you rotate the wheel.

I still measure links, also in several places.

what are the negatives of a worn chain?   mines pretty worn... my sprockets still seem to last decently??

4 hours ago, cdf450 said:

what are the negatives of a worn chain?   mines pretty worn... my sprockets still seem to last decently??

My biggest fear from a worm chain is it breaking and destroying my case. 

4 hours ago, cdf450 said:

They will wear out sprockets faster, the potential to fall off or snap all together, or it will slide off and get sucked into your case and take anything else with it.

Chains are cheap and it's worth replacing them. 

An easy way to check if it's worn is to take it off and bend it sideways in a circle, as in not the way it is supposed to go. If you can make any more than a half circle, it's time for a new chain because it's worn out.

To check for tightness, put 3 or 4 fingers at the back of your chainslider on the swingarm. You should have about 3 inches of room there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaybeMe said:

...Chains are cheap...

What??  Mine is $107 the cheapest place on ebay.  That is not cheap to me.

I don't want a breakage or catastrophe, but I also don't want to replace them as often as the people making their living from selling them recommend.  There is a mid-ground for me, I call it 2% wear.

I agree. I've ran chains for 8 years. 350 engine hours on a hopped up 450 with a did 520, $175 Canadian chain!!! Far from cheap. Sprockets once per year at $25 is though!

Really... How often do they actually snap? I've never personally seen or heard of it in my group in ten years. Plus, wouldn't the case saver catch it most of the time? I'm sure I'm due for a new chain... Just too damn expensive though, plus I'm a risk taker

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

I agree. I've ran chains for 8 years. 350 engine hours on a hopped up 450 with a did 520, $175 Canadian chain!!! Far from cheap. Sprockets once per year at $25 is though!

Really... How often do they actually snap? I've never personally seen or heard of it in my group in ten years. Plus, wouldn't the case saver catch it most of the time? I'm sure I'm due for a new chain... Just too damn expensive though, plus I'm a risk taker emoji48.png

I have had two snap, one was a cheapo 420 a long time ago on an engine swapped china bike, another was a master link failure hill climbing a yz450f. I have seen a banshee snap a $150 top of the line chain when a rock wedged in to the chain guard (cracked about 5 other links in the process)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wild Alaskan said:

... I have seen a banshee snap a $150 top of the line chain when a rock wedged in to the chain guard (cracked about 5 other links in the process)

Yikes, I bet that made one hell of a bang!

I had a friend loose a chain when we were going up a hill. It spit out on the ground and he thought his transmission was stuck in neutral for a few seconds clutching and shifting up and down rocking it back and forth... I pulled up beside him and pointed at the ground, you shucked a chain!

Edited by wielywilly-g

2 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

What??  Mine is $107 the cheapest place on ebay.  That is not cheap to me.

I don't want a breakage or catastrophe, but I also don't want to replace them as often as the people making their living from selling them recommend.  There is a mid-ground for me, I call it 2% wear.

http://www.srtoffroad.com/srt-gold-o-ring-chains

I've bought three chains from there and have had no issues, whether it be 125, 250, or 450f. I've had them last the life of the bike until I sold them. Your mileage may vary as I don't think I'm too hard on them.

I got this 450 new in 2011, and it has 970 hr on it. It has had 6 Renthal R3-2 o-ring chains and the OEM chain. So about 1 chain every 150 hr.

I am very agressive, but don't know if I am as hard on chains as say someone who rides sand.

• Like 1

Wow. 970 hours!?!? Let's see a pic of that hour meter. How many bottom and top ends?

What kind of bike?

KLX450R. On the 4th piston, 3rd timing chain, had to get a new athena jug that last piston, been thru OEM intakes, and on second set of Kibble SS intakes, had to get the intake seats ground once.  I have a second one that takes many of the hours from this one now.

Main

klx450main.jpg

and Spare..

KLX450spare.jpg

Edited by wielywilly-g
  • Like 2

Yep I pull the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and keep an eye on if the teeth both front/back are starting to bend then replace all 3 at the same time.

20170510_180010.thumb.jpg.0b02c92e45d089067719c03330142f77.jpg

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, thekeeper199 said:

Well thanks all. I will keep it abit longer... only 40 hra on it and sprockets seems like they have more time thanks

I think I've had my drive set-up on for about 40 engine hours in my pic and my sprockets are still fine so not planning on replacing until they start bending.