250r to 250f (blurring the line)

Bought the WR250r brand new a bit over 3 months ago and then blew it apart.  

- Full FMF exhaust (megabomb and powercore4), K&N Filter, Power Comander V, 13/47 gearing

- Removed the following: AIS, EXUP, Intake-Resonator, Flapper-Valve, Canister, Rear-Footpegs, Kickstand-Switch, Turn-Signals, Relfectors

- Replaced the following: Rear license plate setup with DRC one, Battery is now a Light weight Shoria 

- Protaper Bars with a GPR stabilizer and Zeta handguards

- WR450f headlight and front fender, ZeroG side panels and tail, Enjoy Seat-Cover

- Skid Plate and Radiator Guard

- D606 front and rear tires  

IMG_20170429_111013112_zpsfoi5h0bd.jpg

As it sits now

IMG_20170813_145426729_HDR_zpsssxyehps.j

Here's the crazy idea though.  Bought from a parted out YZ250: Front 46mm forks with the front wheel, and axle, plus the rear shock with the link.  Front will directly swap over with a 1.8 inch length increase and the rear link to my discovery is a direct fit with the rear reservoir for the shock clearing on the other side thanks to the custom fairings (rear hangs a hair lower similar to a OEM lowering link).  Starting the full swap over this week and then dropping off the bike to get everything revalved as well as the spring heights/rates adjusted.     

• Like 1

I love my WRR and ride it almost exclusively off-road with 13/51 gearing and Race Tech suspension.  But at the end of the day it's still a 300 lb. 26 HP dual-sport.  It's pretty hard to "blur the lines" between that and a lighter weight, more powerful, more agile, and better suspended dirt bike built for that purpose.  (That's why I ride a Beta 300 two-stroke too.)  I'm just sayin'...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wwguy said:

I love my WRR and ride it almost exclusively off-road with 13/51 gearing and Race Tech suspension.  But at the end of the day it's still a 300 lb. 26 HP dual-sport.  It's pretty hard to "blur the lines" between that and a lighter weight, more powerful, more agile, and better suspended dirt bike built for that purpose.  (That's why I ride a Beta 300 two-stroke too.)  I'm just sayin'...

That's why this is hilarious ?

I swap the headlight for the number plate but keep the horn so i can beep it at people.  

IMG_20170808_163809.jpg

Edited by KERZ
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, KERZ said:

That's why this is hilarious ?

I swap the headlight for the number plate but keep the horn so i can beep it at people.  

You appear to be a great rider, but that doesn't change anything I wrote in my previous post.

Well pulled the stock forks out but the new ones didn't show up until dark.  Couldn't wait so swapped em in at night.  Ordered fork guards.  Waiting on the rear shock to come in the mail.  Dropping it off at the shop next week for all of it to get revalved/resprung for the bike and my riding style.    

IMG_20170816_100143468_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170816_205620630.jpg

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Post a color picture of the step up photo.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

16 year old kid at the track messaged it to me.  Said I look like ET haha.  Step up is cake.  Hit it wide open and you just follow through.  Looking forward to heading back down there at Englishtown with the new suspension.  The pic up top of the kid sitting on the bike is my little brother.  With me at 200lbs the stock suspension was struggling in the woops.

Just now, mikeylikesit said:

Are you saying you can change the linkage and use the yz250 shock? I hope you are.

I would LOVE to put my old yz shock on my wrr. I'm parting out the yz anyway.

I ordered a 2004 wr450f shock.  Picked up three different linkages from different year YZs.  All of them are the same width they just have different angles.  I'm going to experiment with what works best and then figure out what aftermarket spring is required for this to work properly.  Bike should be done in one week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while but get the bike back friday.  Was waiting on parts from RaceTech in CA.  Spring rates/heights and valving setup for my weight and harescramble style riding.  There's a woops section of road i maxed out at 45-50mph on.  Excited to see how fast i can push it now. :ride: 

Once winter shows up and the snowmobile comes out, it'll be time to yank the bike apart for a Thumper Big-Bore and Hot Rods Stroker

Edited by KERZ

Bike is better than i could have ever hoped for.  Road all day single track and homemade jumps with other 20 year old goons on KTM 2-smokes and didn't have problems hanging in there.  Switched back and forth with a stock 2013 150cc and the way the factory set it up, the orange-bike couldn't take the hits as well.  The WR will always be heavy but at 6'1" 200lbs i don't have issues yanking it around.  Pic is a screen shot.  Jumps are so effertless and smooth now.   

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Edited by KERZ
  • Like 1

There's a gravel abandoned straight road that is mildly whooped out nearby me.  With the stock suspension, 45 mph was the edge of disaster.  I went back for a second attempt and 60 mph is the new limit.  The suspension swap and build was a total game changer.  

IMG_20170910_172621114.jpg

Your into Beta and KTM/Husky territory as far as cost put into a bike , I'd go with a 350RRS Beta before sticking that much coin into a WR ( at the point of doing the motor also) and have the lighter bike with even better suspension . The Wr is a nice bike , not knocking it , just looking at cost VS what else is available at that same price, maybe even cheaper at this point . 

• Like 2